Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 6

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 11:28 am
POSTIGER wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 10:28 am
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 4:32 pm

Wonder if him and Walker are both coming?
Two injury prone Quins reserve teamers. This is exactly what Austin was talking about and I agree with him.
I'm not overly fussed by Wallace, he's a good clubman who never lived up to his early promise. Walker on the other hand has looked good when given a chance and played well last night.
Walker is a quality winger and calling him a Quins reserve player does him a disservice. Got bags of pace and use to be one of the top try scorers in the league. Quins fans seemed to think he was coming back.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 11:48 am
POSTIGER wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 10:28 am

Two injury prone Quins reserve teamers. This is exactly what Austin was talking about and I agree with him.
I'm not overly fussed by Wallace, he's a good clubman who never lived up to his early promise. Walker on the other hand has looked good when given a chance and played well last night.
Walker is a quality winger and calling him a Quins reserve player does him a disservice. Got bags of pace and use to be one of the top try scorers in the league. Quins fans seemed to think he was coming back.
A few years back there was a lot of highlight reels featuring his side step. Positionally and defensively good last night. As I said above I'd be happy to see him comeback home.
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

POSTIGER wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 10:28 am ...
I'm not overly fussed by Wallace, he's a good clubman who never lived up to his early promise. ...
Never to be forgiven for being bound on by one arm at 90 degrees, head above the tunnel and steering our scrum sideways so that we lost by a penalty try 3-4 seasons back.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Liebenberg has started well,nice run and massive hit on AAC
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Scott1 wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 2:10 pm Liebenberg has started well,nice run and massive hit on AAC
He’s had a busy game so far. Huge guy, but doesn’t half cover some ground too.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Scott1 wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 2:10 pm Liebenberg has started well,nice run and massive hit on AAC
Similar work rate to Kalamafoni but more dynamic and offers a lineout option. Plus he's captained the Bulls and this side needs more leadership. He'll be a good addition.

Number 8 has been a weakness for a long time but next season we will have Liebenberg and Kalamafoni to rotate. Taufua carrying better than any of the current forwards bar an in form Genge will balance the back row better as well.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Liebenberg off HT
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Crivvens
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Crivvens »

Fitzgerald confirmed as leaving at the end of the season by Geordan last night. No mention of where he's going though.
Blimey...
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

What chances the remaining ‘to be confirmed’ signings are announced Monday now we are safe. I notice Sarries did a good job of announcing their signings, putting little welcome videos together showing the players in action.

Leatigaga, Clare, Lavanini, Coghlan, Liebenberg, Viljoen.

I am beginning to wonder if some of the ‘suspected’ ins like Walker and Wallace are down to what the current incumbents are doing.
For example, the point at which Brendan O’Connor’s future is decided, we’ll see if we have room for Wallace. I believe O’Connor is still in contract but rumoured to have options abroad.
Likewise, what’s the deal with Thompstone? If he packs in, maybe then Walker will join.

Looking at the suspected ins v outs
Ma’afu - Leatigaga
Stevens? - Clare
Kitchener - Green
Fitzgerald - Lavanini
Mapapalangi? - Coghlan
Williams - Taufua
Evans - Liebenberg
O’Connor? - Wallace?
Toomua - Reid
Smith - Taute
Owen - Viljoen
Thompstone? - Walker?
Tait - ? If we could get another class fullback here (does anyone else think like me that Blommetjies is as much on trial as he is a loan?), or maybe even a big bruising winger and use Holmes as fullback option instead.

That’s big churn, but probably necessary given this year. Probably the right balance incoming between experience and raw potential. Now just got to get the coaching right?
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Ma'afu was injury dispensation so Leatigaga will likely replace Feao or Cortes. Heyes will step up to the senior squad as well presumably. Grahamslaw should be ready for some first team rugby next season, he's really impressed with the Scotland U20s.

Tigers have used the injury dispensation to sign props early in the season for a few years so I wouldn't be surprised to see similar happen again if depth is needed. Most sides play cute with the injury dispensation rules, basically using it as an extra £400k in the cap.

I believe O'Connor signed a two year deal in Feb 2017, same as Fitzgerald, so both are out of contract.

Quins fans I spoke to on Friday seemed to think that Charlie Walker was on his way back to Tigers. He won't take up too much cap though so doesn't necessarily mean the departure of Thompstone.

Apparently Wallace has offers from Bristol and Gloucester though. Bristol have confirmed George Smith and Jack Lam are leaving so need openside backup for Dan Thomas. Gloucester meanwhile have a lot of quality at 6/8 but Ludlow as a standout at 7. Either could make sense.

Mark Wilson is looking for a 1-year loan deal with Falcons going down. If Denton is forced to retire, sadly sounding likely, then Wilson would be a fantastic signing.

I'd be happy with Blommetjies re-signing but would prefer Hammersley if he has a release clause. He's a couple of years younger, EQP and has the better high ball game. Both would add necessary fullback depth though.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I think all our props apart from Cortes will be kept. But that’s just my hunch, which as we all know is as accurate as the weather forecast sometimes!
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

This is the thing about our props, the following players are internationally capped:
  • Genge (England)
  • Cole (England)
  • Ma’afu (Fiji)
  • Fe’ao (Tonga)
  • Cortes (Argentina)
  • Gigena (Argentina)
Due to Gigena’s rise to form, I think he could be called up by Argentina or at least he deserves to. Ma’afu is a Fijian stalwart and will very probably play for them in this World Cup, then there is Cole & Genge for England. Fe’ao could be called up Tonga but it’s difficult as they don’t select consistently, and I doubt if Cortes will be called up.

So if Cortes is staying that leaves for the PRC:
  • Cortes
  • Hills
  • Lines
  • Grahamslaw
  • Bateman
  • Heyes
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
1989Tiger

Post by 1989Tiger »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 11:28 pm What chances the remaining ‘to be confirmed’ signings are announced Monday now we are safe. I notice Sarries did a good job of announcing their signings, putting little welcome videos together showing the players in action.

Leatigaga, Clare, Lavanini, Coghlan, Liebenberg, Viljoen.

I am beginning to wonder if some of the ‘suspected’ ins like Walker and Wallace are down to what the current incumbents are doing.
For example, the point at which Brendan O’Connor’s future is decided, we’ll see if we have room for Wallace. I believe O’Connor is still in contract but rumoured to have options abroad.
Likewise, what’s the deal with Thompstone? If he packs in, maybe then Walker will join.

Looking at the suspected ins v outs
Ma’afu - Leatigaga
Stevens? - Clare
Kitchener - Green
Fitzgerald - Lavanini
Mapapalangi? - Coghlan
Williams - Taufua
Evans - Liebenberg
O’Connor? - Wallace?
Toomua - Reid
Smith - Taute
Owen - Viljoen
Thompstone? - Walker?
Tait - ? If we could get another class fullback here (does anyone else think like me that Blommetjies is as much on trial as he is a loan?), or maybe even a big bruising winger and use Holmes as fullback option instead.

That’s big churn, but probably necessary given this year. Probably the right balance incoming between experience and raw potential. Now just got to get the coaching right?
Simon Hammersley from Falcons has been mentioned in The Rugby Paper today. He'd be a good replacement for Tait.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

If BOC joins Evans in leaving & we replace with Wallace that will be a serious downgrade, we will also have a first team squad with no out & out 7, this is slightly diluted if Taufua plays 6 or 8, but I just prefer us with a proper 7 on the field.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 9:18 am If BOC joins Evans in leaving & we replace with Wallace that will be a serious downgrade, we will also have a first team squad with no out & out 7, this is slightly diluted if Taufua plays 6 or 8, but I just prefer us with a proper 7 on the field.
We'd still have Thompson and Reffell as openside options as well.

6. Taufua
7. Thompson
8. Liebenburg

That's a lot better than this season.