next manager

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

fleabane
Super User
Super User

Re: next manager

Post by fleabane »

Remember that MOC was not on the shortlist for interview provided to the BOD by the Executive Search company it commissioned. MOC approached the board himself and asked to be considered, and fools that they were, they appointed him.

Murphy was given the full time job after a disastrous set of results because the club felt that it needed some certainty for the recruitment campaign.

All the above courtesy of Ben Kay on Rugby Tonight.

Both appointments went against all recruitment good practice - why engage experts if you then ignore them and choose your own candidate (MOC), and it is worse to appoint a candidate just to get the role filled than it is to wait and appoint the “right” candidate (GM). It is also more costly in performance and cost terms.
Valhalla I am coming!
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

:smt002
fleabane wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:24 pm Remember that MOC was not on the shortlist for interview provided to the BOD by the Executive Search company it commissioned. MOC approached the board himself and asked to be considered, and fools that they were, they appointed him.

Murphy was given the full time job after a disastrous set of results because the club felt that it needed some certainty for the recruitment campaign.

All the above courtesy of Ben Kay on Rugby Tonight.

Both appointments went against all recruitment good practice - why engage experts if you then ignore them and choose your own candidate (MOC), and it is worse to appoint a candidate just to get the role filled than it is to wait and appoint the “right” candidate (GM). It is also more costly in performance and cost terms.
Well thank you Ben. Most enlightening.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Farcical!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

fleabane wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:24 pm Remember that MOC was not on the shortlist for interview provided to the BOD by the Executive Search company it commissioned. MOC approached the board himself and asked to be considered, and fools that they were, they appointed him.
I'd pay good money to know who WAS on the list.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Van Graan and Ackermann were two according to some.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:27 pm Van Graan and Ackermann were two according to some.
Rumoured that Ackermann was the consulting company’s choice. He was interviewed alongside Van Graan. It appears that Lancaster was also approached but wasn’t interested. MOC was out of work and actually approached the board directly and offered his services. For whatever reason the consulting company were ignored.

Imagine next season we might be looking at:
HC- Murphy
AC-Ford
DC- Edwards
FC- Bakewell
SC- Stanko

Given a full preseason it would be interesting to see what we could do.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:53 pm
Scott1 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:27 pm Van Graan and Ackermann were two according to some.
Rumoured that Ackermann was the consulting company’s choice. He was interviewed alongside Van Graan. It appears that Lancaster was also approached but wasn’t interested. MOC was out of work and actually approached the board directly and offered his services. For whatever reason the consulting company were ignored.

Imagine next season we might be looking at:
HC- Murphy
AC-Ford
DC- Edwards
FC- Bakewell
SC- Stanko

Given a full preseason it would be interesting to see what we could do.
Posted elsewhere that I think we'll see Murphy in more of a DoR role, with Ford becoming Head Coach. I'd see them having a good relationship which will hopefully naturally evolve like Cockers and MoC did. Edwards will go to Wasps, he wouldn't have done a U-Turn on Wigan if the Wasps approach wasn't concrete. I'm not sure we can offer much more that Wasps can't. A new forwards coach please. One who knows how to organise a line-out would be a very good idea.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Turning down Ackermann for MoC :smt005 :smt005 :smt005
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Rumoured that Ackermann was the consulting company’s choice.
I shouldn't have asked, ruined my day imagining how different things could have been with both Ackermanns and possibly even Franco Mostert.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

I don't think Edwards would be interested in anything lower than a head coach role for the long term. Maybe short term defence consultant but why would he want to come in underneath two other people?
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

He seems to be the type of person that needs to pull the strings. I cannot envisage him working under anyone but the B.O.D.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

I don't think it's because of the type of person he his, it's because he was a very successful head coach of Wasps and went on to be very successful coach internationally. It doesn't make sense career wise to go back to being just a defensive coach for a club side.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

CitizenSmiff wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:53 pm
Rumoured that Ackermann was the consulting company’s choice.
I shouldn't have asked, ruined my day imagining how different things could have been with both Ackermanns and possibly even Franco Mostert.
Imagine how Gloucester will feel when the Springbok job becomes available and you won’t see him for dust, along with the other SA players.