Podcast with Simon Cohen

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Podcast with Simon Cohen

Post by sk 88 »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:01 pm Worth listening to or cliche ridden same old?
Funnily enough everything was, as always, someone else's fault. Worth listening too though.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Seriously sk haha,will listen tomorrow when taking dogs out.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

For me it seems players opinions are to the fore and clearly played some part in the revolving doors of coaches. Now they have Murphy in charge it will be interesting to see how long they stay on board with him.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Worth mentioning that "Bondi" reads this forum, other forums and all facebook fan sites and emails both playing staff, board members and other staff when he sees something they should be alerted to.

Earlier as well he said he is employed to correct any misinformation there in.

It's all good as far as I am concerned. One of things I disagree with a little bit with Cohen is that the club has always been very open and engaging with fans. I am not convinced that's the case.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Interesting comments about having to wait until contracts are finished to get rid of the players they don’t want, but Mcaffrey and Betham were mid-contract?

Also interesting comments in terms of kit supplier, apparently we’re under contract with Kukri until 2021 but we’re not happy with them, I was always under the impression that they were only a short-term supplier till we got a new Big League supplier.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

JP14 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:21 am Interesting comments about having to wait until contracts are finished to get rid of the players they don’t want, but Mcaffrey and Betham were mid-contract
I suspect that they were told that they would not feature in the seasons plans and given permission to speak to other clubs, if they wanted regular game time.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

ourla wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:07 am Worth mentioning that "Bondi" reads this forum, other forums and all facebook fan sites and emails both playing staff, board members and other staff when he sees something they should be alerted to.

Earlier as well he said he is employed to correct any misinformation there in.

It's all good as far as I am concerned. One of things I disagree with a little bit with Cohen is that the club has always been very open and engaging with fans. I am not convinced that's the case.
Hey Bondi. Anyone named Ioane will do for us. :smt003
I'm not cynical just experienced
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

ourla wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:07 am I disagree with a little bit with Cohen is that the club has always been very open and engaging with fans. I am not convinced that's the case.
Agreed, fact is that we are only told what the club wants to tell us when it suits their agenda.
The employment of Bondi Beach is a shrewd move and I must say he does an excellent job as the Tigers online bouncer :smt002
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

JP14 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:21 am Interesting comments about having to wait until contracts are finished to get rid of the players they don’t want, but Mcaffrey and Betham were mid-contract?

Also interesting comments in terms of kit supplier, apparently we’re under contract with Kukri until 2021 but we’re not happy with them, I was always under the impression that they were only a short-term supplier till we got a new Big League supplier.
Both players who won't have a hard time finding a club to pick them up.
Cilliers as a TH was never going to struggle find another club.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:22 am
JP14 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:21 am Interesting comments about having to wait until contracts are finished to get rid of the players they don’t want, but Mcaffrey and Betham were mid-contract?

Both players who won't have a hard time finding a club to pick them up.
Cilliers as a TH was never going to struggle find another club.
True.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

I listened to the podcast with Simon Cohen, Tigers CEO – Definition: ‘The top executive for a firm’s overall operations and performance. The leader of the firm, serving as the main link between the boards’ directors and the firm’s various parts or levels, and is held solely responsible for the firm’s success or failure (Business Directory).

The public abuse he describes of he and his wife is completely unacceptable, and out of kilter with the norms of the club.

It is nonetheless still legitimate to question Mr Cohen's effectiveness in his role as CEO. Otherwise what is a forum for?

Since this CEO was appointed Tigers have finished 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 4th, 6th. Or: Runners-Up, Winners, Semi-Final, Semi-Final, Semi-Final, Semi-Final, 6th. Or Points per season 74, 74, 74, 68, 65, 66, 63. It is a fine record, but it is a downward trend, and it is our CEO who says Tigers are all about ‘silverware’.

Yet our CEO takes no responsibility for the trend. “I can still remember Jimmy Gopperth playing the ball on the floor illegally and thinking what might have been.” He recalls. He doesn’t mention the semi-final mauling by Bath and then Saracens in the preceding two years, and reflect on what that all meant, because they were the truer harbingers of what lay ahead under his leadership. The trend continues at pace with Tigers now having a toe in the icy water of relegation.

Silverware isn’t everything for me. It is the collapse of team spirit and fight, the chaos and paucity of coaching translated into uncompetitive and at times embarrassing team performances which jars.

Leicester Tigers were always hard, pugnacious and uncompromising.The opposition might win, but they would pay a price to do so. I dislike just about everything I see in the team right now. They give up, they don't fight for each other, many are disinterested. They have no collective heart. Newcastle may go down. But they will go down fighting.

I don't care about the lack of silverware, I care that our CEO - has presided over the collapse of culture and ethos, yet abstracts himself from personal responsibility. The podcast - Coaching set ups? “It’s really difficult.” Salary Cap. “It’s difficult.” Catering? “It’s difficult.” Team Strip? “It’s difficult.” If its so difficult............... I hasten to add that the car park and hotel seem entirely sensible initiatives, requiring vision and hard work to bring to fruition.

I think he is right that it will take three or four years for Tigers to re-set and become competitive again. But is that now the measure of success for a CEO of Leicester Tigers.

No doubt this post won't make the light of day for some reason. The CEO can have a podcast to justify his position, but a fan cannot challenge, albeit politely.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Whatever one's opinion of Simon Cohen is, he and his wife should not suffer verbal abuse. Never ever!
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Dangerous4 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:06 pm Whatever one's opinion of Simon Cohen is, he and his wife should not suffer verbal abuse. Never ever!
100% agree and as for those "people" who spat at them, you are the lowest of the low! Spitting is vile! I'd prefer someone punched me than spat at me. Dirty, vile vermin.