LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 6

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 6

Post by Traveller »

I was genuinely not being negative. Thanks for the detailed responses.

Truly remarkable then how the nine of Vunipola, George, Koch, Kruis, Itoje, Vunipola, Farrell, Williams, and next year Daley. And then the other 6, and then the bench remain within the salary cap.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:15 am People need to wait till the whole picture is shown till they start whinging.
It's all about who they are replacing on the whole.

But then again people seem to expect us to be signing internationals for 3rd choice because you know it's that simple isn't.....

No Green isn't a Mostert but Lavanini would be.

If we can go from
1st - Spencer
2nd - Kitchener
3rd - Fitzgerald
4th - Wells
5th - Voss
to
1st - Lavanini
2nd - Spencer
3rd - Green
4th - Wells
5th - Lewis

Wait and see who goes and who comes in before crying.
Not sure how much clearer I could have made it that I wasn't whinging. Thanks to the respondents. Interesting psyche that makes you find it necessary to tell people what to do, on a forum.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Probably because his frustration of other posters whinging and a lack of sense of the bigger picture boiled over and resulted in you being the recipient of said frustration, Traveller.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Traveller wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:12 pm I was genuinely not being negative. Thanks for the detailed responses.

Truly remarkable then how the nine of Vunipola, George, Koch, Kruis, Itoje, Vunipola, Farrell, Williams, and next year Daley. And then the other 6, and then the bench remain within the salary cap.
Very fair point, and probably indicates why they are being investigated.
It is likely that next season 2 of those will be marquee, Itoje and Daley I would guess.
It may be that the others contracts were negotiated before they achieved their current status in the game and therefore may not at the moment be on as much as thought.
Example of this at Tigers would be Genge, who given his abilities is on a relatively low amount. The issue will be when his contract is up for renewal, Tigers I imagine will have to at least double his salary or he will leave.
Imho the salary cap has now become much more visible and clubs will have to be much more careful.
Example is Exeter where I would imagine they would have loved to have kept Cordero and bring in Hodge, but couldn’t do it visibly within the cap
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Mark62 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:48 pm
Traveller wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:12 pm I was genuinely not being negative. Thanks for the detailed responses.

It is likely that next season 2 of those will be marquee, Itoje and Daley I would guess.
It may be that the others contracts were negotiated before they achieved their current status in the game and therefore may not at the moment be on as much as thought.
Example of this at Tigers would be Genge, who given his abilities is on a relatively low amount. The issue will be when his contract is up for renewal, Tigers I imagine will have to at least double his salary or he will leave.
Imho the salary cap has now become much more visible and clubs will have to be much more careful.
Example is Exeter where I would imagine they would have loved to have kept Cordero and bring in Hodge, but couldn’t do it visibly within the cap
Daly can't be marquee as he's signing from another salary cap club. Marquee's will apparently be Farrell and Itoje next season. Itoje has just signed an enormous contract making him probably the second highest paid Prem player after Piutau.

Vunipola brothers, George, Koch, Figallo, Kruis, Skelton, Lozowski, Taylor, Maitland, Williams and Goode all under the cap...
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

ABClub wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:56 pm

Daly can't be marquee as he's signing from another salary cap club. Marquee's will apparently be Farrell and Itoje next season. Itoje has just signed an enormous contract making him probably the second highest paid Prem player after Piutau.

Vunipola brothers, George, Koch, Figallo, Kruis, Skelton, Lozowski, Taylor, Maitland, Williams and Goode all under the cap...
Thanks wasn’t aware of the situation re Daly.
Of those you list, I would personally think that only the Vunipola brothers, George, Kruis and Williams would be on the big bucks.
That’s not to say that the others won’t be on good money circa £250 k and it does beggar belief how they manage it, when you take into account the likes of , Lamosittali, Wray, Isekwe, Wigglesworth, Spencer, Tomkins and Lewington to name a few
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Mark62 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:07 pm

Of those you list, I would personally think that only the Vunipola brothers, George, Kruis and Williams would be on the big bucks.
That’s not to say that the others won’t be on good money circa £250 k and it does beggar belief how they manage it, when you take into account the likes of , Lamosittali, Wray, Isekwe, Wigglesworth, Spencer, Tomkins and Lewington to name a few

Well, I've heard that when you're a property tycoon, there's an urge to give something back to the community. You know, a bit of voluntary work....
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Mark62 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:07 pm

Vincent Kochs counterpart at loosehead for the Springboks is going to Sale for £500k a year. Props aren't cheap!

Maitland, Figallo and Taylor are all current internationals. Taylor is injured but he wasn't when he re-signed last year.

Skelton would be around the Australia squad if fit and Sarries fought off offers from France to re-sign him.

Alex Goode will not have been short of offers from Prem and French clubs when re-signing. He never shone at International level but has been excellent for Sarries as they consistently challenge in the Heineken Cup.

I do agree, to an extent, with the argument that challenging for trophies and an environment that their players clearly love will mean Sarries can sometimes sign players for less than others offer. There comes a point when it's taking the **** though.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Kitzhof no longer going to Sale, was he ever :smt017
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Yes he was but they've cobbled together in SA to give him a massive contract.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Mark62 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:35 pm Kitzhof no longer going to Sale, was he ever :smt017
I'd missed that, cheers. Reports say that Stormers found an extra £150k to offer on top of the SARU deal to outbid the Sale offer.

If Kitshoff has signed for more than £500k that sums up how much Koch will be on though. He isn't as vital to the Boks as Kitshoff, who will be on more, but Koch is still an international tighthead. Sarries will be paying him a lot.
BG01

Post by BG01 »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:22 pm I would say
Whitcombe, Martin, Eveleigh, Costelow, Browning, Steward are 100%
Gilliland, Law, JVP, are very likely. Law and JVP mightbe pushing to have both of them
Ashworth has a good shout if not for the fact we have one of the standout players in the academy league coming up in that position IMO.
Phoenix hard to say given he was out all season.

Manz and Du Randt are also in the mix. I like du Randt he reminds me of Dingwall at saints.
On the podcast the bloke from Brooksby mentioned that Gilliland has a development contract for next year.
Never believe generalisations
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

BG01 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:15 am
RagingBull wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:22 pm I would say
Whitcombe, Martin, Eveleigh, Costelow, Browning, Steward are 100%
Gilliland, Law, JVP, are very likely. Law and JVP mightbe pushing to have both of them
Ashworth has a good shout if not for the fact we have one of the standout players in the academy league coming up in that position IMO.
Phoenix hard to say given he was out all season.

Manz and Du Randt are also in the mix. I like du Randt he reminds me of Dingwall at saints.
On the podcast the bloke from Brooksby mentioned that Gilliland has a development contract for next year.
Makes sense very good winger.
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:22 pm ...Phoenix hard to say given he was out all season.
Phoenix attended the England 7s Academy Talent Identification Camp last weekend!
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:20 pm Wessels saying he is hoping Tigers might release Toomua should we become mathematically safe from relegation.
This is what really 'bums me out'. If the Tigers have a contracted player then for the sake of the fans, than anything else, they should, if available, be in a Tigers shirt to the last game of the season and not just wander off just because, mathematically, the Tigers are safe. We pay good money to see the contracted squad play every game if possible and it does us a dis-service by diluting the squad by actions like these.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat