Scarlets and Ospreys

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Re: Scarlets and Ospreys

Post by Old Hob »

Correction to my previous post - the new ground is to be at Colwyn Bay not Rhyl and is absolutely, definitely a done deal (or indupitably, certainly not)
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Caerlyr Osprey
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Caerlyr Osprey »

You want to try being a Tigers season ticket holder and an exiled Ospreys fan. As they say on the Blood and Mud rugby podcast 'by large it's going terribly'.

And my Ospreys season ticket holding parents have said there's no way they're supporting this new region.
Swansea Cricket & Football Club - The First British Club Side To Beat The All Blacks, Springboks & Wallabies.
The Ospreys The First Welsh Region To Beat A Touring Side
Leicester Football Club The First Back To Back Winners of The European Cup
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Scarlets announce that the merger is "off the table".

https://www.scarlets.wales/en/team-news ... verywhere/
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Old Hob wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:51 am Correction to my previous post - the new ground is to be at Colwyn Bay not Rhyl and is absolutely, definitely a done deal (or indupitably, certainly not)
Where are they going to get the players from up there? Sale?
newport tiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by newport tiger »

johnthegriff wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:26 pm Many Swansea supporters never made the switch from St Helens to the Liberty and even fewer from Neath. However Ospreys have been the most successful Welsh team and it must take a special brand of Old Fart to sacrifice them for the gamble of creating a viable rugby team in North Wales. From my point a view it will be a new place to visit and I look forward to that. English supporters take note, given half a chance the RFU will break us up into six regions, a merger of TIgers Wasps and Saints for the Midlands, Saracens, Quins & Irish for London, Sale, Newcastle & Carnegie for the North, Worcester, Gloucester & Bristol as South Midlands, Bath, Exeter and Pirates for South West plus a South East franchise based around Brighton. There would be a secondary league of feeder clubs with no promotion to the regional level, I bet they have already talked about it and it could happen.
All well and good but you haven't factored in our nomadic neighbours, how long before the London/Wycombe/Coventry Wasps move somewhere else. Its interesting you mention Brighton because for me that is the one area of the country that doesn't have top class rugby and yet with Southampton and Portsmouth on the doorstep it is a huge catchment area. If Wasps had moved there i think both our future as well as their's would have been more secure.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

newport tiger wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:38 pm
johnthegriff wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:26 pm Many Swansea supporters never made the switch from St Helens to the Liberty and even fewer from Neath. However Ospreys have been the most successful Welsh team and it must take a special brand of Old Fart to sacrifice them for the gamble of creating a viable rugby team in North Wales. From my point a view it will be a new place to visit and I look forward to that. English supporters take note, given half a chance the RFU will break us up into six regions, a merger of TIgers Wasps and Saints for the Midlands, Saracens, Quins & Irish for London, Sale, Newcastle & Carnegie for the North, Worcester, Gloucester & Bristol as South Midlands, Bath, Exeter and Pirates for South West plus a South East franchise based around Brighton. There would be a secondary league of feeder clubs with no promotion to the regional level, I bet they have already talked about it and it could happen.

Wasps are an extremely nomadic side. Ever since they left Sudbury they have never settled, flitting about here and there. I thought their latest move from Wycombe to Coventry was a rather ambitious, if not desperate. Things have not panned out as they had hoped, and a great deal seems to be going wrong at the club.

Just who are their supporters? There is little, if no hard core support for them nowadays, as they have long ago lost their "real" fans. They obviously do not care about them, as they only see £s as all that counts, and loyalty meaning nothing, which is truly sad.

Just where will London Wasps go next? Watch this space, and prepare to be amazed. :smt017
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

LE18 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:48 pm
Old Hob wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:51 am Correction to my previous post - the new ground is to be at Colwyn Bay not Rhyl and is absolutely, definitely a done deal (or indupitably, certainly not)
Where are they going to get the players from up there? Sale?
With the collapse of four regions into three, there will be players left over. Now, whether the new fourth region just gets the last picks ie the players the other three regions didn't want or whether they have more money... who knows. Maybe the whole project is as robust and as long lived as a meringue in a car crusher.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina