LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 6

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Goshengareth

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 6

Post by Goshengareth »

I think it will be finances that decide who leaves Newcastle. Will they be able to fund the current squad in the Championship? No doubt Wilson will be concerned about the potential impact on his international career. I don’t know if there are parachute payments for clubs in the same way as for the football premiership.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Goshengareth wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:15 am I think it will be finances that decide who leaves Newcastle. Will they be able to fund the current squad in the Championship? No doubt Wilson will be concerned about the potential impact on his international career. I don’t know if there are parachute payments for clubs in the same way as for the football premiership.
Weren’t we linked with Wilson a few seasons back? Would happily take him, seems to play best at 8 for club.

Would also take Williams, great young prospect at 12. Wouldn’t be too fussed about any others, Graham was largely anonymous against us and likely head back to Scotland.
Richardfje

Post by Richardfje »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:09 am
Richardfje wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:28 am I reckon a lot of the Newcastle side are contracted until after next season and probably won't have a relegation clause in either, so it would be difficult to get Simon Hammersley who resigned this month unless he has a clause and others like Zach Kibirige, who I think is a brilliant player and Adam Radwan.

I don't know if there is a way to work around this easily/ let me know if there is?
From what I’ve heard most won’t be leaving. Even Wilson I thought stated he would be staying regardless of what league they would be playing.
That said I assume there will be an exodus of most players planning of keeping up international chances like what happened to most relegated teams of the past few years, even though I don't doubt they will do what London Irish have done over the past few years and signed big names while in the championship, they will also have to let go of big stars who can't afford spending a season in the second devision of any league.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Goshengareth wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:15 am I think it will be finances that decide who leaves Newcastle. Will they be able to fund the current squad in the Championship? No doubt Wilson will be concerned about the potential impact on his international career. I don’t know if there are parachute payments for clubs in the same way as for the football premiership.

As I understand it, there are parachute payments for the relegated Premiership clubs, but I could be wrong.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

I believe it to be the case too as well as being outside of the salary cap. Think that is how Bristol was able to attract top players last year. Pay them a lot in the championship year and not as much in the premiership. No evidence - just what I believe
Hehehehehehehehe
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Yes,I believe there is no salary cap in the Championship and some say there is an "adjustment" season which makes sense if there isn't a cap.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Dangerous4 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:47 pm

As I understand it, there are parachute payments for the relegated Premiership clubs, but I could be wrong.
I believe there was an article about relegation in TRP. There is a parachute payment, hence why the Prem club going down can keep some players to get them back after a season.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Wales' bid to keep Shaun Edwards thrown into doubt as contract negotiations stall...

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... s-16141289
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Magic Easter Monday anybody? If not I suspect we won't hear anything till the end of the season
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

kpj tiger wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:24 pm Magic Easter Monday anybody? If not I suspect we won't hear anything till the end of the season
End of season I suspect. Not long to go, though.
GeoffNeil

Post by GeoffNeil »

Dangerous4 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:59 pm
kpj tiger wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:24 pm Magic Easter Monday anybody? If not I suspect we won't hear anything till the end of the season
End of season I suspect. Not long to go, though.
On my way to London yesterday when my phone rang, and I was surprised to hear it was the ticket office asking if I was going to renew for next season. Told them I was waiting to see which league we would be in, but more importantly what new signings had been made before I decided. I have the impression this was a comment they made have heard before, because very quickly I was assured that new signings would be announced the week after the Bath game.

For those who are interested I was not going to London to take part in any demonstrations, rather becoming a victim of them, and I intend to renew my Ticket but made the decision to delay renewal because of the shambles the club has been this and previous seasons to make my own little point. though did wonder how many had not renewed as the club was ringing round.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Does anyone know the contract situation with Cortes and Feao. Were they signed on 1 or 2 year deals?

For whatever reason Feao has never seemed to get in the squad, despite being a brute ball in hand. Cortes when fit seems to be second choice tighthead.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:47 pm Does anyone know the contract situation with Cortes and Feao. Were they signed on 1 or 2 year deals?

For whatever reason Feao has never seemed to get in the squad, despite being a brute ball in hand. Cortes when fit seems to be second choice tighthead.
I think Heyes has stolen the second choice tight head spot now
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Heyes for me too.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Fe’ao has played a lot in the A League which suggests that maybe they’re just working with him on an asset, possibly his scrummaging.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni