Tigers v Wasps

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Wasps

Post by sam16111986 »

JP14 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:20 pm Holmes can’t box-kick though, Ford had to box-kick today, very well may I add.
After White went off the first time the box kicking was poor. Too often down the middle of the field and to long to contest.

Holmes passed nicely from the base with a bit if tempo. Joe Ford really took the bull by the horns and played with more attacking intent than I'm seen from him so far. He backed himself instead of running pre planned moves that weren't on and it worked. Only critique was the lack of gain management in the second half, could have done with more touch finders to play the game in the Wasps half.

Defensive display was much improved and with a scratch backline. Holmes and SAR seemed to be making tackles at every hint of an overlap. Evans did a decent job out of position and I did enjoy him running over the top of le Roux on his one run down the wing.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Have to say we had a superb lunch and really glad we made the match. Didn't expect our scratch team to win but have to say how well the team stuck to the job, players playing out of position did a great job, especially Holmes and great to see Joe Ford, very much maligned in the past, he really stepped up today. I thought we played a lot off Eastmond, he had a very good game, congratulations to everyone of our players for pulling off a very much needed win, Thanks JPD, very pleased that no one could see the ball or the line!
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Ian Cant wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:06 pm Strange decision at the end to take Cole and Kitchener off leaving no line out leaders so wouldn’t blame Kerr for the overthrow.
I think Cole made the decision for the coaches with the needless tackle off the ball to give Wasps a penalty in the corner.

As for Holmes, he started at scrum-half for London Welsh on their Premiership debut in September 2012 - against Tigers. I assume he's not practiced box-kicking for years! :smt003
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

I agree Joe Ford stepped up well. He took responsibility and deserves great credit. Eastmond played well in attack and got some good tackles in when in the defensive line. However, if you look at him jogging along in the background during the Wasps second try you can appreciate he is not putting in the effort off the ball that we need. If Holmes gets cover in field he can try to drift out further. Compare Eastmonds effort to that of Matt Tait.
Whoever called the long throw at the final Tigers line out needs a :censored:. I would do that if out Colts team were that stupid. A win but pkenty of “coaching points”.
Shep

Post by Shep »

:smt041
longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:12 pm
voice of the crumbie wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:57 pm I don't care about the mistakes - they can be worked on. I know we got the rub of the green on some key decisions but I came home feeling I had actually watched Leicester Tigers rather than a group of individuals wearing the club colours. Lots to work on but that 2nd half defensive effort fashioned out of adversity showed a team working for each other. Hopefully that will inspire a team that has been, in my opinion, lacking in confidence to produce more of the same and move up the table.

Well done Tigers :smt038 :smt038 :smt038
I said to our group that this could be a defining point in our season. As I said at HT, Sam going off did us a favour as we played with ball in hand more often than not. I've been hugely critical of Joe Ford throughout but he stood up today and took responsibility. Our forwards also did a huge job in getting, generally at least, quick ball.

We all came away, like you, feeling that we'd seen Tigers again. Our Tigers, the true Tigers. Backs to the wall and we scrapped and came out fighting for their team mates and the fans that were there made a huge difference and we fed off them as they fed off us. Not perfect, but a huge improvement!
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Oh boy - lost my voice so can't say much! Crumbie was rocking - proper commitment and heads up leadership from Joe Ford (yes, really!). Thought the Mat Tait farewell was ... meh, but, over all, great day! Oh and - love to know why that last lineout didn't go to the front - nearly finished me off!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Just back from the game and ready to hold my hands up, I was proven decidedly wrong today. Its been a while since I've seen this team grind out a win with sheer willpower and I've got to hand it to the lads, even if they did shred my nerves a few times.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Offside wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:32 pmEastmond played well in attack and got some good tackles in when in the defensive line. However, if you look at him jogging along in the background during the Wasps second try you can appreciate he is not putting in the effort off the ball that we need.
I disagree, and I think based on one example that's an unfair judgement to make. The second try was "set-up" by a very subtle block by Nizaam Carr on Eastmond which allowed Watson through the hole and made it virtually impossible to tackle him. Yes he's jogging (if you single out him, you need to single out about 8 other players too), but to all intents and purposes Watson's already beaten the last man anyway.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Big Dai wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:25 pm
Robespierre wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:10 pm
Louis wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:05 pm

