Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 6

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Coops wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:14 pm
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:05 am
kpj tiger wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:04 am Will Evans will be confirmed to Quins at 12:00
Expected and not the end of the world. Has potential but been curtailed by injuries and illness. But better English prospects in the league with Willis, Earl, Curry twins.

Reffell in my mind is the better talent and will let him come through into the first team.

Odd that Evans has chosen to leave though as when fit he has been given chances. Can’t really blame the club.
Reffell now announced as re-committing to the club :smt003
Given the choice between the two I think we made the right choice! :smt003
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Have we? Reffell is a very good prospect who is flexible across the back row but Evans is the better openside imo. Suppose it depends what we want.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Good to see we have secured Reffell from the prying eyes of the people west of the border, hoping we can do the same with Costelow.
Last edited by JP14 on Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

JP14 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:35 pm Good to see we have secured Reffell from the prying eyes of the people east of the border, hoping we can do the same with Costelow.
I think you need your compass recalibrating Jp14, Wales was to the west last time I looked.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Mark62 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:12 pm
JP14 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:35 pm Good to see we have secured Reffell from the prying eyes of the people east of the border, hoping we can do the same with Costelow.
I think you need your compass recalibrating Jp14, Wales was to the west last time I looked.
I have no sense of direction! Very helpful considering I’m on DofE this weekend (hence I won’t be able to attend the derby)
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Hill to Gloc or Brizzle?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Chief Executive Simon Cohen is on the Radio Leicester - Tigers Rugby Show.

Cohen: "We've got to rebuild the things that made Tigers really good, when we were really good. Young Leicester players coming through is hugely important and part of the Tigers DNA. We need a coach who will pick them, and that's one of the reasons Geordan Murphy got the job."

Cohen on Reffel's deal "A lack of leadership is one for the game as a whole. It's an issue for Tigers, but people who have captained their country, like Ben White and Tommy Reffel, are going to be very important."

Cohen on next season's team: "What we needed was a balance, and I think there are some really exciting players coming in which will make the team better balanced. The starting fifteen next season will be better next season because of the players we're bringing in."

Cohen on form: "I would like fans to get behind Geordan and the team. We are trying to sell season tickets to buy players. At Welford Road, has it really been so bad you'd give up your Saturday? I'm not happy with 10th and I'm not pretending I am, we need to get the balance right."

Cohen on recruitment: "Ged Glyn (Head of Rugby Operations) has some of Cockerill's players, some of O'Connor's, and it is impossible to recruit consistently then. To create Geordan Murphy's squad will be a contract cycle of 2-3 years. Then I think we will be where we want to be."

Cohen on building a hotel on Welford Road site: "We've said on so many occasions that we won't be funding the car park, that comes from elsewhere, and we spend right up to the salary cap so we couldn't do much else. It will be great for the city to regenerate that area."

Cohen on ambitions this season: "The very minimum Tigers players, fans and staff can expect is to reach the top European competition. I think we have a shot at the top four, and the players are buoyant. We need momentum, and it is possible".
Last edited by strawclearer on Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Scott1 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:11 pm Have we? Reffell is a very good prospect who is flexible across the back row but Evans is the better openside imo. Suppose it depends what we want.
I wonder if this is the Welford Road PR machine at work - holding back the Reffell re-signing to coincide with Evans' departure bring announced to try and deflect the flack a little.

My personal opinion is that this is good news for both parties. Good luck to Will Evans.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

strawclearer wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:32 pm Chief Executive Simon Cohen is on the Radio Leicester - Tigers Rugby Show.

Cohen: "We've got to rebuild the things that made Tigers really good, when we were really good. Young Leicester players coming through is hugely important and part of the Tigers DNA. We need a coach who will pick them, and that's one of the reasons Geordan Murphy got the job."

Cohen on Reffel's deal "A lack of leadership is one for the game as a whole. It's an issue for Tigers, but people who have captained their country, like Ben White and Tommy Reffel, are going to be very important."

Cohen on next season's team: "What we needed was a balance, and I think there are some really exciting players coming in which will make the team better balanced. The starting fifteen next season will be better next season because of the players we're bringing in."
That doesn't make a whole lot of sense, and what would Cohen know about what made Tigers really good as he wasn't here when they were making really good!
In my opinion if players like White are going to be very important then Leicester are heading for big trouble!
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

BFG wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:55 pm
strawclearer wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:32 pm Chief Executive Simon Cohen is on the Radio Leicester - Tigers Rugby Show.

That doesn't make a whole lot of sense, and what would Cohen know about what made Tigers really good as he wasn't here when they were making really good!
In my opinion if players like White are going to be very important then Leicester are heading for big trouble!
Didn't know you had to be a member of staff to know what made Tigers good? :smt017
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Cohen was Head of Rugby Operations for 7 years before he became CEO apparently.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Another youngster may be going according to rugbypass - www.rugbypass.com/news/leicester-tigers ... head-hills
Hehehehehehehehe
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

trendylfj wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:12 pm Another youngster may be going according to rugbypass - www.rugbypass.com/news/leicester-tigers ... head-hills
Hardly played because of injury and now unfortunately Grahamshlaw looks the better prospect. Plus Gigena looks to have settled so we are pretty well stocked at LH.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Tigerbeat wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:12 pm Cohen was Head of Rugby Operations for 7 years before he became CEO apparently.
Yes I do think most folk already know where it started!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Every forum I've read saying what a mistake we've made letting Evans go