Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ellis9
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Wasps

Post by ellis9 »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:06 pm
Scott1 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:52 pm It was a yes or no question wasnt it? That's why he couldn't give it,the other question of"any reason why I can't award the try?" would've resulted in it being awarded.
Not necessarily as the answer to the question would have been "yes because I can't see the grounding".
Not quite. If the ref asks "Any reason I cannot award a try?" the TMO has to see something in the video to say why it shouldn't be a try. If there's no angles to show why a try cannot be given, the decision would be to award the try as the ref thinks one has been scored.

If JPD had asked that question, Wasps would have been given the try as the TMO cannot see anything to be able to say a try wasn't scored.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Very rarely that happens though votc if ever. Once that question is asked it's almost always awarded,that's why I hate that question.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

In fact,come to think of it I'm struggling to think of one example when a try hasn't been given.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

If there's not many, if any times that a try isn't awarded once the "Any reason" question is asked, that suggests that the referee was right.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

The journo in TRP seems to have a very biased take on what happened in the match; he seems to think every decision that went against Wasps was wrong and every decision that went for us was wrong. Or is it just me being defensive?
As Good As It Gets
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Scuttle wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:42 pm The journo in TRP seems to have a very biased take on what happened in the match; he seems to think every decision that went against Wasps was wrong and every decision that went for us was wrong. Or is it just me being defensive?
The decision not to award the try was correct. No grounding was seen so a try cannot be awarded. It really shouldn't be difficult for anyone to understand, especially for people that are paid to write about the sport!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

It wasn't a try, look in the score book as they say in cricket, arguement over. Citing Officer isn't going to come along and change it. Thanks JPD. :smt038
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

You really do need to take anything that Jurnos write with a very big pinch of salt, this morning in the DT there is a picture of Joe Ford tackling Joe Launchbury, No 4, who has a large sign on his back proclaiming his name to be "Rowlands", funny I can't remember Launchbury playing, but we had been out to lunch first. :smt030
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Did Umaga get on pitch?
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

LE18 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:01 pm Did Umaga get on pitch?
Didn’t see him
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Nope. A shame for him as his career has stagnated a bit (even with some time for Auckland in NZ) whilst his academy contemporary Hardwick is enjoying a decent bit of elite level rugby for his age. Maybe the move down the M69 wasn’t best advised...
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:39 pm
Nope. A shame for him as his career has stagnated a bit (even with some time for Auckland in NZ) whilst his academy contemporary Hardwick is enjoying a decent bit of elite level rugby for his age. Maybe the move down the M69 wasn’t best advised...
The few times I saw him in A team etc, I was not impressed, he seemed to be very frail and I wonder if that is why he didn't get on, it was a robust game. I didn't see him in warm up, has he bulked up at all? So we don't know how good he is?
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

On the other hand, if a jumping unit and a thrower-in had communicated properly instead of panicking any question would have been irrelevant.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

LE18 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:57 pm
Hot_Charlie wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:39 pm
The few times I saw him in A team etc, I was not impressed, he seemed to be very frail and I wonder if that is why he didn't get on, it was a robust game. I didn't see him in warm up, has he bulked up at all? So we don't know how good he is?
He seemed to get on quite well in NZ in the NPC, playing at 15 it seems too as a utility back. Now he’s at Leeds Carnegie on loan (well, until this weekend). Still only 20 though so he’s got time on his side.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Old Hob wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:12 pm On the other hand, if a jumping unit and a thrower-in had communicated properly instead of panicking any question would have been irrelevant.
Panicking?

(And as a matter of detail, we don’t know the nuts and bolts of why the line out failed. Noisiest WR in several years probably didn’t help)