Relegation / How to avoid Relegation?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Re: Relegation

Post by Robespierre »

For me, last night’s match was the straw that finally broke the camel's back! A spineless performance against our greatest rivals. It hurts to say it, but Geordan Murphy cannot continue as head coach. Someone with proven experience needs to be appointed now! Sean Edwards and Mike Ford are possibilities but is either of them available now? Something has to be done immediately!
Last edited by Robespierre on Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Semper in excretia
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

westwinds31 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:04 am It would be a wake up call, as in how many players have a relegation clause in their contract to leave if it happens. There could be several “quality” internationals moving on and we’ll be left with......
Could some of them have clauses requiring Champions Cup rugby. It might not even take relegation.
As Good As It Gets
Systonite
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Systonite »

Today's matches are of huge importance to us. Newcastle at home to Sale in particular. I can see Newcastle winning that. Worcester may get something at Bristol. There is every chance we'll end the day 5 points off the drop. We play Exeter in a fortnight, against whom our fortunes will not improve, before travelling to face a Newcastle team fighting (against us) for their lives.
We should be under no illusion. We're in the deepest Tom Tit we've ever been in. Relegation is a very very real possibility. If Newcastle get a bonus point today and Worcester win, relegation will become a probability.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Systonite wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:54 am Today's matches are of huge importance to us. Newcastle at home to Sale in particular. I can see Newcastle winning that. Worcester may get something at Bristol. There is every chance we'll end the day 5 points off the drop. We play Exeter in a fortnight, against whom our fortunes will not improve, before travelling to face a Newcastle team fighting (against us) for their lives.
We should be under no illusion. We're in the deepest Tom Tit we've ever been in. Relegation is a very very real possibility. If Newcastle get a bonus point today and Worcester win, relegation will become a probability.
Newcastle may have a home game, but playing at St James Park loses some of their home pitch advantage and playing on real grass.....Sale have a chance......fingers crossed, toes crossed.

Bristol should have too much for Worcester.

Finger nails very short!
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Newcastle could very realistically win their home games v Sale,Saints,Brizzle and us. Maybe its Wuss we are competing for 11th with. Just to be in this position though is a disgrace and quite frankly makes me sick!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:02 am Newcastle could very realistically win their home games v Sale,Saints,Brizzle and us. Maybe its Wuss we are competing for 11th with. Just to be in this position though is a disgrace and quite frankly makes me sick!
I've said as much for a while. In my mind it will end up being a straight shootout between us and Worcester......and Worcester have experience of this scenario. I'm really worried and to hear Murph says he thinks the top 4 is out of reach makes me even more nervous.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

If it happens it happens and nobody can say we've earned any better, how many good performances in all competitions have we put in this season, 3 or 4?
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Howto avoid relegation

Post by Ian Cant »

George Ford has to be made captain with Youngs or Cole told to sort the forwards on the pitch.
Let Fordy go back to letting him just play what’s in front of him.
Show the players the following two away games from last season: my wife and I were at both and these two games; they really showed that with what is basically the same squad of players, how they can win with flair( Sale) and the right attitude ( Quins away:the last 5 minutes making Quins never look like getting out of their 22).
Ford to make on field decisions about kicking penalties.
Last night lots of us were screaming take the 3 when the clock went to 40 for half time. At 6-20 it would have meant only a try away from a bonus point position and 1 more from catching up with Saints bound to tire.
Finally, only the players who are here next year to start. They won’t want relegation.
I must say we have really missed Adam Thompstone in defence and attack. Always give 100% and like Thacker, Crane etc a true Tiger with the guts that we now need.
Come on Tigers you can do this but only by playing keep balk and with 100% commitment.
bb2095

Post by bb2095 »

Something drastic has to happen. It beggars belief that the board and current management structure have remained untouched despite 3 years of serious decline. I feel we as Tiger fans are being taken for a ride. I have no idea how, but a message needs to be sent because this club is dying is a slow death and they seem incapable of taking any responsibility. The Cohen podcast was a slap in the face and was just an hour of him complaining that he finds match days unpleasant now and that he gets stick from the terraces. BOO HOO! Of course it's a tough job, of course no one enjoys losing, if you can't handle the heat get out of the kitchen! And then they have the balls to complain about how negative the forum is when we fans have seen this coming for years but they seem blindsided by it. I actually thought Geordan was the right man and that we were too good to go down but recent events have really driven it home to me that a MASSIVE clearout is needed. Glynn HAS to go, Cohen needs to stick to the business side and stop with the :censored: pr interviews. Fresh blood is needed on the boards rugby committee. We need a PROPER and thourough search for a world class Director Of Rugby, rather than sticking with this outdated Head Coach position we have now. We then need to allow that person full say in who they want on the coaching team though I would like Stanko & Bakewell to stay. And lastly the squad, Polota Nau has been our worst hooker, Toomua has been awful this year and was again last night. Other than Wells all the locks need to go, and we need fresh young, hungry and most of all QUALITY (rather than just cheap) depth all over the park, particularly in the centres and 10.
Coleshillad
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Coleshillad »

Robespierre wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:40 am For me, last night’s match was the straw that finally broke the camels back! A spineless performance against our greatest rivals. It hurts to say it, but Geordan Murphy cannot continue as head coach. Someone with proven experience needs to be appointed now! Sean Edwards and Mike Ford are possibilities but is either of them available now? Something has to be done immediately!
I've said in another thread that I think Mike Ford may be available until 2020. He's attended a lot of our games this season so I'm sure he will have seen where the problems are. His experience could result in a couple of wins before the end of the season, and the bottom line is that's all Tigers need for now. Let's just get the relegation problem buried. Don't forget that relegation doesn't automatically guarantee promotion the following year. The alternative is to rely on gifts from referees, and/or luck.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Relegation / How to avoid Relegation?

Post by Scott1 »

How about Tony Brown from the Sunwolves?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

Well, Worcs are up 24/18 at half time, with three tries in the bag. Looks as if they might well get something.

I just can't see Tigers getting out of this spiral - they seem totally devoid of leadership, ideas and confidence.
Best prepare for a hard 'Lexit'!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Wuss sinbin last 10,only 2 points up. Come on Brizzle!!
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

I'm dreading this round's results.
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

If Worcester hold on and Newcastle win then we're really staring down the barrel. Thank God Wasps' late try at Welford Road was incorrectly ruled out or we'd been in even deeper trouble.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play