Ampthill anyone?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Rizzo, Tigerbeat, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 934
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:15 pm
Location: High Wycombe, Bucks.

Re: Ampthill anyone?

Post by Dangerous4 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:15 pm

I am totally against the idea of ring fencing, but with the way rugby is going, I can see it happening before long.

Phil B
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2085
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2003 10:49 am
Location: St Julien Les Rosiers, Le Gard.

Re: Ampthill anyone?

Post by Phil B » Thu May 02, 2019 12:49 pm

Could there be a greater fall from grace in the modern era? I sense Ampthill may change venues, but we shall have to see. Why should they? In any case it won't happen, will it?
I could agree with you...but then we'd both be wrong.

teds
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Posts: 385
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:02 pm
Location: london

Re: Ampthill anyone?

Post by teds » Thu May 02, 2019 2:23 pm

So it looks like for their first season in the Greene King Championship no move for Ampthill.
It’s difficult to think how it would work in terms of parking and facilities.

Proposal for the future is a 30 acre site a mile or so from current ground and “opposite” the Centre Parks, subject to planning approvals etc.

Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 934
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:15 pm
Location: High Wycombe, Bucks.

Re: Ampthill anyone?

Post by Dangerous4 » Thu May 02, 2019 3:36 pm

They have decent backing, and within three years could qualify for the Premiership. However, will ring fencing dash their aspirations?

1989Tiger
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 233
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:24 pm

Re: Ampthill anyone?

Post by 1989Tiger » Thu May 02, 2019 6:02 pm

Dangerous4 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 3:36 pm
They have decent backing, and within three years could qualify for the Premiership. However, will ring fencing dash their aspirations?
Depends if the RFU want to kill people's dreams.

JP14
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3854
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:37 am
Location: Neverland

Re: Ampthill anyone?

Post by JP14 » Thu May 02, 2019 6:31 pm

1989Tiger wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 6:02 pm
Dangerous4 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 3:36 pm
They have decent backing, and within three years could qualify for the Premiership. However, will ring fencing dash their aspirations?
Depends if the RFU want to kill people's dreams.
Wake up from Cuckoo Land! The current championship setup is a nightmare, temporary ring fencing for 3 years will allow Championship clubs to build squads and facilities in order to bridge the gap between itself and the Prem. No threat of relegation for three seasons will significantly help English teams on the European frontier too!
"Our Greatest Glory Is Not In Never Failing, But In Rising Every Time We Fall" Confucius

1989Tiger
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 233
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:24 pm

Re: Ampthill anyone?

Post by 1989Tiger » Thu May 02, 2019 6:35 pm

JP14 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 6:31 pm
1989Tiger wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 6:02 pm
Dangerous4 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 3:36 pm
They have decent backing, and within three years could qualify for the Premiership. However, will ring fencing dash their aspirations?
Depends if the RFU want to kill people's dreams.
Wake up from Cuckoo Land! The current championship setup is a nightmare, temporary ring fencing for 3 years will allow Championship clubs to build squads and facilities in order to bridge the gap between itself and the Prem. No threat of relegation for three seasons will significantly help English teams on the European frontier too!
I disagree. If a team wins the Championship, then they deserve a shot in the Premiership. Whether they play in front of 300 people and can only afford £1 million, for example, to pay players, then so be it. They deserve their chance in the Premiership. Also, the team that finished bottom of the Premiership deserves to get relegated.

If you ring fence for 3 years, who do you relegate after that cycle?

Offside
Tiger Cub
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:37 pm

Re: Ampthill anyone?

Post by Offside » Thu May 02, 2019 6:42 pm

I think a play off with the bottom Prem playing the top championship team home and away, rather than neutral ground would be the best option. That may stop the yoyo of teams up and straight down too.

1989Tiger
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 233
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:24 pm

Re: Ampthill anyone?

Post by 1989Tiger » Thu May 02, 2019 7:00 pm

Offside wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 6:42 pm
I think a play off with the bottom Prem playing the top championship team home and away, rather than neutral ground would be the best option. That may stop the yoyo of teams up and straight down too.
They've stopped the playoffs though as a clubs season comes down to a couple of games at the end of May so it makes it difficult to recruit for next season. The current format is the best.

teds
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Posts: 385
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:02 pm
Location: london

Re: Ampthill anyone?

Post by teds » Thu May 02, 2019 7:34 pm

JP14 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 6:31 pm
1989Tiger wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 6:02 pm
Dangerous4 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 3:36 pm
They have decent backing, and within three years could qualify for the Premiership. However, will ring fencing dash their aspirations?
Depends if the RFU want to kill people's dreams.
Wake up from Cuckoo Land! The current championship setup is a nightmare, temporary ring fencing for 3 years will allow Championship clubs to build squads and facilities in order to bridge the gap between itself and the Prem. No threat of relegation for three seasons will significantly help English teams on the European frontier too!
Do you not think that ring-fencing the premiership will encourage premiership sugar daddies to invest more and widen the gap between the championship and the premiership. Championships clubs aren’t going to be in a rush to invest if there is no hope of promotion.

JP14
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3854
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:37 am
Location: Neverland

Re: Ampthill anyone?

Post by JP14 » Thu May 02, 2019 8:26 pm

teds wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 7:34 pm
JP14 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 6:31 pm
1989Tiger wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 6:02 pm


Depends if the RFU want to kill people's dreams.
Wake up from Cuckoo Land! The current championship setup is a nightmare, temporary ring fencing for 3 years will allow Championship clubs to build squads and facilities in order to bridge the gap between itself and the Prem. No threat of relegation for three seasons will significantly help English teams on the European frontier too!
Do you not think that ring-fencing the premiership will encourage premiership sugar daddies to invest more and widen the gap between the championship and the premiership. Championships clubs aren’t going to be in a rush to invest if there is no hope of promotion.
No because I didn’t suggest they will be a salary cap increase, nor will there be for a long time.
"Our Greatest Glory Is Not In Never Failing, But In Rising Every Time We Fall" Confucius

maire88
Top Cat
Top Cat
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:08 pm

Re: Ampthill anyone?

Post by maire88 » Thu May 02, 2019 8:33 pm

Problem is though once a Championship team builds a decent squad, Premiership teams often swoop in for the best pickings!
Formerly hww27
Proud to have been the Tom Youngs Fan Club since 2010
Rhinos rule :smt002 :smt050

1989Tiger
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 233
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:24 pm

Re: Ampthill anyone?

Post by 1989Tiger » Thu May 02, 2019 8:59 pm

maire88 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 8:33 pm
Problem is though once a Championship team builds a decent squad, Premiership teams often swoop in for the best pickings!
Which will be worse if a Championship team cannnot get promoted for at least 3 seasons. That's approximately 1/4 of a players career.

champanzie
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 525
Joined: Wed May 24, 2006 1:49 pm
Location: leicester

Re: Ampthill anyone?

Post by champanzie » Fri May 03, 2019 3:02 pm

teds wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:20 pm
Ampthill is a proper rugby club. Really friendly atmosphere, like Sarries was before Nigel Wray took control and turned the whole thing toxic.

Pitch by the club house is a mud bath, but that could presumably could be replaced. I think the first team currently play on one of the upper pitches, but when I was there earlier in the season there was no seating, some “terracing” with rabbit warrens (literal not metaphorical) in it, and a marquee tent, but no seating in sight.

Be great to see them in the championship.
Have you actually been to watch Saracens? I went to watch when Tigers played there this season and the atmosphere was brilliant. They have got everything we should have. Dont be bitter just because they are better than us!
Come on you tigers!

teds
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Posts: 385
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:02 pm
Location: london

Re: Ampthill anyone?

Post by teds » Fri May 03, 2019 7:58 pm

champanzie wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 3:02 pm
teds wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:20 pm
Ampthill is a proper rugby club. Really friendly atmosphere, like Sarries was before Nigel Wray took control and turned the whole thing toxic.

Pitch by the club house is a mud bath, but that could presumably could be replaced. I think the first team currently play on one of the upper pitches, but when I was there earlier in the season there was no seating, some “terracing” with rabbit warrens (literal not metaphorical) in it, and a marquee tent, but no seating in sight.

Be great to see them in the championship.
Have you actually been to watch Saracens? I went to watch when Tigers played there this season and the atmosphere was brilliant. They have got everything we should have. Dont be bitter just because they are better than us!
Yes I have, both before and after Wray came in.
Glad you enjoyed your experience visiting them for the first time.
I wouldn’t dislike any club just because they are above us in the league.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests