WOULD YOU PREFER PRIVATE OWNERSHIP?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

WOULD YOU PREFER PRIVATE OWNERSHIP?

Post by Dangerous4 »

I pose this question out of interest only, as it is unlikely to happen.

What would be the pros and cons, and do believe it could one day happen :smt017 ?
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Re: WOULD YOU PREFER PRIVATE OWNERSHIP?

Post by ellis9 »

Dangerous4 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:26 pm I pose this question out of interest only, as it is unlikely to happen.

What would be the pros and cons, and do believe it could one day happen :smt017 ?
So long as it's run as a business should be then I don't mind private ownership or the current structure. What I don't want is an owner coming in, spending loads of money, making loads of losses and leaving us up the creek without a paddle whenever he decides to leave.
Last edited by ellis9 on Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nasher

Post by nasher »

What is the issue that proposes this comment. Are we poor? Can we afford to pay to the salary cap? Current performance suggest our funds for players is not being spent wisely if we want to win.
If we wish to remain a mid to lower league side in a ring fenced premiership- fine. If we find a sugar daddy who is prepared to bend or even breach the salary rules are we going do any better? Or be found out and punished.
When cockers was forced out the whole power at tigers changed and nothing has been done to change it. I get the impression,possibly wrongly, that certain players hold the power behind the throne and until that is changed we will not prosper regardless of ownership.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

nasher wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:29 pm What is the issue that proposes this comment. Are we poor? Can we afford to pay to the salary cap? Current performance suggest our funds for players is not being spent wisely if we want to win.
If we wish to remain a mid to lower league side in a ring fenced premiership- fine. If we find a sugar daddy who is prepared to bend or even breach the salary rules are we going do any better? Or be found out and punished.
When cockers was forced out the whole power at tigers changed and nothing has been done to change it. I get the impression,possibly wrongly, that certain players hold the power behind the throne and until that is changed we will not prosper regardless of ownership.
I always refer to Cockers interviews while at Toulon where he said he was not given the cash for either coaches or players. He was forced out partly because he demanded certain players knuckle down to his vision of forward dominated rugby. Called a dinosaur by many, in comes AM, out goes AM, in comes MOC, out goes MOC.......we will know if players have the whip hand over GM fairly soon when he has to make big calls on starting 23. Meanwhile Cockers keeps a lesser talented team in Europe and in contention.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Not bothered how the finances are found - legal of course - just want the Tigers to find some success from previous years. We, the supporters need - deserve it, the players need it and although I reside in Cambridge, Leicester needs it economically.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

TigerCam wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:09 am Not bothered how the finances are found - legal of course - just want the Tigers to find some success from previous years. We, the supporters need - deserve it, the players need it and although I reside in Cambridge, Leicester needs it economically.
Why do we deserve it as fans? When you compare our success to other clubs, well you can't, there is no comparison. No one has won what we've won over the years so why do we deserve it more than any other clubs fans?

You could argue other clubs fans, who have had very little success, deserve it more. They turn up week in week out year after year and have no silverware to show for it. Some of our fans, who haven't seen a league title since only 2013 and an AW Cup since 2017, have decided to not turn up.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I would be worried by private ownership. Saracens owner is a long term fan and has proved that he is there for the long haul, I am not so sure of others. Rugby teams funded by huge losses and massive debt, loans from their owners are in serious trouble if the owner decides to walk, suffers problems in their non rugby businesses or dies leaving their estate to beneficiaries with no interest in rugby.
I don't think we need to worry at Tigers as most of these new owners of rugby businesses are taking over clubs with little or nothing by way of assets, few privately owned Premiership teams own their own ground and the land it stands on. I am willing to bet that should any billionaire decide his team deserved its own land then the purchase would be done in the name of the guy providing the capital with the club leasing the land. Our assets would mean a massive outlay for anyone wishing to acquire sole ownership with little or no chance of a quick return on the investment.
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

The Chiefs have made it to the top without private ownership, no reason we can't again. We just need some of their vision and sensible squad investment.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

CitizenSmiff wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:45 pm The Chiefs have made it to the top without private ownership, no reason we can't again. We just need some of their vision and sensible squad investment.
But they have had huge support from a single family whose company is their main sponsor.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

How are Peter Toms shares held? That could decide whether or not the club is publicly or privately owned in the future, and whether there is an opportunity for a sugar daddy or not.
Valhalla I am coming!
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:55 pm
CitizenSmiff wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:45 pm The Chiefs have made it to the top without private ownership, no reason we can't again. We just need some of their vision and sensible squad investment.
But they have had huge support from a single family whose company is their main sponsor.
Fair point.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

To be honest, I really don't know what to believe in. All I do know is that our club is being strangled by ineptness throughout the current structure, and this has to stop. If it does not, then our days of greatness will be forgotten, as dust in the wind.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I think we need to go back to the days of having a major main sponsor, Caterpillar leaving looked like a sign that things were on the down. Perhaps there is no differnce between having 5 different mini main sponsors or just one, but that has always been the impression to me we should try and secure a big money sponsor.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

JP14 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:48 pm I think we need to go back to the days of having a major main sponsor, Caterpillar leaving looked like a sign that things were on the down. Perhaps there is no differnce between having 5 different mini main sponsors or just one, but that has always been the impression to me we should try and secure a big money sponsor.
I believe Caterpillar left because they were having business difficulties and decided they couldn't afford the financial commitment of sponsoring Tigers when they had business difficulties of their own. That left Tigers with the need to fill the gap and that was done by having more sponsors rather than one big name. Spreading the sponsorship around actually lessens the funding risk for Tigers because, if a sponsor has to pull out for commercial reasons like Caterpillar, there's less of a deficit to try and make up.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I did think that VOTC :smt023
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni