ARE THERE ANY LAWS IN THE GAME THAT YOU WOULD CHANGE?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: ARE THERE ANY LAWS IN THE GAME THAT YOU WOULD CHANGE?

Post by sam16111986 »

JP14 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:49 pm Choke tackle Maul in open play, it’s boring and just lazy defending.
I'd like this law to be properly applied. It's a maul not a tackle. Ergo the defender cannot pull it to floor as soon as the ref shouts maul. So many refs just let the defending team wait until momentum shifts then just flop off their feet taking the tangle of bodies with them. A penalty given on the collapse and we'd see the end of the lazy choke tackle clogging up play and a return to proper open field mauling.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

1.I would put an immediate stop to defending players staying bound in a maul when they are on the "wrong" side, thus preventing the quick release of the ball. Once they are in front of the ball in a maul situation they should detach themselves from the maul and either retreat into the field of play or rejoin the maul at the back.

2. Straight throw-ins at line-outs are policed by the ref so why aren't crooked scrum feeds penalised?!!!!!!

3. And hookers standing in the field of play when the throw in!

4. Back chat penalised more regularly by marching the offending team back 10 metres.
Semper in excretia
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

Having feet on the ground if you are catching the ball. Gets rid of the silly 'duty of care' when a player is in the air.
A rule that says if the ball is playable at the scrum, it should be played and no penalty should ensue. Unless a scrum collapse prevents a try.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

I would change the laws on kit.
All players should wear Forrest Gump type leg braces thus enabling them to stay upright.
Rucks, scrums, jumping five feet in the air etc all sorted!
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

JP14 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:38 pm I wouldn’t want lifting to be ruled out, you’ll be taking out an essential cornerstone of lock-forward play. If we were actual any good at it, we wouldn’t want to making it illegal.
Cornerstone... :smt003 ... didn't lift (legally) when I played. If you lofty swine want the ball you jump for it. Don't rely on us honest sons of the soil lifting you. :smt001

The higher you are the harder you fall. It's just the duty of care argument. Watch Acford, Dooley and Norster in action. How it should be done.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
amazing tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by amazing tiger »

I would like to see the choke tackle gone as well! Another law I would like to see gone is knock on in the tackle I don't see why you should be penalised for making a good tackle
Baz

Post by Baz »

Tigercam

"No call for a mark"? An old traditional part of the game, but revert to the original mark; simultaneously making a mark in the ground while making a clean catch, raising the arm, and calling for it.

Make the recipients of a penalty-try kick the conversion, as before.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Im with Old Hob on this one

Bring back proper rucking - as soon as the tackle is made everyone must release the ball immediately and can only play with the feet thereafter until it emerges at the back of the ruck and received by the scrum half (or acting scrum half). Yes, I agree no stamping or kicking although if someone is dumb enough to put their hands on the ball I think they should expect to have their knuckles scraped .. nothing wrong with that! Still got the scars to prove how dumb I was!!

one other thing that has to change is this jumping yards into the air for the ball and expecting everyone else to stay without a 6 yard radius for fear of touching you ... absolute nonsense. I think it is the player in the air that should be penalised firstly for putting himself in danger and secondly for endangering others with flying feet and studs and knees ... outlaw that immediately .. and make the game safer and far more interesting ... currently its a cheats charter. It was far better when someone used to hoist a Garry Owen in the swirling winds of a Murrayfield or a Landsdowne road and someone with real nuts stood stock still and caught it, feet planted firmly on the ground, and took a right good clattering from the chasing hordes ............ ahh those where the days!
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

mightymouse wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:39 am

one other thing that has to change is this jumping yards into the air for the ball and expecting everyone else to stay without a 6 yard radius for fear of touching you ... absolute nonsense. I think it is the player in the air that should be penalised firstly for putting himself in danger and secondly for endangering others with flying feet and studs and knees ... outlaw that immediately .. and make the game safer and far more interesting ... currently its a cheats charter. It was far better when someone used to hoist a Garry Owen in the swirling winds of a Murrayfield or a Landsdowne road and someone with real nuts stood stock still and caught it, feet planted firmly on the ground, and took a right good clattering from the chasing hordes ............ ahh those where the days!
I'll go along with that, and while they're about it, penalise defending players who obstruct would-be tacklers by standing in front of the catcher and so preventing an attempted tackle.
Semper in excretia
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Robespierre wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:50 am
mightymouse wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:39 am

I'll go along with that, and while they're about it, penalise defending players who obstruct would-be tacklers by standing in front of the catcher and so preventing an attempted tackle.
Ah yes - I was that fullback - poised to catch and in the brace position!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
BengalTiger

Post by BengalTiger »

Only three really
1- Equip every ref with one of those electric shock dog training collars, each time the defending team is offside at a ruck the ref gets a jolt if he does not award the attacking team a penalty ( each team nominates a coach to press the jolt buton, but if replay shows they were wrong the get a double jolt back as they also have collars on!)

2-Anyone voluntarily leaping in the air in open play, for any reason gets red card and an immediate 2 game ban.

3 Ban substitutions apart from for injury, any player substituted for injury cannot play again for 10 days, this is to remove the oversized 60 minute monsters from the game.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Robespierre wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:42 pm 1.I would put an immediate stop to defending players staying bound in a maul when they are on the "wrong" side, thus preventing the quick release of the ball. Once they are in front of the ball in a maul situation they should detach themselves from the maul and either retreat into the field of play or rejoin the maul at the back.

2. Straight throw-ins at line-outs are policed by the ref so why aren't crooked scrum feeds penalised?!!!!!!

3. And hookers standing in the field of play when the throw in!

4. Back chat penalised more regularly by marching the offending team back 10 metres.
I like this post.
+1 :smt023
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Crooked put-ins to the scrum are being seemingly overlooked by refs because of a minor law change at the end of 2017 saying that as long as the scrumhalf was on the inside shoulder of the prop he could put it in however he wanted.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Not a jock

Post by Not a jock »

They trialed stopping the clock almost every time the ref intervened in America and created gridiron. Even slower with many even bigger anaerobic "athletes".
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

JP14 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:18 pm Crooked put-ins to the scrum are being seemingly overlooked by refs because of a minor law change at the end of 2017 saying that as long as the scrumhalf was on the inside shoulder of the prop he could put it in however he wanted.
That seems a particulary vacuous law change to me; you might as well say he can put it in however he wants as long as a pigeon flies onto the pitch at the same time.
As Good As It Gets