You know what... I think a one-off season in the Challenge Cup will do us good

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

You know what... I think a one-off season in the Challenge Cup will do us good

Post by JP14 »

Look at how beneficial the Challenge Cup has been to Harlequins and Northampton this season, we will be able to blood some more youngsters and in a World Cup year it decreases the pressure and workload on our 6 England internationals (plus possibly Spencer) and players we will lose to other nations: Denton (Scotland), Kalamafoni & Fe’ao (Tonga), Ma’afu (Fiji), Gigena & Cortes (Argentina).

So what if that means a trip to Russia or Romania, I’d give my arm to go to places like those (I’m sure Comrade Putin could arrange that 😂😂)
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Re: You know what... I think a one-off season in the Challenge Cup will do us good

Post by fentiger »

I agree, it would bring the club as a whole down to earth!
Some different destinations sounds good too! :smt023
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Re: You know what... I think a one-off season in the Challenge Cup will do us good

Post by Mark62 »

I have said this for a while now as well as those mentioned it hasn’t done Clerment any harm.

And personally for a season it would be good to be a competition we have a chance of winning
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

JP14 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:19 am Look at how beneficial the Challenge Cup has been to Harlequins and Northampton this season, we will be able to blood some more youngsters and in a World Cup year it decreases the pressure and workload on our 6 England internationals (plus possibly Spencer) and players we will lose to other nations: Denton (Scotland), Kalamafoni & Fe’ao (Tonga), Ma’afu (Fiji), Gigena & Cortes (Argentina).

So what if that means a trip to Russia or Romania, I’d give my arm to go to places like those (I’m sure Comrade Putin could arrange that 😂😂)
Beneficial to Saints because they've played youngsters presumably?

It's not helped their league campaign.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

I may be missing something but why would it be easier to rest players etc. Would we play fewer games or is it just because it is not the Champions Cup it is less pressure. I am assuming if we are in it we would try to win it?
As Good As It Gets
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Scuttle wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:34 am I may be missing something but why would it be easier to rest players etc. Would we play fewer games or is it just because it is not the Champions Cup it is less pressure. I am assuming if we are in it we would try to win it?
Winning the competition has a qualifying spot for Champions Cup Rugby.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

JP14 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:19 am Look at how beneficial the Challenge Cup has been to Harlequins and Northampton this season, we will be able to blood some more youngsters and in a World Cup year it decreases the pressure and workload on our 6 England internationals (plus possibly Spencer) and players we will lose to other nations: Denton (Scotland), Kalamafoni & Fe’ao (Tonga), Ma’afu (Fiji), Gigena & Cortes (Argentina).

Not sure we would want to endure the terrible weather situation that Saints players and fans faced when they were there and match never played. :smt009
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Yes, let’s aim low, good for the ego.

There’s a good reason to give up your season ticket, if you still need one.
Valhalla I am coming!
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

fleabane wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:50 am Yes, let’s aim low, good for the ego.

There’s a good reason to give up your season ticket, if you still need one.
Who looks for a reason to give up their season ticket?!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

ellis9 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:14 am

It has they’re ahead of us and if you haven’t noticed they aren’t going through another :censored injury crisis in the centres.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

JP14 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:49 pm

It has they’re ahead of us and if you haven’t noticed they aren’t going through another :censored injury crisis in the centres.
Oh I didn't realise Saints based how successful their season is based on if they are higher than us.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

ellis9 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:53 pm

Oh I didn't realise Saints based how successful their season is based on if they are higher than us.
They don’t and I never insinuated that, they will judge their season as to whether they qualify for Europe or not.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

JP14 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:57 pm
They don’t and I never insinuated that, they will judge their season as to whether they qualify for Europe or not.
You did. You said "it has, they're ahead of us". What else could you mean?
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

ellis9 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:01 pm
JP14 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:57 pm

You did. You said "it has, they're ahead of us". What else could you mean?
I said playing in the Challenge Cup has helped their league position which incidentally means that they’re ahead of us, it doesn’t mean however they will base their success on whether they finished ahead of us.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

fentiger wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:45 am I agree, it would bring the club as a whole down to earth!
Some different destinations sounds good too! :smt023
It will nice to visit other euro places, assuming we can still get in?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat