JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: next manager

Post by JP14 »

ellis9 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:21 pm
Robespierre wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:06 pm
ellis9 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:03 pm

Wait until the signings are announced and our performances over the next few seasons.
Long term plans are all well and good but let's hope that his short term plan of survival is going to work.
It will
Your track record of being correct is worse than Tigers current form, but I hope in this instance you will be right.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

trendylfj wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:52 am Reported on facebook tiger group that Mike Ford and Geordan were in the local hero together studying over a laptop for some time yesterday and then left together - read into that what you will
Trying to work out how to switch it on and login :smt043
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Robespierre wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:55 pm
ellis9 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:39 pm I'm confused as to why people want a DOR. It takes away from the plan that Murphy has in place.
It's somewhat reassuring to believe that Murphy has a plan, although there's little evidence of one at the moment.
I hope it isn't one of Baldrick's?
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

AngusMcCoatup wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:42 pm If I am correct didn't Tigers recruit a World Class Argentinian coach after a World Cup before.
He has many similarities to MOC, look at the Aus teams past results under him & the swears the same as MOC! I thought they called him the "chicken!" Michael "chicken" Cheika. NO THANKS.. :smt019
Wasn't he at Leinster at the start if their demise which was compounded by MOC? Given his Aussie performance - No thank you! IMO Stuart Lancaster would be a good option using his Leinster knowledge and RFU experience - maybe the Tigers are in need of a 'school-master' approach in the basics of which they seem to lack?
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Frankly, I’m surprised that Cheika’s name has even been mentioned. He certainly wouldn’t be on my list of candidates. Mike Ford or Stuart Lancaster in overall charge with Shaun Edwards as defence, but what do we do with Geordan ? Swap him for Lancaster?
Semper in excretia
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

In the short term we would be foolish not to involve Mike Ford. He seems to have watched a lot of our games, if only to see his sons in action. This might at least mean he has enough knowledge of the team to give him a chance of pulling off a rescue mission. Parachuting in someone with no current experience of our play would probably take too long to have a chance of doing anything this season.
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

trendylfj wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:52 am Reported on facebook tiger group that Mike Ford and Geordan were in the local hero together studying over a laptop for some time yesterday and then left together - read into that what you will
I just hope they don't get food poisoning there and also from past times the beer was lousy there too.The sign outside was advertising for Chefs & below was written "no experience necessary!"
The Counting House was so much better on both food & drinks.
But yes I feel we need a short consultancy from Mike Ford but as long as it is not tied to a retention of Joe at the club.
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

TigerCam wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:04 pm
AngusMcCoatup wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:42 pm If I am correct didn't Tigers recruit a World Class Argentinian coach after a World Cup before.
He has many similarities to MOC, look at the Aus teams past results under him & the swears the same as MOC! I thought they called him the "chicken!" Michael "chicken" Cheika. NO THANKS.. :smt019
Wasn't he at Leinster at the start if their demise which was compounded by MOC? Given his Aussie performance - No thank you! IMO Stuart Lancaster would be a good option using his Leinster knowledge and RFU experience - maybe the Tigers are in need of a 'school-master' approach in the basics of which they seem to lack?
No he was at Leinster at the start of their rise, he brought through Sexton and won the Pro 12. He oversaw them when they beat us in the HC final back in 2009. When he left Schmidt came in and took them on further. Then Schmidt took the Ireland job, Sexton went to France and everything went to pot under MOC before Cullen started rebuilding later bringing in Lancaster to help drive them on.

Lancaster in a consultancy job worked for Leinster because they had strong processes set up from the Chieka and Schmidt eras with MOC not able to dismantle these before he got sacked. Cullen knew the club and could rebuild and lead. We don't have the same systems to return to, we are a much bigger rebuilding job.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

sam16111986 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:04 pm
No he was at Leinster at the start of their rise, he brought through Sexton and won the Pro 12. He oversaw them when they beat us in the HC final back in 2009. When he left Schmidt came in and took them on further. Then Schmidt took the Ireland job, Sexton went to France and everything went to pot under MOC before Cullen started rebuilding later bringing in Lancaster to help drive them on.

