Tigers v Saints

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Saints

Post by Scott1 »

And that's it in a nutshell,theTigers cartel pick themselves it seems!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
kend
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kend »

Apologies if this point has already been made, too many pages to review.

There were two issues that struck me.

Firstly players were making line breaks and getting in to good positions, but rarely was there close support for the off-load; no one was offering themselves as an option rather than go for recycle and phase play. The same with the half-backs; taking it to the line is fine, but you really need players aware and offering options. Half-backs are often criticised when actually it is the lack of options around them that are the issue. Too often Tigers are standing off and tentative. When there was effective support, Tigers looked competitive. They still look like a side caught between different styles of play.

Secondly, the decision making under pressure was often poor. Good opportunities were squandered by bad options and given there are only a few clear opportunities in a game, that will cost.

Tigers look a side low on confidence and buckling under performance pressure. Somehow the coaches need to find a way to take the pressure off the players. Sceptical that any further changes in the coaching set-up this season will help, too late; we have the coaches we have and they have the players they have.

What with Brexit turmoil and Tigers under threat of relegation, it really does feel like the end of days......
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Watching Newcastle v Sale. A Newcastle team - team - yes that word team. A line out that functions. A lineout that wins opposition ball in the final 10 minutes of the game. Ballsy forwards who fight and battle. A defence. They want to compete. They have heart. They also look as if they have been coached.

I hope the XV who strolled on to the Welford Road pitch last night, wearing Tigers shirts. They should cringe with embarrassment, but won't. I cannot wait for some of them to pack their bags at the end of this season - relegation or not. They've never been Tigers - they've just worn the shirt.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Let's hope they take the board with them!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

mightymouse wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:11 pm The other major elephant in the room is the captain. Not only his captaincy or lack of it but his total inability to hit a barn door. He is a hard working industrious player in the loose and strong enough scrummager but that’s not enough. We cannot carry on squandering field position with his inability to throw in. His very first one was massively over thrown and threw us into problems immediately. It cannot carry on like that. Why would the coaching staff not realise that and get Kerr in much earlier.. it just makes no sense. Geordy Murphy has leave sentiment athe the stadium get and start making the right selection and replacement decisions
Is it just a coincidence that we have two international hookers, both of which are massively out of form with the lineout (and the rest of the their games to be honest) at the same time. Should we be blaming the coaches more? It's not as if Youngs or TPN are lacking experience.

I wonder if Kerr will get progressively worse the more first team action he gets...
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

I think all the players are getting progressivly worse at Tigers, although Guy T seems to have retained a bit of skill from his time at Wasps, which will get coached out of him soon I expect.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

G.K wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:51 am I think all the players are getting progressivly worse at Tigers, although Guy T seems to have retained a bit of skill from his time at Wasps, which will get coached out of him soon I expect.
Well a decision is needed making on how best to move forward on this.
Apparently Murphy has a vision, no idea what that is and never will if they don't survive.
If skill is coached out on purpose then I wouldn't be shocked but at the same time would be disappointed.
Big and heavy or mobile and lighter, scrum dominance or scrum parity etc.
The big bucks buys players with both but our board won't spend the big bucks so it's a trade off.
Leicester and Saints were chalk and cheese on Friday, Sarries are a hybrid of both.
League survival and how to achieve this is required first though.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

BFG wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:10 pm
G.K wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:51 am I think all the players are getting progressivly worse at Tigers, although Guy T seems to have retained a bit of skill from his time at Wasps, which will get coached out of him soon I expect.
Apparently Murphy has a vision, no idea what that is and never will if they don't survive.
If skill is coached out on purpose then I wouldn't be shocked but at the same time would be disappointed.
The big bucks buys players with both but our board won't spend the big bucks so it's a trade off.
Leicester and Saints were chalk and cheese on Friday, Sarries are a hybrid of both.
We spend up to the cap. How can you say the board won't spend big bucks? We could have more individuals on higher money but then we'd have a smaller squad.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

ellis9 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:29 pm
BFG wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:10 pm
We spend up to the cap. How can you say the board won't spend big bucks? We could have more individuals on higher money but then we'd have a smaller squad.
If Leicester spend up to the cap then they haven't spent very well but I think most already know this.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

That is exactly my thoughts as well.
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

BFG wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:10 pm Apparently Murphy has a vision, no idea what that is and never will if they don't survive.
After careful analysis I believe his vision is to become the first team in history to win the league without ever touching the ball in an opposition 22.
Ilsontiger1725
Tiger Cub

The fish rots from the head

Post by Ilsontiger1725 »

Last night’s performance against Saints was what happens when arrogance, complacency and incompetence all collide. The position that Tigers finds itself in has been a long time coming but it reached its culmination in the performance against our old rivals. As a Chinese proverb says 'The fish rots from the head' and so it is with sports clubs, businesses and other organisations - the buck starts and stops in the boardroom.
Arrogance – I wrote to Peter Tom, Executive Chairman for 20 years, shortly before the AGM and asked him not to go ahead with re-election at that meeting due to the decline of the club. I received the following response – “You are correct but at the recent AGM my re-election was confirmed with over 99% of the shareholders voting in favour of it and I intend to continue as Chairman to ensure that Tigers get back to where they should be.” How’s that for breathtaking arrogance? He doesn’t seem to be aware that it’s his decisions over the last 10 or so years that have got us where we are now!
Incompetence – where do I start but how about the appointment of Matt O’Connor and his sacking after the first match of the season? And by his own admission, the catering and merchandising overseen by Simon Cohen is not up to standard.
Complacency – the Leicester way! Always assuming that because we’ve been successful over the decades, we will be in the future! And this results in the appointment of a coaching team stuffed with Tigers’ ex-players but shorn of any meaningful experience at other clubs, let alone international level. And where are we now? Premiership – 10th, European Cup – bottom, Premiership Cup – bottom, Development league – equal bottom!
What I don’t understand is how apparently intelligent and successful businessmen seem to lose their sense of judgement when it comes to running a sports club? Would Peter Tom accept this level of performance shown by the management team running one of his subsidiaries? No, of course, he wouldn’t but he doesn’t apply that same criteria to himself and his subordinates at Tigers.
Peter Tom – please go, either now or at the end of the season; it doesn’t matter which but just go.