ARE THERE ANY LAWS IN THE GAME THAT YOU WOULD CHANGE?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

ARE THERE ANY LAWS IN THE GAME THAT YOU WOULD CHANGE?

Post by Dangerous4 »

I'm sure there must be a good few. What would you change, and why?

Sorry if this has been done before.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: ARE THERE ANY LAWS IN THE GAME THAT YOU WOULD CHANGE?

Post by JP14 »

Choke tackle Maul in open play, it’s boring and just lazy defending.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
voice of the crumbie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Dangerous4 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:34 pm I'm sure there must be a good few. What would you change, and why?

Sorry if this has been done before.
1. Set a time limit for forming up at the line out and throwing the ball in. Too much time wasting. There seems to be a comittee meeting before each line out, then the players saunter up and get in position, then a player (usually a prop) walks over to the hooker to tell him the call after which he goes to his position in the line and then we get the throw in. Sanction for failing to throw in within the required time lineout goes to the other team.

2. Set a time limit for the scrum half to pass, kick or run with the ball once the referee has called use it following a ruck. This is another instance where there's too much faffing around (no pun intended). Sanction scrum with put in going to the other team.

3. Penalise any player who does not allow the referee "space" to review TMO decisions. Sanction penalty. For repeated or over-zealous infringements additional yellow card.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

The laws concerning the "ruck". I've put it in quotes because it isn't rucking as was understood for over a century. Players must stay on their feet or take the consequences. When the ball hits the floor, immediate release (as now) no hands (as now) but feet only until the ball emerges after a genuine contest. No dangerous stamping or kicking heads - heavy automatic bans if this broken. Above all, no player shall imitate a walrus or sea lion as at present.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

Above all I would like , proper enforcement of the feeding law. 45 degree feeds to the second row negates any chance of the opposition getting the ball "against the head" and renders the scrum a waste of time. We might as well step over the pill as in RL.
A life long Tiger
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Bring back the jackalling laws where a tackler can compete for the ball wherever he is as long as he has fully released and got back to his feet. Let's stop this fanning out which has caused the tackle count to go through the roof.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

I can't argue with any of the above. :smt023
Not a jock

Post by Not a jock »

Once the ref blows for a try, penalty, line-out or whatever, the team given the ball has 45 seconds to kick or whatever, then open play starts again. I get really annoyed when a penalty is given then the team/fly-half takes a swig from the water bottle, discusses diner arrangements with his captain then eventually points to the sticks. Then the kicker takes a minute to line up the kick. With say six penalty kicks at goal in a game that must be at least 10 mins match time elapsed.

Teach the refs what's going on at scrum time. Immediate yellow card for collapsing or standing up.

Immediate yellow card for first penalty offence in 5m zone.

Anyone waving an imaginary card in trying to get an opponent removed from the field of play, should themselves have a 10 mins on the sidelines.

Only captain to talk to ref and then only one question per decision. How about going down the cricket route and having two referrals per side per half?!!!

Stop reserves playing tag or whatever in the in-goal area and joining in try celebrations on pitch.

If there's no colour clash, all teams to wear "home" jerseys in all games. Predominantly white shirts appear to encourage "white flag" mentality in some away teams. All teams to wear their traditional, old shirts in at least one game.
Last edited by Not a jock on Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not a jock

Post by Not a jock »

Oh, I forgot this one: if you want to wear a scrum cap, you need to pack down in scrums.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Haven't read the above so apologies if repeated but these are the ones that I hate

1. Clock would be stopped at all scrummages as so much time is wasted here with resets etc it really gets to me
2. I would remove the mark from a kick in the 22 as again just slows the game down (not sure on this one though so would trial it)
3. It is not a law but I would have a ex prop as a scrum tmo making live in play decisions on each scrum as it seems only they know what is going on
4. I would remove the choke tackle scrum turnover law as it just makes the game slower
5. Enforce 5 seconds at a ruck for SH to clear
6. Stop teams sealing off and running down the clock at the end of games
7. The maul needs sorting out desperately, the fact everyone now stays in as it wheels around has become a bit of a shambles
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Not a jock wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:36 pm Oh, I forgot this one: if you want to wear a scrum cap, you need to pack down in scrums.
I’m sorry but what a stupid and ignorant suggestion, backs wear scrum caps because they feel safer in them, they may not offer too much protection other than ears. You can’t just ban backs from wearing scrum caps because they don’t scrummage!
nasher

Post by nasher »

Before changing any laws .ensure refs enforce the current laws consistently.get rid of this distasteful practice of “game management” which enables refs to enforce which laws they like and ignore others , then look to change the laws.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

nasher wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:53 pm Before changing any laws .ensure refs enforce the current laws consistently.get rid of this distasteful practice of “game management” which enables refs to enforce which laws they like and ignore others , then look to change the laws.
Agree with the above. Enforce offside, straight put ins and throws, get the hooker's feet of the pitch, penalize the forward pass.

Mark to be taken only on the ground

No lifting at the line out

Passive engage at the scrum.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

No caterpillar
No lifting the lineout
No call for a mark
Back to proper rucking
No dummy runners
Stop the clock at every lineout until the ball is thrown, conversion until kicked.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I wouldn’t want lifting to be ruled out, you’ll be taking out an essential cornerstone of lock-forward play. If we were actual any good at it, we wouldn’t want to making it illegal.