Tigers v Saints

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Saints

Post by Scott1 »

Let's cherish Genge last year next year!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I will add at the time of Whites arrival Brussow and Harrison had virtually stopped competing at the BD and I don't even think Harrison was still on! White got very good ball,Harrison got nothing for the most part.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
speedski
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by speedski »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:42 am It's his job to outtackle all 8 forwards and compete at the BD? Really?! And you don't believe that the game was over late on either? Come on! It's like a NZ game where they blow teams away and then take their foot off the gas and teams score a couple of late tries while trying to claim a moral victory
Its his job to play rugby - there is no rule that any one player shouldn't tackle another. The team, collectively caused the players of that team to need to tackle 15 players. The fact he was blowing is a factor in the ability to stop the gaps in the 9/10/12 channels which Collins and others breezed through, in some cases unchallenged.

Saints had higher tempo, quicker pace and that leads to a disjointed defence which is breech-able.

Watch the game again and see how many times Tigers attacked a Saints back line which wasn't all lined up ready for us. The answer is less than 5.
Last edited by speedski on Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Sam Harrison was probably the right one to start given the importance / pressure of the game. He has only played about 10 minutes rugby in a long time and the pace of the game was quick and it took a while to get a break in play for a breather. Yes, was not his best day at the office but White looked good against a tiring Saints team......both teams were working hard or being made to work hard.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
TigerintheCatStand
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TigerintheCatStand »

Personally I would try passing the ball to May in space as a new and previously untried tactic.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Will say one thing,I'm absolutely delighted to be proved wrong about Ford. Fantastic again last night,if only the other backs were on his wavelength!
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:06 am Will say one thing,I'm absolutely delighted to be proved wrong about Ford. Fantastic again last night,if only the other backs were on his wavelength!
Any ball we did have was slowed down by Saints and they had the time to set up their defensive line and it proved very tight.
Saints are not a bad side and someone on social media said that it should have been a foregone conclusion that the team put out should have won. Saints have improved and the Half backs and back three had good games, played with pace and put Tigers under pressure with ball in hand.
Deserved win for Saints.....time to regroup and make the best for the remainder of the season.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

We we've got two chances to save our season. I still believe one win will keep us up just so looking at losses v Chiefs,Newcastle and Quins we need to beat Brizzle or Bath. Let's just hope it doesn't go down to the last game of the season!
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Not having played anywhere near the top level, but I suspect that it’s very difficult to get out of a rut once you’re in it. Take last night, the side we had out was decent on paper and we started fine. Then you get an error, that player tries to rectify it but tries too hard and jumps out of the line to make a big hit and the system that the team has been working on has gone. Then there’s a stupid penalty ayellow card and you’re over 2 scores down...it’s a long way back. The players clearly don’t trust each other or the system. The confidence is so fragile that one mistake and the whole thing falls apart. I don’t doubt everyone is trying really hard, but it needs cool heads and clear thinking.

It wouldn’t have affected the score but I thought Barnes let Saints get away with murder at the breakdown for the first 20....by then the writing was on the wall.
Last edited by westwinds31 on Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

If folk think players such as White are good enough then they are in for more disappointment, a hooker went to Bristol who was quicker.
Leicester were way off the pace last night.
Staying in the fight in matches is going to be extremely difficult if they are conceding tries like the first one last night, two attackers versus three defenders made to look like they had lead boots on and that was all the encouragement that Saints needed to go on and play their game.
The replacement props made Cole look quick, gaps galore and that's before we even get onto anything else.
Carver510

Post by Carver510 »

We need big changes - I'm fed up of hearing the same excuses and the "everything will be alright" mentality from the higher-up's at the club. This has been going on for several years now and we are just getting worse. Despite the fact that Geordan is a legend of the club, we are in desperate need of a top coach/DOR, with a quality track record and who has not been around the Tigers set up before. We need fresh eyes. If you run a business which has stagnated/gone backwards etc for several years and is underperforming, you hire in somebody with experience and a good track record. It was not the right time to promote from within. I keep hearing "Rob Baxter/Mark McCall needed a few years to get their systems and culture embedded, that's the same with the Tigers", but I don't remember either of those teams producing insipid, lacklustre performances like we do, on such a regular basis. I would usually put myself in the "happy clapper" brigade, but no longer, as much as it pains me!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Fantastic post carver and spot on!
Carver510

Post by Carver510 »

I don't believe this is Geordan's fault and I really do feel for him, I can see how difficult it is and how much performances such as last night hurt. This (to me) feels like a complacent, arrogant attitude from the higher up's that "we'll be all right in the end, we'll pull out a few performances towards the end of the season to bump us up a little bit". If you aim high, you score high. If you aim low, you score low.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Can't argue again carver,seems to me that this board has some sense of entitlement and have just buried their heads in the sand as well as using Murphy as a fall guy!
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Tigerbeat wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:36 am
Scott1 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:34 am So apart from trying some youngsters what makes you think Murphy will succeed because that's not enough for me in afraid!
Give Murphy a chance to work with the players that he wants rather than the ones he has been left with.
In life, business and sport we have to make the best of the hand we are dealt.

Murphy hasn’t, and I don’t believe he has the skill or experience to.

We need someone who has.
Valhalla I am coming!