Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: Ben Youngs

Post by JP14 »

JP14 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:56 am
amazing tiger wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:18 pm
JP14 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:56 am Through an easy intercept pass and then went into Tigers mode.
So does one bad pass constitute to a bad game??
It wasn’t just the bad pass, it was the Tigers mode he went into of kicking poor box-kicks giving the ball back to Scotland when we should have been pressuring them in their 22. Pretty sure there were missed tackles too.
Just checked ESPN they record no missed tackles from Youngs but my other point still stands.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

I think there was an issue of fatigue on Saturday. The box kick is a precision tactic. Its either high enough and short enough to allow you to attack the receiver or its long and you line up in defensive shape. Once fatigue starts to set in and precision of the kick wavers a little and the chasers loose some energy you get into a situation where some are in attack mode and some in defence mode so are disjointed in shape. Judging when fatigued players require to be substituted is key as potentially is an ability to recognise the situation and adapt the game plan to suit.
I'm not cynical just experienced
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Excuses, Scotland got battered in the first half, fatigue didn't stop them, they had heart!
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

BY had a good game in comparison to the rest of the squads overall performance, bit narrow of you to slate BY by highlighting one or two errors. Second half he was exhausted way before Spencer came on.

The player I just don't get is Nowell, pundits and EJ seem to think he's up to it, but I see so many missed tackles, falling off tackles, not competing in the air for the kick chase, and often a huge overlap on his outside in defence, maybe i'm being a bit narrow!
Coleshillad
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Coleshillad »

BFG wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:35 am Excuses, Scotland got battered in the first half, fatigue didn't stop them, they had heart!
+1. A plan 'B' too.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Scotland had a huge amount of heart, and plan B worked very well.

England did however use up eighty minutes of energy in the first forty, and hence were cannon fodder in the second for a rampant Scotland.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I don't think England's problem was fatigue.

They had a spectacular start 0 in no time at all were 32 nil up and instead of carrying on as they were they tried to press the accelerator pedal, made mistakes which Scotland punished. Then, instead of consolidating they pooped themselves.

Reckless passes, sloppy tacking and too many kicks in field let Scotland back in to it. The poor kicking came from Farrell and Daly rather than Youngs. Yes Youngs got tired as do most 9s in a fast game and should have been subbed earlier. Farrell should have been subbed 10 minutes into the second half rather then 10 minutes to go. In that sort of game Ford is a cool head which is what England needed.