Lancaster in a consultancy job worked for Leinster because they had strong processes set up from the Chieka and Schmidt eras with MOC not able to dismantle these before he got sacked. Cullen knew the club and could rebuild and lead. We don't have the same systems to return to, we are a much bigger rebuilding job.
That's the biggest load of rubbish that I've ever read Sam although I'm not surprised in your case!
The IRFU run the provinces, they decide things, the coaches coach.
MOC won the pro12 in his first season at Leinster and gave debuts to players such as Furlong, Conan and Josh van der Flier.
He also had O'Driscoll's retirement to contend with in 2014, something that has only been overcome by the rise of Ringrose who was on his way through as a teenager during MOC's time there, plus the switch of Henshaw from Connacht to Leinster in 2016.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

BFG wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:35 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:04 pm

That's the biggest load of rubbish that I've ever read Sam although I'm not surprised in your case!
The IRFU run the provinces, they decide things, the coaches coach.
MOC won the pro12 in his first season at Leinster and gave debuts to players such as Furlong, Conan and Josh van der Flier.
He also had O'Driscoll's retirement to contend with in 2014, something that has only been overcome by the rise of Ringrose who was on his way through as a teenager during MOC's time there, plus the switch of Henshaw from Connacht to Leinster in 2016.
The Leinster fans I know complained that he prioritised a boring brand of rugby and didn't advance the young lads enough. Losing Sexton was a blow but he had a European winning squad which he didn't take on any further. In his second season they didn't make the playoffs. Being ditched two years into a three deal isn't a ringing endorsement of his time in Dublin is it?

The IRFU oversees the Provinces this is true but the head coach is still the head coach and how he integrates the development side with the first team makes a difference. Particularly in a system where the majority of your side has to be homegrown.

Thanks for the personal dig :smt054 .
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

:smt078
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

The way I see it is, if we were to bring in a DOR, it is basically demoting Murphy or not going to make a difference to how the team perform.

We either have a DOR who does what Cockerill did who picks the team, sets the team up how he wants etc etc in which case Murphy is going back to his old role or we have a DOR in the shape of the David Humphreys at Gloucester mould who has basically taken a back seat since the arrival of Ackermann and probably just looks after contracts, in which case, what's the point?
Coleshillad
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Coleshillad »

ellis9 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:09 am The way I see it is, if we were to bring in a DOR, it is basically demoting Murphy or not going to make a difference to how the team perform.

We either have a DOR who does what Cockerill did who picks the team, sets the team up how he wants etc etc in which case Murphy is going back to his old role or we have a DOR in the shape of the David Humphreys at Gloucester mould who has basically taken a back seat since the arrival of Ackermann and probably just looks after contracts, in which case, what's the point?
My point is that I think, because of Tigers position, and lack of noticeable progress over the last few months GM needs a leg up. I don't want to see him sacked, or demoted, at least not until he's been given a fair chance. George Ford, in a consultancy role, cannot make matters worse. It should be formalised with a short term contract to give him a bit of clout. I'm not sure what he wants, but I understand he is available until 2020. His experience could help during the rest of this season, pre-season, and the first half of next season, giving Geordan a breathing space to concentrate on his plans.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Coleshillad wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:55 am
ellis9 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:09 am The way I see it is, if we were to bring in a DOR, it is basically demoting Murphy or not going to make a difference to how the team perform.

My point is that I think, because of Tigers position, and lack of noticeable progress over the last few months GM needs a leg up. I don't want to see him sacked, or demoted, at least not until he's been given a fair chance. George Ford, in a consultancy role, cannot make matters worse. It should be formalised with a short term contract to give him a bit of clout. I'm not sure what he wants, but I understand he is available until 2020. His experience could help during the rest of this season, pre-season, and the first half of next season, giving Geordan a breathing space to concentrate on his plans.
George Ford in a consultancy role???? Does that mean Mike Ford getting his boots on again????
I know it was a typo and the sooner he is on board the better - rather him than Cheika
Hehehehehehehehe
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Why all the hate for Cheika? He's a bit abrasive but it's not like we're strangers to that after the Cockers era, and he's got a cupboard full of medals. Is there some incident I'm not aware of?