Relegation / How to avoid Relegation?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Relegation / How to avoid Relegation?

Post by WiggoTiger »

There is now a real possibility of my proud club being relegated. I cannot see us winning another game this season, we will lose heavily to Exeter, struggle at Newcastle and Quins away and lose to Bath and Bristol.
I'm ready to hit the panic button :smt022 :smt013
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
mol2
Super User
Super User

Re: Relegation

Post by mol2 »

Perhaps that will be what it takes.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

The Club, like the Political elite, is imploding.

We can waffle on to kingdom come but the simple fact is that our Coaching is literally tragically outdated and abysmal, the players either not interested or just not good enough, even though a few are still up for it and the choking element is now starting to show through..

How on earth can a backline boasting England internationals be so poor ??

The back 5 forwards, Thompson excepted might as well not be there.
Yes it really does now looks like Relegation, and Newcastle away will be the literal crunch decider.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

mol2 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:01 am Perhaps that will be what it takes.
I hope we don’t get relegated BUT maybe it would be a wake up call which seems to be seriously needed. I am not sure I could endure us coming 10th or 11th and having more of the same next year...
covrich

Post by covrich »

Relegation would be a disaster, to be honest not making the top 6 would be damaging. But a relegation would be a disaster, we would lose our internationals, probably sponsorship and revenue overall.

Wake up call or not it may cause long term damage.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

It would be a wake up call, as in how many players have a relegation clause in their contract to leave if it happens. There could be several “quality” internationals moving on and we’ll be left with......
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

It would be "interesting" to see which players would stay. Who are the die hard club men that would stay to get us back into the premiership?

The fact that it's a world Cup year may help in that the internationals will get picked for that, and then potentially have a few months rest, but can you see any of them accepting a huge pay cut?

All hypothetical of course :smt022
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Three seasons ago I had some email communication with Cohen and I was metaphorically patted on the head and told to go away. "I know what I am talking about you are just a punter fan" type attitude.

At the beginning of this season if you were critical of anything at the club on this forum you were slated for 'being negative'. Yet the problems have been obvious. A back 5 that is the most ineffective in my time supporting Tigers. A coaching staff (we do belatedly have a forwards coach and a defence coach) appointed on an ad hoc basis: it isn't my opinion - the results indicate that.

A marquee signing who has spent more time writing articles for the Mercury and explaining his coffee preferences, than he has actually playing; what an irrelevance Toomua has been for the club. A cohort of players who seem to be untouchable and carry too much sway in decision making.

All in all a lack of leadership Mr Chief Executive Office Cohen.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Traveller wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:34 am Three seasons ago I had some email communication with Cohen and I was metaphorically patted on the head and told to go away. "I know what I am talking about you are just a punter fan" type attitude.

At the beginning of this season if you were critical of anything at the club on this forum you were slated for 'being negative'. Yet the problems have been obvious. A back 5 that is the most ineffective in my time supporting Tigers. A coaching staff (we do belatedly have a forwards coach and a defence coach) appointed on an ad hoc basis: it isn't my opinion - the results indicate that.

A marquee signing who has spent more time writing articles for the Mercury and explaining his coffee preferences, than he has actually playing; what an irrelevance Toomua has been for the club. A cohort of players who seem to be untouchable and carry too much sway in decision making.

All in all a lack of leadership Mr Chief Executive Office Cohen.
While I agree with most of your post the actual PLAYING SIDE isn't Cohen. He is CEO of the BUSINESS, incl the mechanics of contracts. The playing side is the responsibility of Smurf, Glynn, and BOD reps Kay and Underwood. Since Kay joined the BOD we have been catastrophic and I have always pointed out the influence of senior players via Kay. To my mind we need a much better coaching team, as well as serious work in the forwards. Smurf is going in the right direction but TBH is not of the serious coaching and DOR quality we need.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

jgriffin wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:49 am
While I agree with most of your post the actual PLAYING SIDE isn't Cohen. He is CEO of the BUSINESS, incl the mechanics of contracts. The playing side is the responsibility of Smurf, Glynn, and BOD reps Kay and Underwood. Since Kay joined the BOD we have been catastrophic and I have always pointed out the influence of senior players via Kay. To my mind we need a much better coaching team, as well as serious work in the forwards. Smurf is going in the right direction but TBH is not of the serious coaching and DOR quality we need.
Until Glynn goes/is pushed any progress will be limited and marginal. I repeat what I said last Sept "Milton Haig would be my No 1 choice but he won't come till after the WC" and "Why not ask Mike Ford for help?" I would be happy with either as DOR asap
Hehehehehehehehe
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

Shaun Edwards was/is available... :censored: hell we need him to help turn this ship. The blokes won loads as a coaching member of staff. Why are Tigers so short sighted :smt017
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

He hasn't played or coached us before that why!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:52 am He hasn't played or coached us before that why!
That is our problem, when relegation occurs and every top player leaves the BoD will need a plan as it will be crowds of the 70 and 80's as how attractive are Nottingham, Bedford etc.
Sadly we're an embarrassment and fans deserve better.
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

I know there are a lot of things which need to be sorted but anyone who thinks that relegation is not a real possibility must be from Mars. We could be in this situation at the end of this round

9 Bristol 36
10 Tigers 34
11 Worcs 33
12 Newcastle 30

Lose to both Newcastle (A) and Bristol (H) and INMHO we will be going down.
What to do about it is the £20,000,000 question. The group of players we employ certainly have the ability to get us out of this mess but last night they looked rudderless. It took ages to make a simple decision as to whether to have a line out or scrum in the 1st half. Who eventually made it - GF!!! Can't imagine Johno not making that choice in an instant.

1 I am very very sorry to say this but I would make GF the on the field captain and relieve TY of the pressure and let him just concentrate on his game. The line out was as bad as I have seen it. Even when we did win one the lifters were having to hold the jumper for a very long time who often got the ball after the top of the lift and were on the way back down. Is TY developing the yips? It certainly seemed like it to me.

2. We need to play MT instead of KE from the start if fit

3. JF on the bench to cover FH/FB

4. Get either Shawn Edwards or Mike Ford in as a consultant for the rest of the season.

5. Get rid of Glynn asap

Then we might have a chance of avoiding the drop
Hehehehehehehehe
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Let's just all pray for a Brizzle and Sale win! Might give us the Chiefs loss as a cushion then.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer