Breaks in 6 Nations

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Ashurstwoodtiger

Breaks in 6 Nations

Post by Ashurstwoodtiger »

6 Nations completion has 2 breaks in the competition making 5 games last 7 weeks. Explanation is quote
The Six Nations has two rest weekends built into its schedule in order to preserve the integrity of the competition.

The theory is that if the five gruelling fixtures were played back-to-back, coaches would be forced to rest some players and injuries would play a greater role in deciding the winner.

Should the Premiership follow suit to enable the impact on players coaches etc.

Ok this would extend the season by several weeks but if the Premiership Cup was abandoned this would limit the extended time.

Thoughts
nasher

Re: Breaks in 6 Nations

Post by nasher »

It also keeps some players away from their clubs.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Get rid of the PRC,13 team ringfenced league with a bye every week,cut the RCC to 16 teams too. Simples...
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Lets us get rid of the breaks, the squads must be large enough to cover injuries.
However the "Tackle of the Tournament!" must go to Jonny May v Italian Doctor, see clip ~
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby ... enham.html
Gengie also had a great cover tackle on Luca Bigi, however before the critics suggest Jonny goes to Specsavers it surely with his pace is Vision Express! :smt002
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

I am generally in favour of breaks for player welfare but SCW made what I thought was an excellent point in suggesting the 2019 6N competition should have been played without breaks to help acclimatise the players to the match intensity of the coming RWC.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

They should revert back to the five nations and get it over with in four consecutive weeks in my opinion.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

I also feel that the break in the 6N is unnecessary. Clubs don't do this, so what's good for the goose is good for the gander.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

BFG wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:15 pm They should revert back to the five nations and get it over with in four consecutive weeks in my opinion.
Shouldn't that be within BFG? I'm old what's your excuse? :smt052
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

BFG wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:15 pm They should revert back to the five nations and get it over with in four consecutive weeks in my opinion.
I made the point to SC the other day that my needs were simple. I just wanted to see great players at Welford Road as often as possible - playing live not on the telly - and I wanted player welfare being given the highest priority.

His response was completely accurate of course:

"That’s seems very reasonable. It’s what Leicester Tigers would want as well. Probably needs 10 team league, 5 Nations and two AI’s. Problem is that wouldn’t generate enough revenue to get anywhere near current wage bills."

There's more thinking to do and more compromises to be made.....
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

strawclearer wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:36 pm
I made the point to SC the other day that my needs were simple. I just wanted to see great players at Welford Road as often as possible - playing live not on the telly - and I wanted player welfare being given the highest priority.

His response was completely accurate of course:

"That’s seems very reasonable. It’s what Leicester Tigers would want as well. Probably needs 10 team league, 5 Nations and two AI’s. Problem is that wouldn’t generate enough revenue to get anywhere near current wage bills."

There's more thinking to do and more compromises to be made.....
I reckon it should be the five nations in four weeks, play the Premiership Cup whilst it's going on and bring back some Saxons fixtures at Twickenham to reduce player load and cover the loss of revenue from one less six nations match against sides like Italy and Georgia.
I'd add that Italy are way out of their depth amongst the six nations, I don't think that it does anyone any good!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

LE18 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:28 pm
I knew you'd get me eventually and it didn't take you long, bravo, all is not lost in LE18 despite what they say! :smt038
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

BFG wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:17 pm
LE18 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:28 pm
I knew you'd get me eventually and it didn't take you long, bravo, all is not lost in LE18 despite what they say! :smt038
Lets call it quits! :smt045
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

:smt023
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"