LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 6

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 6

Post by POSTIGER »

It could well be that potential recruits and the club itself are waiting to see what league we are in next season before announcements are made, thus saving both player and club public embarrassment.
Last edited by POSTIGER on Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

POSTIGER wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:01 pm It could well be that potential recruits and the club itself are waiting to see what league we are in next season.
No. Tigers generally do this with signings. Our league position is irrelevant.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Thompson and Spencer were announced in January 2018 and Denton in February 2018. They were clearly fine with it being communicated.
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

ellis9 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:05 pm
POSTIGER wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:01 pm It could well be that potential recruits and the club itself are waiting to see what league we are in next season.
Well that's just not the case is it? Potential signings are highly unlikely to want to play in the second tier are they?

Also, you're only half right in your statement. We tend to announce squad fillers late on in the year but bigger signings are often around February time. For example:

Will Spencer and Guy Thompson announced on 26th Jan 2018

Dave Denton 14th Feb 2018

George Ford was announced on 14th Feb 2017

Matt Toomua announced on 17th Nov 2015

They're major signings announced early on in the year. I also think it's pretty logical to suggest that club and players are waiting until our top flight status is secured. While we are in danger of relegation, the club's budget for next season is surely in the balance and this will have a knock on effect whatever happens.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

POSTIGER wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:38 pm
Well that's just not the case is it? Potential signings are highly unlikely to want to play in the second tier will they?

Also, you're only half right in your statement. We tend to announce squad fillers late on in the year but bigger signings are often around February time. For example:

They're major signings announced early on in the year. I also think it's pretty logical to suggest that club and players are waiting until our top flight status is secured. While we are in danger of relegation, the club's budget for next season is surely in the balance and this will have a knock on effect whatever happens.
Maybe major signings (Taufua) are ok to release early-ish but the squad fillers need to be kept under wraps then !!? Whatever has happened previously, it feels like a Xmas present under tree that’s wrapped and shaped like a toy car. You know it’s a toy car but your mum and dad won’t say “it’s a toy car”...but when you open it on Xmas day guess what.....it’s a toy car !! Pretty rubbish analogy but you get my drift !
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

westwinds31 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:50 pm
POSTIGER wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:38 pm

Well that's just not the case is it? Potential signings are highly unlikely to want to play in the second tier will they?

Maybe major signings (Taufua) are ok to release early-ish but the squad fillers need to be kept under wraps then !!? Whatever has happened previously, it feels like a Xmas present under tree that’s wrapped and shaped like a toy car. You know it’s a toy car but your mum and dad won’t say “it’s a toy car”...but when you open it on Xmas day guess what.....it’s a toy car !! Pretty rubbish analogy but you get my drift !

I like the analogy. :smt045
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

I went back and did a quick tally of notable signing announcements since 2014 and it turns out roughly two thirds have come after the end of the regular season, mostly in early June, so I guess it is something of a tradition. I'll admit then that I was wrong to jump to panic stations. Also quiet scary to tabulate the sheer volume of duds we've recruited over the last 5 years but that's the topic of another discussion.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

CitizenSmiff wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:50 pm I went back and did a quick tally of notable signing announcements since 2014 and it turns out roughly two thirds have come after the end of the regular season, mostly in early June, so I guess it is something of a tradition. I'll admit then that I was wrong to jump to panic stations. Also quiet scary to tabulate the sheer volume of duds we've recruited over the last 5 years but that's the topic of another discussion.
Very true, and I think it started when we signed the Treviso boys and I remember thinking....why ?
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

I would suggest that the delay is for 2 reasons . Players coming will not want to come to a relegated Club and Tigers will not want to be landed with additional expensive players if we go down . A couple of wins will change things .
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Only two teams have announced more than 5 players.
Wasps and Quins
of the teams that have announced 5 players
Bath, Saints and Worcester
Saints announced 1 England sevens and 2 Nat 1 players in that 5.

People acting like we are miles behind others in terms of announcements. We are really not.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

MikeR wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:43 am I would suggest that the delay is for 2 reasons . Players coming will not want to come to a relegated Club and Tigers will not want to be landed with additional expensive players if we go down . A couple of wins will change things .
I would suggest that our new signings are done deals. The notion that some player(s) are holding off to see if Tigers get relegated is perhaps implausable given the recruitment window.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

I do hope that you are right .
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

RagingBull wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:23 am Only two teams have announced more than 5 players.
Wasps and Quins
of the teams that have announced 5 players
Bath, Saints and Worcester
Saints announced 1 England sevens and 2 Nat 1 players in that 5.

People acting like we are miles behind others in terms of announcements. We are really not.
I hope this isn't a criticism of other users. I've been told we are not allowed to do that. Even though mine was a jokey comment.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

CitizenSmiff wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:50 pm I went back and did a quick tally of notable signing announcements since 2014 and it turns out roughly two thirds have come after the end of the regular season, mostly in early June, so I guess it is something of a tradition. I'll admit then that I was wrong to jump to panic stations. Also quiet scary to tabulate the sheer volume of duds we've recruited over the last 5 years but that's the topic of another discussion.
JOKEY COMMENT ALERT!!
STAYING ON TOPIC ALERT!!

You didn't need to do all of that checking. I already said Tigers generally make announcements later than other clubs. :smt023 :smt002 :smt003 (Use of emojis so that the person I responded to understands I say this as light hearted banter and is no way a criticism of them).
Goshengareth

Post by Goshengareth »

Funny cos when on another thread I made some light hearted comment about Ellis9 my message was deleted.