Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

WildGoose
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 6

Post by WildGoose »

And I missed Bateman!

And Costelow!

The more I think about it I can't wait for the season to end so we can get on with the next one...
WildGoose wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:36 pm I feel like I could get rinsed for saying this, but I'm actually pretty excited about the squad next season, if the rumours are all to be believed. I also think we'll stay up, since I don't see Falcons winning both games and certainly not with bonus points - so even if we somehow get even worse, we'll be fine. (well, not "fine" but you know what I mean)

Surely adding Taufua, Green, Lavanini, Leatigaga and Liebenberg will get this pack closer to where it needs to be. There are some quality operators in the front row already when all are available, and whilst the loose 5 have been pretty average (save for Thompson and possibly Kalamafoni) I still think there's plenty more to come from Spencer. Then players like Heyes, Lewis and Reffell coming through, the forwards will be much improved in 2019-20

EW Viljoen, if true, would be interesting - he sounds like he could genuinely add some quality in the centres, with Reid as a more 10/12 option, Taute adding some depth and versatility too along with the youngsters coming through - I genuinely think that even though next year will require some gelling time, we'll be "up there" by the end of the season. We're not going to be bullying Sarries or Exeter but we've got as much young talent as anyone else as well as a few very high class operators too.

Genge/OTY/Cole/Green/Lavanini/Taufua/Thompson/Liebenberg/YBY/Ford/May/Manu/Viljoen/Holmes/TV is surely a top class starting XV (I mean, I'm guessing the centre pairing) with players like Kerr, Heyes, Spencer, Lewis/Wells, Refell, Kalamafoni, Simmons/White, Hardwick, Olofowela, Reid, Taute... I mean that strikes me as a lot of "ready made" talent and even more potential.

Predicting a fourth placed finish next year... Or at least no relegation scrap!
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Lavanini would be great, though not confirmed yet, surely?
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

WildGoose wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:36 pm
Genge/OTY/Cole/Green/Lavanini/Taufua/Thompson/Liebenberg/YBY/Ford/May/Manu/Viljoen/Holmes/TV is surely a top class starting XV (I mean, I'm guessing the centre pairing) with players like Kerr, Heyes, Spencer, Lewis/Wells, Refell, Kalamafoni, Simmons/White, Hardwick, Olofowela, Reid, Taute... I mean that strikes me as a lot of "ready made" talent and even more potential.
Why does OTY make the first team when we have two current international hookers? I'm not sure Polota-Nau should start but there is a point when the changing of the guard has to be made - Kerr is a rising star and should be given regular starts or he will be forced to leave. Youngs is a player who can still have an impact from the bench.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

I genuinely like the enthusiasm with some of the signings, but without coaching appointments (and sackings), a top four place is a pipedream!
Valhalla I am coming!
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

mol2 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:02 am
Why does OTY make the first team when we have two current international hookers? I'm not sure Polota-Nau should start but there is a point when the changing of the guard has to be made - Kerr is a rising star and should be given regular starts or he will be forced to leave. Youngs is a player who can still have an impact from the bench.
IMHO Kerr should start next season. Ford as Captain, Thompson Vice-Captain.

Keep Youngs as “Club Captain”.
WildGoose
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by WildGoose »

Fair point about OTY, I guess I default to that as Club Captain. But the point remains, there's a fair bit of depth - if you can pick an international hooker (Kerr) and still have TPN or OTY on the bench then you're in with a shot.

(or should be!)

Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Coops »

fleabane wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:45 am I genuinely like the enthusiasm with some of the signings, but without coaching appointments (and sackings), a top four place is a pipedream!
Is top four place the genuine target for next season?

IMO, the realistic targets should be something like:

2019/2020 season = minimum top 6 finish (qualify for Champions Cup)
2020/2021 season = minimum top 4 finish (qualify for play offs, perhaps target semi final place)
2021/2022 season = minimum top 2 finish (home semi final, target to win Premiership)

Tigers getting back to the top flight isn't going to happen straight away, and certainly not next season. A season in the Challenge Cup won't affect the club financially.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Coops wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:37 am
fleabane wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:45 am I genuinely like the enthusiasm with some of the signings, but without coaching appointments (and sackings), a top four place is a pipedream!

2020/2021 season = minimum top 4 finish (qualify for play offs, perhaps target semi final place)
2021/2022 season = minimum top 2 finish (home semi final, target to win Premiership)

Tigers getting back to the top flight isn't going to happen straight away, and certainly not next season. A season in the Challenge Cup won't affect the club financially.
:smt023
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Loob19

Post by Loob19 »

Fair comment
Loob19

Post by Loob19 »

WildGoose wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:57 am Fair point about OTY, I guess I default to that as Club Captain. But the point remains, there's a fair bit of depth - if you can pick an international hooker (Kerr) and still have TPN or OTY on the bench then you're in with a shot.

(or should be!)

Is TPN back with us next season?
clarkey80
Tiger Cub

Post by clarkey80 »

I hope that isn't a Freudian slip! Hopefully should read "Tigers getting back to the top of the Premiership isn't going to happen straight away"!!
JWM
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by JWM »

New signings. Although welcome, feel like they have been announced strategically as part of a policy of distraction.

The underlying problem remains, because there's still no hint of any responsibility for the state of things being taken by those upstairs who do the hiring and firing of players and coaches. Insanity has been defined as keeping on doing the same things expecting different results.
ST in new Clubhouse stand ... sadly, my back's no longer up to standing :-(
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

All clubs announce their signings strategically
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Loob19 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:39 pm
WildGoose wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:57 am Fair point about OTY, I guess I default to that as Club Captain. But the point remains, there's a fair bit of depth - if you can pick an international hooker (Kerr) and still have TPN or OTY on the bench then you're in with a shot.

(or should be!)

Is TPN back with us next season?
I think he has a year left in his contract so he should be.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Last popcorn day was a bank holiday Monday. What Chance a second popcorn day this Monday?