Ben Youngs

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Mark62
Super User
Super User

Ben Youngs

Post by Mark62 »

YBY has become very much a marmite player with Tigers supporters.

However his achievement on Saturday, when he becomes England’s most capped scrum half must be applauded.
He also draws level with Rory Underwood as Tigers most capped international, with the 2 of them being joined by Dan Cole when he gets on the pitch.

Well done Ben and Dan and May those caps be increased when you get to Japan :smt026 :smt026
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Re: Ben Youngs

Post by Robespierre »

Mark62 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:11 pm YBY has become very much a marmite player with Tigers supporters.

However his achievement on Saturday, when he becomes England’s most capped scrum half must be applauded.
He also draws level with Rory Underwood as Tigers most capped international, with the 2 of them being joined by Dan Cole when he gets on the pitch.

Well done Ben and Dan and May those caps be increased when you get to Japan :smt026 :smt026
Sorry, but don’t get to the Marmite reference? Explain please! He’s been an outstanding scrum half who seems to have changed in as much as we rarely see the sniping runs anymore from the set piece but a hell of a lot more box kicks and no longer plays intuitively. If he is playing to instructions from Eddie and Geordan then we, the spectators would rather see the Ben Youngs of old. Whatever, congratulations to him on being England’s most capped scrum half!
Last edited by Robespierre on Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Semper in excretia
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

I personally feel he is a very talented international scrum half, and the stats back this. There are some however on this forum that feel that he shouldn’t be in the starting 15.
Hence the marmite reference
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Some achievement to become the most capped England scrum half. Congratulations Ben.
I'm not cynical just experienced
PGD
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by PGD »

Mark62 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:11 pm YBY has become very much a marmite player with Tigers supporters.
I understand. Ben has been a good 9 for Tigers and England, certainly world class & I've enjoyed watching him take a defence apart. But I wish he'd use his box kicking with more thought: often the ball travels little more than 5m: little territory gained, but the ball's now in our opponent's hands. More than once a try for the opposition has come from this.

I wish he'd recycle quicker at the breakdown, too. By the time Ben's passed the ball, the opposition defence has reformed. Shazzam doesn't have the vision of the game Ben often does, but he gets the ball moving quicker to try to catch the opposition unready.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

Well deserved Ben. I wish some people would realise that the SH role at international and club level is set by the coaches.
Kicking possession away will often be his second option but it's do as we say or sit on the bench more often than not

This lad has earned his place in England and Tigers history.
A life long Tiger
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

chewbacca wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:48 pm Some achievement to become the most capped England scrum half. Congratulations Ben.
+1 :smt023. There are, IMO, better 9's out there but only very few that can wear an England shirt.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Well done Ben. Thoroughly deserved and more caps to come.

England's best and most rounded scrum half. Congratulations Lenny!!
Baz

Post by Baz »

"Sorry, but don’t get the Marmite reference?"
Mark 62, it can be put more succinctly: you either love it, or hate it!
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I think Ben Youngs is a very talented player who quite regularly plays poorly for Tigers and yet generally plays well for England.
I can never make up my mind if that is coaching, the players mind set, tactics or the players around him. I find it very frustrating whatever it is.
Anyway, well done to him and good luck (but not too much luck ... because obviously I want Scotland to win... unlikely I know but .. you never know)
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

mightymouse wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:46 am I think Ben Youngs is a very talented player who quite regularly plays poorly for Tigers and yet generally plays well for England.
I can never make up my mind if that is coaching, the players mind set, tactics or the players around him. I find it very frustrating whatever it is.
Anyway, well done to him and good luck (but not too much luck ... because obviously I want Scotland to win... unlikely I know but .. you never know)
It is just front foot ball imo...

Congrats to Ben such a great achievement, here's hoping for a snipe and a try this weekend :smt023
BengalTiger

Post by BengalTiger »

Ben Youngs is half the player for Tigers than for England, IMHO

That said I am proud he is a Tigers player and are lucky to have him on our books.

The reasons he plays better (most of the time ) for England may be motivation, tactics, personel or just he is on a different training cycle to his tigers teammates.

All these guys are elite athletes and so their training cycles are very individual and he may have heavy blocks of training during the season to peak for the 6 nations and the autumn internationals not for the league schedule so will be playing with heavy legs etc. and so look ponderous at times, Cole was the same last few seasons.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Many congratulations to Ben Young on this achievement. It's good for the club as well. However, his performances for the Tigers this season have been well under par, and on that basis, as with other players he deserves adverse criticism. No player is bigger than the club, or the game.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Hes arguably been playikg behind the worse set of loose forwards in the league for the majority of this season. I can't remember a good performance from any of our scrum halves this season, and that suggests a pack issue to me.
Grumpy of Crumbie

Post by Grumpy of Crumbie »

It's just so obvious to me. Any scrum half requires his forwards to be going forward and the ball to be presented quickly and securely. This allows support runners to time their runs and provides a stable platform for box kicking, distribution of quick ball and the opportunity to make a break. Yes style of play will be down to coaching but whatever a scrum half is asked to do he relies on his forwards to provide the platform.

England have largely had this, except against Wales, Tigers haven't for a good while. I note Ben White has also been criticised. Conor Murray who is recognised as one of the best in the business didn't look to good against England with an Irish pack on the back foot.

Likewise a significant influence on whether a box kick is good or bad is the quality of the chase. England have excelled at this, Tigers have been very poor.
If you don't go in hard it's not a tackle it's an insult.