Ben Youngs

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

LE18
Super User
Super User

Re: Ben Youngs

Post by LE18 »

One problem I see that Ben has to contend with at Leicester is our poor counter rucking, he so often is caught out trying to fish the ball out and gets knocked backwards by the opposition counter rucking and coming through, so always on the back foot, our guards must make a more solid defensive shield to allow him to get the ball safely.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Something to do with a mediocre back row who are too slow to clear the ruck.

Apart from Guy Thompson none of our back rows are really up to it. To be honest our props do more effective work at the breakdown than all bar Thompson and Spencer(who is a lock) although the jury is out on Denton.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Well Youngs, apart from one pretty darn good pass to Launchbury, was pretty bad for England too again yesterday.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

JP14 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:30 am Well Youngs, apart from one pretty darn good pass to Launchbury, was pretty bad for England too again yesterday.
Thought he played well as they all did first half and was still ok 2nd

Not sure how you can say he was pretty bad
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Through an easy intercept pass and then went into Tigers mode.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

JP14 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:56 am Through an easy intercept pass and then went into Tigers mode.
Was I watching the same match as you? I thought it was Farrell that threw the pass that was intercepted, had his kick charged down and kicked the back for the tries scored by the Scots. I have just watched the Scottish tries and did not see a Ben Youngs pass intercepted.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

JP14 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:56 am Through an easy intercept pass and then went into Tigers mode.
That’s the game plan though, Young’s and Farrell kick high & chase if the forwards stop making yards. A few kicks were long and he was probably on the field for 10mins longer than he should because he was clearly fatigued but that’s not his fault.

You can argue Farrell should have been aware and started changing the plan and going for territory but I imagine BY would be dropped if he went renegade.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Farrells' defensive work was poor ( if not hitting high -he doesn't tackle well) and was fatigued around 50 min mark.EJ did him and England no favours by not bringing Ford on earlier.

Thought Ben had a pretty good game. Moving ball quick from breakdown and mixing it up with kicking - not over reliant on either. Admitted he looked tired about 60 min

Congrats Ben.......... :smt054
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Tigerbeat wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:06 am
Was I watching the same match as you? I thought it was Farrell that threw the pass that was intercepted, had his kick charged down and kicked the back for the tries scored by the Scots. I have just watched the Scottish tries and did not see a Ben Youngs pass intercepted.
Ben did throw an intercepted pass that led to a Scottish breakout but the player was brought down quickish and it came to nothing.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

I too though Ben Youngs had a good game. The problem with England for over a year now is Eddie Jones’ training method is so physical that the whole match day squad looks shattered by half time. Genge and the whole front row were great first half but then faded rapidly hence Cole’s early introduction.
Just hope our contingent can come back roaring v Saints!
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Ben had a pretty good game for England, but like many others, was exhausted by the 60 minute mark. E.J. should have made a couple of changes at half time in the pack, and the rest after Scotland had scored their third try.

It also showed that Farrell's captaincy is flawed, as well as his game falling apart after half time.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:06 am
Sorry Tigerbeat, should’ve been clearer, Youngs did throw a pass which was easily intercepted but it was not capitalised by the Scots, it was still a bad decision because the defender was in front of him for ages before he passed the ball!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Yes,it was worse than Farrells in one way,it wasn't even an interception it was a pass!
Last edited by Scott1 on Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
amazing tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by amazing tiger »

So does one bad pass constitute to a bad game??
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

amazing tiger wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:18 pm
So does one bad pass constitute to a bad game??
It wasn’t just the bad pass, it was the Tigers mode he went into of kicking poor box-kicks giving the ball back to Scotland when we should have been pressuring them in their 22. Pretty sure there were missed tackles too.