I am...surprisingly happy. I may open the calvados (I'm out of Remy)
Caught the last ten minutes on t'internet. Well played Tigers!
An ordinary bottle of Buzet for me!!
No such thing!!! (It's been along time since I tasted a Baron D'Ardeuil.)
Oui! “Red Baron” is one of the best! Next time you come down, Dai, we’ll enjoy a bottle or two!
Semper in excretia
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Offside wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:32 pm I agree Joe Ford stepped up well. He took responsibility and deserves great credit. Eastmond played well in attack and got some good tackles in when in the defensive line. However, if you look at him jogging along in the background during the Wasps second try you can appreciate he is not putting in the effort off the ball that we need. If Holmes gets cover in field he can try to drift out further. Compare Eastmonds effort to that of Matt Tait.
Whoever called the long throw at the final Tigers line out needs a :censored:. I would do that if out Colts team were that stupid. A win but pkenty of “coaching points”.
Yes I agree Eastmond drifts in and out of games, and doesn't fix defenders. Yes the call for a long throw at the end was dull.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

A sensible solution would have been to throw to Ma’afu at the front, create a ruck, maybe play one phase and then boot the ball into the stands, apart from that overthrow and one Kitchener error our lineout was top notch yesterday and our drive was very good too.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:12 pm
voice of the crumbie wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:57 pm I don't care about the mistakes - they can be worked on. I know we got the rub of the green on some key decisions but I came home feeling I had actually watched Leicester Tigers rather than a group of individuals wearing the club colours. Lots to work on but that 2nd half defensive effort fashioned out of adversity showed a team working for each other. Hopefully that will inspire a team that has been, in my opinion, lacking in confidence to produce more of the same and move up the table.

Well done Tigers :smt038 :smt038 :smt038
I said to our group that this could be a defining point in our season. As I said at HT, Sam going off did us a favour as we played with ball in hand more often than not. I've been hugely critical of Joe Ford throughout but he stood up today and took responsibility. Our forwards also did a huge job in getting, generally at least, quick ball.

We all came away, like you, feeling that we'd seen Tigers again. Our Tigers, the true Tigers. Backs to the wall and we scrapped and came out fighting for their team mates and the fans that were there made a huge difference and we fed off them as they fed off us. Not perfect, but a huge improvement!
+1 :smt054 :smt054
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Oh how we nearly lost that at the death.- But i'll take the W.
Many times this season we have had refs and TMO work against us - on this occasion we had the rub of the green.
I for one am not going to apologise for that. By my reckoning we are still owed a few.

Like many have said The team played like a Tiger for the first time in many a season.
Out of their playing position - playing for each other - Brave display.
And Warps could not adapt their game to punish us but chose to infringe at any given opportunity. (11 - 1 pen count)
They have the worries come run in . But no doubt will focus on the very last decision made by Sirs.
:smt052 :smt052 :smt052 :smt052

Take a bow team.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

First time for a while that I've been proud to be a Tigers fan.

Great performance in adversity. Ford, Holmes, Eastmond, all were very good, even Mike Williams put in a shift!

I just read the match reports on line in the DT and DM, both focused on the TMO decisions but neither mentioned that we had 3 concussions in the first half and played the last 45 mins with a winger at scrum half and flanker on the wing!! You honestly would not have a clue reading those reports.

But we know, great fighting spirit shown (I will have nightmares about that lineout) and let's hope we kick on from here.
Soggypitch
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Soggypitch wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:19 am I just read the match reports on line in the DT and DM, both focused on the TMO decisions but neither mentioned that we had 3 concussions in the first half and played the last 45 mins with a winger at scrum half and flanker on the wing!! You honestly would not have a clue reading those reports.

But we know, great fighting spirit shown (I will have nightmares about that lineout) and let's hope we kick on from here.
Yeah, why give Tigers some credit when it's easier to quote Dai Boi having a moan! :smt017