Saints to get relegated?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ellis9
Super User
Super User

Saints to get relegated?

Post by ellis9 »

Something I saw on social media which was a fair point. With Northampton's final 6 games, could they be in trouble of going down if Newcastle pick up a few more wins?

Their final games are:
Tigers- away
Gloucester- home
Harlequins- away
Newcastle- away
Worcester- home
Exeter- away

Unlikely but with the remaining fixtures, it's not unrealistic.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Saints to get relegated?

Post by Scuttle »

ellis9 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:20 am Something I saw on social media which was a fair point. With Northampton's final 6 games, could they be in trouble of going down if Newcastle pick up a few more wins?

Their final games are:
Tigers- away
Gloucester- home
Harlequins- away
Newcastle- away
Worcester- home
Exeter- away

Hmmm. Anything is possible. Whilst I share your previously stated view that we will not be relegated, we share 4 of those same 6 fixtures, with our other 2 being Bristol and Bath, both if which will be tough.
As Good As It Gets
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

I think we are more likely to go down than Saints .
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Anything could happen this season given the table, but I'd say there's more than a smidge of wishful thinking involved given current league positions and results.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

ellis9 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:20 am Something I saw on social media which was a fair point. With Northampton's final 6 games, could they be in trouble of going down if Newcastle pick up a few more wins?

Their final games are:
Tigers- away
Gloucester- home
Harlequins- away
Newcastle- away
Worcester- home
Exeter- away

I only see them winning Worcester at home, though they are capable of putting an upset against Newcastle and Gloucester.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Wait until the "fat lady sings".
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

MikeR wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:50 am I think we are more likely to go down than Saints .
+1 :smt010 Unfortunately
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Don’t forget what happened last season. 4th position in our own hands and what happened: Saints, having played woefully for 2to 3 previous games came to Welford Road and deservedly beat us! No problem according to many at the club, “We will put it right against Newcastle.” What happened, lose the game having been 10 points ahead late in the second half. The pressure of relegation will be far greater than the pressure of getting into the top 4.
Beat Saints, however, and confidence will be gained ahead of Exeter.
For us, much will depend on injuries clearing up and the England lads not picking any up.
As my dear wife keeps telling me, “There is nothing we can do except get behind the team.”
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

MikeR wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:50 am I think we are more likely to go down than Saints .
I agree
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
nasher

Post by nasher »

After our last display it could be us. I think most sides put down playing tigers as a win. In all my years of following tigers I have never been so depressed, we lurch from one defeat to another and come up with another excuse. Unless there are changes we will disappear
Tomvarndell
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Tomvarndell »

nasher wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:40 am After our last display it could be us. I think most sides put down playing tigers as a win. In all my years of following tigers I have never been so depressed, we lurch from one defeat to another and come up with another excuse. Unless there are changes we will disappear
Comments like this just make me wonder how people with such opinions actually survive in the real world. Our last display is totally irrelevant to what we do next and then saying unless there are changes we will disappear! The starting line up for our next game will be unrecognised from the team sheets we’ve been putting out lately. It will be something closer to the side that battered Gloucester in early January. We’ve also got four home games to play from six, having had to contend with three away games out of four with scratch sides.

We’ve been poor this season overall but a club who sacks their top man after one away defeat, against a side who have barely lost at home in three years, were never going to have a great season. We will win another three games this season minimum. Probably finish seventh and hopefully move on from it. In a weird way I’ve quite enjoyed watching us this season without any high expectations but one season of it will do thanks.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

I am hoping we get the in form England players back after the Calcutta with no injuries and then push on.
With reports Manu is staying, confidence in the team should return.
Interesting Premiership with possibilities all over the shop. :smt024 :smt024
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

Ian Cant wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:01 pm Don’t forget what happened last season. 4th position in our own hands and what happened: Saints, having played woefully for 2to 3 previous games came to Welford Road and deservedly beat us! No problem according to many at the club, “We will put it right against Newcastle.” What happened, lose the game having been 10 points ahead late in the second half. The pressure of relegation will be far greater than the pressure of getting into the top 4.
Beat Saints, however, and confidence will be gained ahead of Exeter.
For us, much will depend on injuries clearing up and the England lads not picking any up.
As my dear wife keeps telling me, “There is nothing we can do except get behind the team.”
I recall the result of the Newcastle game at Welford Road was decided by the incompetent Referee giving a try by a player on his knees in the 3rd minute of injury time. IIFC. So the results do depend on the Referee & TMO, given that France were given a clearly held up try yesterday by the ball carrier falling on top of his two players, TMO unsure no grounding - Oh clock in red let's give the try!! :smt013
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

I have to admit that I would not be heartbroken should Saints get relegated.
jaguar
Tiger Cub

Post by jaguar »

Tomvarndell wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:12 am
nasher wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:40 am After our last display it could be us. I think most sides put down playing tigers as a win. In all my years of following tigers I have never been so depressed, we lurch from one defeat to another and come up with another excuse. Unless there are changes we will disappear
Comments like this just make me wonder how people with such opinions actually survive in the real world. Our last display is totally irrelevant to what we do next and then saying unless there are changes we will disappear! The starting line up for our next game will be unrecognised from the team sheets we’ve been putting out lately. It will be something closer to the side that battered Gloucester in early January. We’ve also got four home games to play from six, having had to contend with three away games out of four with scratch sides.

We’ve been poor this season overall but a club who sacks their top man after one away defeat, against a side who have barely lost at home in three years, were never going to have a great season. We will win another three games this season minimum. Probably finish seventh and hopefully move on from it. In a weird way I’ve quite enjoyed watching us this season without any high expectations but one season of it will do thanks.
Well said