LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 6

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 6

Post by kk20gb30 »

Lavanini is the real deal.Great signing.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

The good thing that will come out of this is that if there isn't a sharp upturn with these players in we categorically know the problem is the coaching team.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Let’s hope his discipline is as improved as what people say it is, I remember his horrid shot on Hughes’ knees in 2017!
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

Really pleased about Lavanini's arrival. A signing to get excited about. Not too bothered if he's got a dodgy disciplinary record, in fact, I'd welcome it. There's no doubt we've been too easy / too nice to play against this season. We absolutely need to recruit some nasty, niggly forwards. Plus we all love a psychopath really don't we?
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Lovely stuff! If we do add Liebenberg as a ball carrying 8 then we can well and truly call our forward pack re-enforced.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Little bit worried about all the mentions or building etc.....its got a touch of the Strong & Stable about it.

On a separate issue does anyone know what happens in relation to the salary cap if one of your players retires mid season?
To win is not as important as playing with style!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

POSTIGER wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 1:00 pm Really pleased about Lavanini's arrival. A signing to get excited about. Not too bothered if he's got a dodgy disciplinary record, in fact, I'd welcome it. There's no doubt we've been too easy / too nice to play against this season. We absolutely need to recruit some nasty, niggly forwards. Plus we all love a psychopath really don't we?
Exactly. Someone to make the opposition pause and thing twice. We need more of an edge and he'll help that. Hopefully we can get Louis Deacon to come in and give him some tips on how to keep that edge but not get noticed by the ref.

I look forward to seeing him and Spencer raining in the big hits around the tight exchanges.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 1:15 pm Little bit worried about all the mentions or building etc.....its got a touch of the Strong & Stable about it.

On a separate issue does anyone know what happens in relation to the salary cap if one of your players retires mid season?
In theory that cap frees up if they haven't played.
If they have played then the cap isn't freed and you have to use injury comp.

For example
Polota-Nau used up Crofts cap when he retired.
If Croft had played we wouldn't have been able to sign him.
speedski
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by speedski »

RagingBull wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 12:13 pm Just out of interest a pack of
1. Leatigaga
2. Polota-Nau
3. Heyes
4. Lavanini
5. Spencer
6. Kalamafoni
7. Taufua
8. Liebenberg

would be an average weight of 19 stone pretty much.
S&C are going to be busy :smt005
speedski
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by speedski »

Loving the signings - VERY worried about the cards we could be picking up next season. MUST improve discipline for this pack to be effective.

Must lose the Cole factor from that count especially.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Very happy with the signings, especially Lavanini, who I really wanted to come here.
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 1:15 pm Little bit worried about all the mentions or building etc.....its got a touch of the Strong & Stable about it.
The blatantly obvious PR is pretty funny but only to be expected, looks very much like the club are doubling down on Geordie. Hopefully there are plans in the works to get him some help.
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

An enforcer at last!

Liking this a lot- Great signings in the forwards addressing the blatantly obvious weaknesses in the pack of this season - And not forgetting the previously announced Taufau.

Suddenly having a wave of optimism for next season. Get the fitness levels up, keep the card count down, have some luck with (lack of) injuries and we have the makings of a pack able to bully teams and allow George Ford to unleash the back row. What is not to like!

Final jigsaw piece - a world class coach to assist and mentor Geordie. Then it get exciting.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

I'm reserving judgement until we actually see these players and how they integrate into the team/squad environment/structure. Too many false dawns I'm afraid, players turning up and then not really kicking on. Let's hope that this is the start of something decent, where we're hard to beat, have an edge to our forward play which can win ball (preferably quick ball) and launch the back line. I hope I'm wrong, but we have (again) signed and released a load of players and it will take time to get them to gel etc. It's well documented that the top teams, Saracens and Exeter keep their squad and just bring in a couple of players to keep the level high. We used to do that as well. Let's see how it pans out, but I suspect we'll need an experienced head coach to ensure we get the best out of everyone and that the players coming in improve.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

RagingBull wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 1:32 pm

In theory that cap frees up if they haven't played.
If they have played then the cap isn't freed and you have to use injury comp.

For example
Polota-Nau used up Crofts cap when he retired.
If Croft had played we wouldn't have been able to sign him.
Thanks for that, was thinking worse case/probable case with Denton.

Think Spencer might have to put a few shifts in to make the 23, Lavanini will be interesting, training could be fun.
Target for next season for me is top 6 so back into ECC & a return to fortress WR, a style of play being obvious & some of the youngsters coming through.
To win is not as important as playing with style!