LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 6

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 6

Post by JP14 »

Leatigaga is about 5 stone heavier than Genge, S&C have got their work cut out, hope he isn’t another Fonua!
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:21 pm Yes I'm not particularly greedy,just the 3 Barretts will do
Your more likely to get Barret Holmes...(Russ Abbot character for those old enough....)
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

JP14 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:37 pm Leatigaga is about 5 stone heavier than Genge, S&C have got their work cut out, hope he isn’t another Fonua!
Given the state of the modern game Leatigaga has to be another positive addition of grunt.
I'm not criticising Heyes because he is very young still for the position but he has struggled to add anything at senior level.
Cole is often played around 70 minutes and Leatigaga should lighten that load considerably whilst increasing it in areas like the front of the maul, and with that weight he could be a pest around the ruck whereby if opposition don't bring more players in to cope then he'll disrupt effectively.
He could be a pretty handy addition.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

No mas?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Cole will be 32 next month. With the amount of rugby he has played over his career, we will get 3 more seasons out of him at best. The line of succession needs to start
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

No more today, but twitter indicates some more announcements fairly soon
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

That's a damn good start imo. Feeling much more comfortable now, about the remainder.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Greg Mannion is the new Junior academy manager.
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

Thought Mannion was League, not Union?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

TigerMac3 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:36 pm Thought Mannion was League, not Union?
He left league last year and joined Tigers for this season. Obviously impressed and has replaced Taylor as junior manager.
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

Ahh. Didn’t know that. Still, looks like he’s got a decent crop to work with. Do we know when to expect development > senior promotions to be announced?
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

This is an honest open question - seeking wisdom from wiser minds. It is not inherently negative. I appreciate that Tigers have got to be wise in their recruitment. No team can have a dream team in all positions and stay within the salary cap- although Saracens are 'the exception that proves the rule'.

How does the recruitment of Taute and Reid strengthen us, given the fact that Tait and Toomua are leaving. I get it that Callum Green is an upgrade on Kitchener - but he is no Mostart.

If it is it to allow a re-direction of salary cap to the forwards, is the recruitment of Taufua & Green going to re-shape an outclassed 4-8 in the pack. It will mean we still field two second rows who are not International calibre, an 8 who was not a regular in his club side before he joined us, ditto Thompson (who I love) but is not a player of international pedigree. Denton (but will he be with us) & Taufua.

I was bought up on the "its forwards who win games and backs decide by how many" approach. Why is it that we need current international British Lions aplenty in the backs, but don't even require former international class players in our back 5 forwards.

I repeat - I'm not slagging the signings just announced. They just don't seem to really move us on in any way.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Traveller wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:08 am This is an honest open question - seeking wisdom from wiser minds. It is not inherently negative. I appreciate that Tigers have got to be wise in their recruitment. No team can have a dream team in all positions and stay within the salary cap- although Saracens are 'the exception that proves the rule'.

How does the recruitment of Taute and Reid strengthen us, given the fact that Tait and Toomua are leaving. I get it that Callum Green is an upgrade on Kitchener - but he is no Mostart.

If it is it to allow a re-direction of salary cap to the forwards, is the recruitment of Taufua & Green going to re-shape an outclassed 4-8 in the pack. It will mean we still field two second rows who are not International calibre, an 8 who was not a regular in his club side before he joined us, ditto Thompson (who I love) but is not a player of international pedigree. Denton (but will he be with us) & Taufua.

I was bought up on the "its forwards who win games and backs decide by how many" approach. Why is it that we need current international British Lions aplenty in the backs, but don't even require former international class players in our back 5 forwards.

I repeat - I'm not slagging the signings just announced. They just don't seem to really move us on in any way.
I think we need to sit tight and see who else is coming. Just because the club have confirmed some names who are leaving and some who have signed, it doesn't automatically follow that one group are a replacement for the other.

Steady the buffs!
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Traveller wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:08 am This is an honest open question - seeking wisdom from wiser minds. It is not inherently negative. I appreciate that Tigers have got to be wise in their recruitment. No team can have a dream team in all positions and stay within the salary cap- although Saracens are 'the exception that proves the rule'.

Very fair question. I think you need to look at the bigger picture in terms of how these players fit into Geordan long term plan and strategy, the fact that they won’t be absent during internationals, and the flexibility they offer.
If we take the rumours as read there will be more power arriving in the front, 2nd and back rows, and particularly the arrival of Lavanini along with the confirmed Taufua will make a big difference
Grumpy of Crumbie

Post by Grumpy of Crumbie »

For me it's about building a 'team' of players that compliment each other and work well together. That is one of the key challenges for the coaching team as recruiting players that work well together is a challenge.

Quality individuals of international class are important but don't win games on their own. The Welsh national team demonstrate this with individuals playing for the Regional sides the consistently underperform in Europe.

It's no coincidence that international coaches lean towards selecting players from successful club sides because that is where their performances are noticed. Undoubtedly they are good individual players but they are also complimented by the players around them making the sum greater than the individual parts.

If Tigers have the recruitment somewhere near correct and we return to winning ways that will provide the springboard for more players to be recognised at international level. I guess it's down to the old argument do you try and buy established internationals or those just under the radar that will be cheaper, fit better into the team ethos and provide the opportunity for continuity and development.
If you don't go in hard it's not a tackle it's an insult.