LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 6

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 6

Post by ABClub »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:06 pm Not every player has to be a Curry brother or a Willis they are world class players, but sometimes you just need a solid prem player.

Armand didn't make his Pro debut till he was 22.
Ewers only really started to play for Exeter regularly when he was 22/23
This is such a vital point. Losing the foundation of academy grads filling out squad depth has led to overpaying for a lot of squad players.

The re-signing of Lewis, Reffell, White, Simmons, Hardwick and Olowofela is a reason I'm feeling optimistic for the future as much as potential player of the season Taufua coming in. Add in Heyes claiming the reserve TH spot, Kerr making his international debut and Grahamslaw converting very well to LH.

Tigers have the talent coming through to rebuild that foundation and depth which allows consistency through the whole season.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:57 am I would play him at 8 ahead of Mapapalangi currently.
Lewis is more of a lock that can play 6 so isn't really compared to him.

I think next season with a good pre-season Fred would make a decent 3rd choice 8 option.
I think pre season will be big for Fred. In the last lot of A league highlights he looked a lot leaner and more mobile. Was looking to move the ball instead of head down. He keeps developing like that and uses pre season to really work his fitness then he could make a difference.

I've liked what I've seen from the trio of academy grad backrows that are in the development squad. Thom Smith particularly looks very aggressive, hope to see more of them stepping up.
maire88
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by maire88 »

Jordan Coghlan (Irish back row) from Nottingham has signed. Been to the Nottingham Rugby awards evening and it was confirmed there.
Formerly hww27
Proud to have been the Tom Youngs Fan Club since 2010
Rhinos rule :smt002 :smt050
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

maire88 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:27 am Jordan Coghlan (Irish back row) from Nottingham has signed. Been to the Nottingham Rugby awards evening and it was confirmed there.
Tigers last pick up from the Championship was Holmes and it hasn't worked out half bad. Coghlan has pace to burn and offers a good lineout option. He could offer different attributes to our other back row options next season.

I've always like Prem clubs signing standout players from the Championship. It's an affordable way to add squad depth and if they step-up it can payoff tenfold. Thompson was picked up from Jersey by Wasps after all.

With Liebenberg all but confirmed:

6.Taufua, Denton, Coghlan
7.Thompson, Reffell
8.Liebenberg, Kalamafoni, Tuilagi
Epaminondas Pules

Post by Epaminondas Pules »

ABClub wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:30 am
maire88 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:27 am Jordan Coghlan (Irish back row) from Nottingham has signed. Been to the Nottingham Rugby awards evening and it was confirmed there.
Tigers last pick up from the Championship was Holmes and it hasn't worked out half bad. Coghlan has pace to burn and offers a good lineout option. He could offer different attributes to our other back row options next season.

I've always like Prem clubs signing standout players from the Championship. It's an affordable way to add squad depth and if they step-up it can payoff tenfold. Thompson was picked up from Jersey by Wasps after all.

7.Thompson, Reffell
From what I gather you can take Denton off that list sadly. Doctors / insurance orders.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Epaminondas Pules wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:24 pm
ABClub wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:30 am

7.Thompson, Reffell
From what I gather you can take Denton off that list sadly. Doctors / insurance orders.
There have been rumours floating around to that effect for a while, sadly. We'll have to wait and see what happens.

If Denton is forced to retire then that will leave a big cap to invest in a replacement though. Mark Wilson might be looking to use his relegation release clause soon and there will doubtlessly be a couple of players shine during the RWC.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Wasn’t there still some suspicion Wallace may be on, still to be decided though?
That would suggest....
6. Taufua, Kalamafoni, Coghlan
7. Thompson, Wallace, Reffell
8. Liebenberg, Denton, Tuilagi
Maybe the Wallace decision is based on O’Connor’s future?
With the Denton issue also to be clarified, room to add another or go with what’s already on the books and place faith in Lewis, Lavin, Gough and Smith.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

What's Coghlan like as a player? From what I've seen he's mobile, physical and likes to get stuck in. Not too dissimilar to Thompson.
maire88
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by maire88 »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:20 pm
What's Coghlan like as a player? From what I've seen he's mobile, physical and likes to get stuck in. Not too dissimilar to Thompson.
He’s a solid, reliable player- works incredibly hard and has featured prominently for us this season. He’s scored a few decent tries as well. Very true what you say- very mobile and and very physical. He’ll be a decent addition to the squad- and he will be missed.
Formerly hww27
Proud to have been the Tom Youngs Fan Club since 2010
Rhinos rule :smt002 :smt050
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

maire88 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:26 pm
He’s a solid, reliable player- works incredibly hard and has featured prominently for us this season. He’s scored a few decent tries as well. Very true what you say- very mobile and and very physical. He’ll be a decent addition to the squad- and he will be missed.
Thanks. Sounds like he is the kind of squad man we need. Should bring some competition to Oval Park.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:07 pm

Thanks. Sounds like he is the kind of squad man we need. Should bring some competition to Oval Park.
McCaffrey came with no credentials and proved us all wrong. Hopefully this guy is like Thompson and can come from the championship and make his mark. Always difficult to judge.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:23 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:07 pm

McCaffrey came with no credentials and proved us all wrong. Hopefully this guy is like Thompson and can come from the championship and make his mark. Always difficult to judge.
It sounds a move away from the current specification list of; can they cover the second row, are they at least 17 stone and can they jump in the lineout. We need more combative options in our pack particularly the backrow so here's hoping that's what he brings.

I'm thinking back to 2009 when we had Moody, Woods, Newby, Croft, Brett Deacon, Herring and Crane all in the backrow. Those boys would fight tooth and nail for everything in attack and defence. Not the biggest blokes but tough to play against.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

We need players with heart, that can dig deep when required, unlike some of the fairies we have playing at the moment.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Dangerous4 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:46 pm We need players with heart, that can dig deep when required, unlike some of the fairies we have playing at the moment.
Offering your services?
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
WildGoose
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by WildGoose »

I feel like I could get rinsed for saying this, but I'm actually pretty excited about the squad next season, if the rumours are all to be believed. I also think we'll stay up, since I don't see Falcons winning both games and certainly not with bonus points - so even if we somehow get even worse, we'll be fine. (well, not "fine" but you know what I mean)

Surely adding Taufua, Green, Lavanini, Leatigaga and Liebenberg will get this pack closer to where it needs to be. There are some quality operators in the front row already when all are available, and whilst the loose 5 have been pretty average (save for Thompson and possibly Kalamafoni) I still think there's plenty more to come from Spencer. Then players like Heyes, Lewis and Reffell coming through, the forwards will be much improved in 2019-20

EW Viljoen, if true, would be interesting - he sounds like he could genuinely add some quality in the centres, with Reid as a more 10/12 option, Taute adding some depth and versatility too along with the youngsters coming through - I genuinely think that even though next year will require some gelling time, we'll be "up there" by the end of the season. We're not going to be bullying Sarries or Exeter but we've got as much young talent as anyone else as well as a few very high class operators too.

Genge/OTY/Cole/Green/Lavanini/Taufua/Thompson/Liebenberg/YBY/Ford/May/Manu/Viljoen/Holmes/TV is surely a top class starting XV (I mean, I'm guessing the centre pairing) with players like Kerr, Heyes, Spencer, Lewis/Wells, Refell, Kalamafoni, Simmons/White, Hardwick, Olofowela, Reid, Taute... I mean that strikes me as a lot of "ready made" talent and even more potential.

Predicting a fourth placed finish next year... Or at least no relegation scrap!