Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Re: Worcester vs Tigers

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Mark62 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:38 pm Maxwell Keyes in charge :smt013

Maybe the water boys could try bribing him with lollipops
Be prepared for a stop start well over 80 minutes game while he consults the TMO on every decision :smt013
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

BG01 wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:17 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:58 pm
JP14 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:58 pm As I’ve said before I don’t think Eastmond is a 13, starting Evans is a good shout.
We're struggling for a 13. Owen seems to have had one too many injuries and we need someone to do a job.
BG01 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:43 pm

There's a bit of a danger of throwing out the baby with the bathwater here. BOC I thought was one of our standout players and no way he should be dropped. Likewise Kitchener was a bit ineffective but our lineout was great and he did well there.
BOC was largely anonymous in a game where I hoped he'd have thrived. The opposition carried the ball into our forwards a lot for small gains. Should have been there for him to attack the breakdown and generally be a menace. Just didn't happen. Evans played well in the games before the break, BOC didn't impress to he moves to 6 or the bench for me. If he wants the shirt back he needs to pull up some trees. Ditto Evans he needs to know he needs to perform when back in the starting line up in order to stay there.
Anonymous is a slightly odd way to describe him when he made more tackles than anyone else in the team (and only Koch made more across the two teams), and had more carries, made more metres, and passed more times than any other forward except for Kalamafoni.
How many turnovers though? That's what we needed him for. Move him to 6 and he can continue grafting as I said, unless we need more weight and then to the bench. In a pack where we lack breakdown ability its vital the openside attacks the breakdown and that didn't happen vs Sarries.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:03 pm GM was interviewed on BT Sport shortly after the news broke, and stated that he would be training hereto put himself in the shop window, and might appear in some of the cup games.
We aren't doing him "a favour" though. As quoted in the article I linked to Murphy phoned him because we have a lot of injuries in the backline and he was available. He is the Prems record try scorer and is still young and fit enough to help out. I really don't see the problem.
Cardiff Tig wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:03 pmHe was pushed out of Bristol, he's 33, didn't set the Scarlets on fire for his brief stint there and failed in France.
That covers a season and a bit hardly equating to "Varndell hasn't shown anything for years." He is the Prems all time record try scorer. He didn't fail in France, France failed him. And he's not the first.
Cardiff Tig wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:03 pmThere is no advantage to playing a temporary, past it IMO, winger over any of the younger ones.
Well, it's only your judgement that he's "past it" and I can't see any more ideal temporary replacements. Anyhow as I asked which young winger would you like to see play instead of him?
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

We need to be on the top of our game if we are to collect points from it. Worcester may be struggling, but they could shock us again.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

ourla wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:23 pm
Cardiff Tig wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:03 pm GM was interviewed on BT Sport shortly after the news broke, and stated that he would be training hereto put himself in the shop window, and might appear in some of the cup games.
We aren't doing him "a favour" though. As quoted in the article I linked to Murphy phoned him because we have a lot of injuries in the backline and he was available. He is the Prems record try scorer and is still young and fit enough to help out. I really don't see the problem.
Cardiff Tig wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:03 pmHe was pushed out of Bristol, he's 33, didn't set the Scarlets on fire for his brief stint there and failed in France.
That covers a season and a bit hardly equating to "Varndell hasn't shown anything for years." He is the Prems all time record try scorer. He didn't fail in France, France failed him. And he's not the first.
Cardiff Tig wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:03 pmThere is no advantage to playing a temporary, past it IMO, winger over any of the younger ones.
Well, it's only your judgement that he's "past it" and I can't see any more ideal temporary replacements. Anyhow as I asked which young winger would you like to see play instead of him?
I appreciate its only my opinion, but any player who gets pushed out of a championship side shouldn't be targeted by this club (again, my opinion only!).

Clealry GM has changed his tune, I'm only going by the BT Sport comments.

Why not play Aspland-Robinson from the start rather than have him sit on the bench? Or Sarto, the other temporary signing that still has 5 years left in him and could be a long term part of the team potentially (I admit I don't know if Sarto was fit for this game).
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Dan Cole released back to Tigers by Jones.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

strawclearer wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:33 pm Dan Cole released back to Tigers by Jones.
That's kind of him, wrong but kind.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:06 pm
strawclearer wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:33 pm Dan Cole released back to Tigers by Jones.
Dan is a very very good player for us, welcome back, but Jones has recognised his age and limitations, our scrum was going nowhere against Sarries, making a poor White look even worse, as he was trying to pick out from a retreating scrum and rucks. I really thought that Dan had a very poor game at Sarries.

No doubt others will disagree, but its time to start to acknowledge Dan is sadly fadeing from his former glories.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Sadly have to agree Cole is a top rate player but birthdays are telling. He can still produce good games but there are plenty snapping at his heels fo England shirt.
Its a younger persons game now and careers are getting shorter. I think GM has noted this and is why he is blooding the youngster. What you lack in experience is gained by enthusiasm. Control the enthusiasm and experience grows.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

To be fair to Cole, our scrum has been excellent for the majority of the season. The second rows are as responsible for dominating an opposing scrum as the props are.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

LE18 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:55 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:06 pm
Dan is a very very good player for us, welcome back, but Jones has recognised his age and limitations, our scrum was going nowhere against Sarries, making a poor White look even worse, as he was trying to pick out from a retreating scrum and rucks. I really thought that Dan had a very poor game at Sarries.

No doubt others will disagree, but its time to start to acknowledge Dan is sadly fadeing from his former glories.

So he had no influence on several penalties conceded by Richard Barrington against whom he was scrummaging?
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:07 pm

Be prepared for a stop start well over 80 minutes game while he consults the TMO on every decision :smt013
Maxwell-Keyes had a genuinely excellent game last Friday at Glous v. Chiefs, has improved a lot recently!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

DingDong wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:26 am
voice of the crumbie wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:07 pm

Maxwell-Keyes had a genuinely excellent game last Friday at Glous v. Chiefs, has improved a lot recently!
To be fair he did and he has obviously been working on his player communication.
Let’s hope it continues and wasn’t just a flash in the pan
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

JP14 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:45 pm We have got to scrap for everything in my opinion... we need Denton back NOW!

1 Bateman
2 Youngs
3 Heyes
4 Spencer
5 Wells (Kitchener looks like he doesn’t want play anymore)
6 Williams
7 O’Connor
8 Kalamafoni
9 Shazam
10 Toomua
11 Olowofela
12 Eastmond
13 Worth
14 Varndell
15 Aspland-Robinson
16 Kerr
17 Gigena
18 Fe’ao
19 Fitzgerald
20 Evans
21 Simmons
22 Hardwick
23 Sarto
In all seriousness is there any update on Dave Denton and Telusa Veainu?
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

JP14 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:45 pm We have got to scrap for everything in my opinion... we need Denton back NOW!

1 Bateman
2 Youngs
3 Heyes
4 Spencer
5 Wells (Kitchener looks like he doesn’t want play anymore)
6 Williams
7 O’Connor
8 Kalamafoni
9 Shazam
10 Toomua
11 Olowofela
12 Eastmond
13 Worth
14 Varndell
15 Aspland-Robinson
16 Kerr
17 Gigena
18 Fe’ao
19 Fitzgerald
20 Evans
21 Simmons
22 Hardwick
23 Sarto
I really can't see us winning this one either !!!! Please Tigers make me choke on my words
God created rugby so footballers have heros too