Relegation / How to avoid Relegation?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Mark62
Super User
Super User

Re: Relegation / How to avoid Relegation?

Post by Mark62 »

WiggoTiger wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:05 pm https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union ... ship/table

Oh dear lose the important 5 pointers against Newcastle and Bristol and I'd say bye bye Premiership. :smt022 :smt022

Lets be honest, are any of the players THAT bothered?? :smt017 :smt017 :smt013
Ask Dan Cole and Manu. Just make sure you’re not standing too close when you do
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

cheltexile wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:04 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:02 pm Any news of an emergency board meeting around? Surely there has to be one!
For what? They aren't going to fire themselves.
Lets be truthful they :censored: should!
Board not been the same since a certain P Wheeler left it. He has the Tigers soul built in!
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

Mark62 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:09 pm
WiggoTiger wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:05 pm https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union ... ship/table

Oh dear lose the important 5 pointers against Newcastle and Bristol and I'd say bye bye Premiership. :smt022 :smt022

Lets be honest, are any of the players THAT bothered??
Their bothered about their wages. Manu did nothing yesterday and Cole :smt017 :smt017 :smt010
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

WiggoTiger wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:12 pm

Their bothered about their wages. Manu did nothing yesterday and Cole :smt017 :smt017 :smt010
I’m afraid that is the sort of rubbish that infuriates me. Look at both of their work rates over the match, Manu can’t work magic without the ball
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Hhmm bearing in mind Manu just turned down very big wages at Racing, I don't think you're comment really stands.

They're (note spelling) trying their best to dig us out of this hole.
Last edited by ellis9 on Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Bearing (note spelling :smt002 ) in mind that the hole is a deep 'un, I'm not sure that even Manu and Dan have got big enough shovels to dig us out.
Semper in excretia
tigerssteve

Post by tigerssteve »

Manu can do very little without the ball. He had none. Neither did May or even Ford. We need to secure the ball or we're down. Simple. Get the ball and keep it!
TigerS2
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Relegation

Post by TigerS2 »

Scuttle wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:41 am
westwinds31 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:04 am It would be a wake up call, as in how many players have a relegation clause in their contract to leave if it happens. There could be several “quality” internationals moving on and we’ll be left with......
Could some of them have clauses requiring Champions Cup rugby. It might not even take relegation.
I have wondered that too.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

How to avoid relegation?
Accept the teams limitations and play a style suited.
Like many teams struggling Leicester don't particularly know what their playing identity is in my opinion.
Leicester are a big heavy pack and not suited to endlessly running around, they scrummage and can carry the ball well enough when energy reserves are not wasted by things such as poor kicking to the opposition back three.
I thought Paul Hill was excellent for Saints on Friday and stumped one of Leicester's big strengths, the scrum.
I believe Murphy knows all this but has been hampered in the ability to carry out an tight enough gameplan by injuries to players like Bateman and Thompstone and lengthy bans to players like Kalamafoni don't help.
The young players are far too loose and lack awareness in their play but Murphy has had few options.
I would play Joe Ford at full back for the remainder of the season, he knows how to play in a scrap and how and when to carry out tactics best suited to the Leicester pack currently.
Leicester also need some scrambling and finishing pace on the opposite wing to May, hopefully Toomua isn't injuried after Friday in which case I'd probably ask someone like Eastmond to try and rescue the situation on that wing.
Leicester's defence from that wing and full back combined was of a shocking standard for two of Saints tries on Friday.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

As to the header,I don't think we can sadly. The stars just look aligned for me I'm afraid and nothings going our way. Bath will be very interesting ,I wonder If the board will have the balls to turn up if the worse happens? They should be paraded around the pitch at the whistle!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:01 am As to the header,I don't think we can sadly. The stars just look aligned for me I'm afraid and nothings going our way. Bath will be very interesting ,I wonder If the board will have the balls to turn up if the worse happens? They should be paraded around the pitch at the whistle!
The Board do seem very detached from the situation.
At the Bath home games you see Craig and Dyson living every moment of the game, same with Wray at Saracens, and the Exeter Guy, sorry can’t remember his name, is always down in the dugout at the final whistle.

I remember reading once that Peter Tom can ce back home in Jersey 90 minutes after the final whistle. Sort of says it all really
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I've heard that's what Tom does everytime he watches a game
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:22 am
Scott1 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:01 am As to the header,I don't think we can sadly. The stars just look aligned for me I'm afraid and nothings going our way. Bath will be very interesting ,I wonder If the board will have the balls to turn up if the worse happens? They should be paraded around the pitch at the whistle!
At the Bath home games you see Craig and Dyson living every moment of the game, same with Wray at Saracens, and the Exeter Guy, sorry can’t remember his name, is always down in the dugout at the final whistle.

I remember reading once that Peter Tom can ce back home in Jersey 90 minutes after the final whistle. Sort of says it all really
Things like this are looked at too much. If we were winning games and titles, Peter Tom being home 90 minutes after a match wouldn't even be mentioned.

This makes no difference to how we play and perform does it?!
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

ellis9 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:00 pm
Mark62 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:22 am

Things like this are looked at too much. If we were winning games and titles, Peter Tom being home 90 minutes after a match wouldn't even be mentioned.

This makes no difference to how we play and perform does it?!
No you are right it doesnt. I can be back home in Matlock in about 90 mins and it doesnt mean I am ambivalent to what happens on the pitch.

I think recent talk of top 4/6 by GM and Board has been a distraction from our true position. I think we need to switch mentality and realise we are in a relegation battle. At this stage it is all in the mind. Take one game at a time etc. We have the players to do it and I think we can.
As Good As It Gets
kend
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kend »

BFG wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:41 am How to avoid relegation?
Accept the teams limitations and play a style suited.
Like many teams struggling Leicester don't particularly know what their playing identity is in my opinion.
Leicester are a big heavy pack and not suited to endlessly running around, they scrummage and can carry the ball well enough when energy reserves are not wasted by things such as poor kicking to the opposition back three.
I thought Paul Hill was excellent for Saints on Friday and stumped one of Leicester's big strengths, the scrum.
I believe Murphy knows all this but has been hampered in the ability to carry out an tight enough gameplan by injuries to players like Bateman and Thompstone and lengthy bans to players like Kalamafoni don't help.
The young players are far too loose and lack awareness in their play but Murphy has had few options.
I would play Joe Ford at full back for the remainder of the season, he knows how to play in a scrap and how and when to carry out tactics best suited to the Leicester pack currently.
Leicester also need some scrambling and finishing pace on the opposite wing to May, hopefully Toomua isn't injuried after Friday in which case I'd probably ask someone like Eastmond to try and rescue the situation on that wing.
Leicester's defence from that wing and full back combined was of a shocking standard for two of Saints tries on Friday.
Not much to argue with there. I'd say the principal coaching points are consistency in defence (most of the time it's working, then goes awol. Kicking to the back three isn't such a problem if you can trust your defensive system. Trouble is the players don't look as though they do!) and prioritising the game prep & planning for Newcastle and Bristol. The Exeter game looks a lost cause unless something really clicks together in training over the next week or two. Still, the England contingent will be properly reintegrated by then. Crazy to think we can have five players in the England squad (including 9, second-choice 10 and 13) but be in the situation we are in.