Worcester vs Tigers

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: Worcester vs Tigers

Post by sam16111986 »

Ian Cant wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:00 pm Now that Tom Hardwick has signed a contract to stay he surely has to start. He has shown in all the games he has had decent time on the pitch that he can make breaks, tackle and kick from hand.
No matter what team we play we have to do a lot less box kicking and please can all the players no say how well they are going to perform to the press: we have heard it all season to no avail.
Now is the time to man up because losing to Worcester will see us in a scrap with Newcastle to avoid the dreaded relegation.
Where are our fans sitting at Worcester. We need to make some serious noise.
I agree on Hardwick starting. Time for him to step up and show what he can do if he wants to be in the first team plans for the run in and its time we gave him game time to do it.

The box kicks aren't the problem. The kick chase is the problem.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

isn't Spencer due back for this one?
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

sam16111986 wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:40 pm
I agree on Hardwick starting. Time for him to step up and show what he can do if he wants to be in the first team plans for the run in and its time we gave him game time to do it.

The box kicks aren't the problem. The kick chase is the problem.
The kick chase has been a problem for years.
jaguar
Tiger Cub

Post by jaguar »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:12 pm isn't Spencer due back for this one?
Should be he was warming up last weekend
BG01

Post by BG01 »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:58 pm
JP14 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:58 pm As I’ve said before I don’t think Eastmond is a 13, starting Evans is a good shout.
We're struggling for a 13. Owen seems to have had one too many injuries and we need someone to do a job.
BG01 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:43 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:51 pm I'd start Evans. Whether it's in place of Williams or BOC. Neither did anything of note Vs Sarries. BOC failing to reduce the gap to Cole in the kick chase gave Sarries their first try. Evans has been very good this season.

I'd be tempted to experiment with the midfield and go Toomua/Hardwick/Eastmond. The Toomua and Eastmond combination just didn't work and Owen was pretty much useless at 13. Hardwick would also give us a different kicking option off the tee and he's big enough to straighten the line if Toomua is under pressure. Eastmond is quick and can link with the wingers if we get on the outside. Sarto onto the wing as well, he's a powerful runner and will help with our options in attack.
There's a bit of a danger of throwing out the baby with the bathwater here. BOC I thought was one of our standout players and no way he should be dropped. Likewise Kitchener was a bit ineffective but our lineout was great and he did well there.
BOC was largely anonymous in a game where I hoped he'd have thrived. The opposition carried the ball into our forwards a lot for small gains. Should have been there for him to attack the breakdown and generally be a menace. Just didn't happen. Evans played well in the games before the break, BOC didn't impress to he moves to 6 or the bench for me. If he wants the shirt back he needs to pull up some trees. Ditto Evans he needs to know he needs to perform when back in the starting line up in order to stay there.
Anonymous is a slightly odd way to describe him when he made more tackles than anyone else in the team (and only Koch made more across the two teams), and had more carries, made more metres, and passed more times than any other forward except for Kalamafoni.
Never believe generalisations
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

I would expect us to go with a different game plan to that we had at Sarries but I wouldn't expect too many changes. Would expect more opportunities for Eastmond and Varndell to shine.

I agree Wells should come in for Kitch. Hopefully Spencer will play too.

Quietly confident this week.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

I would certainly start with Hardwick.
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

Worth; Sarto, Olowofela, Eastmond, Varndell; Toomua, Harrison; Bateman, Youngs, Cole, Wells, Spencer, Williams, O'Connor, Kalamafoni.

Kerr?, Gigena, Heyes, Fitzgerald, Evans, White, Hardwick, Aspland-Robinson
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:47 pm Finn Russell injured for this weeks six nations game.
Could mean Weir gets called up.
Has been called up but it still will be a hard game to win
"Russell's head injury that he suffered played for Racing on Sunday looks set to pave the way for Glasgow pivot Adam Hastings to get his chance, while Duncan Weir has also been called up to the squad"
Hehehehehehehehe
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

We could do with Weir being with Scotland or at least on the bench for Wuss.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

ourla wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:19 pm I would expect us to go with a different game plan to that we had at Sarries but I wouldn't expect too many changes. Would expect more opportunities for Eastmond and Varndell to shine.

I agree Wells should come in for Kitch. Hopefully Spencer will play too.

Quietly confident this week.
Varndell hasn't shown anything for years. Still don't understand picking him over a promising academy player. GM stated that when we signed him it was as a favour to him to get him training again.
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

The signing of Varndell is what is wrong with our club, he was signed not because of his talent but because he is a Tigers old boy, we are so incestuous in hiring ex Tigers who plainly are not good enough. This saying of the Tigers way is ridiculous, it's a long time ago and now not relevant these days.
Other teams have moved on but Tigers are caught in a time warp living in the old days.
Time to get rid of the players who dictate tactics and selection to Murphy and let him build a squad in his own way.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:26 am Varndell hasn't shown anything for years.
Well he's not had much chance since he left Bristol. He's still good enough to fill the role he's filling.
Cardiff Tig wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:26 amStill don't understand picking him over a promising academy player.
Such as.
Cardiff Tig wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:26 amGM stated that when we signed him it was as a favour to him to get him training again.
Really? That's not whe he said here
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

GM was interviewed on BT Sport shortly after the news broke, and stated that he would be training hereto put himself in the shop window, and might appear in some of the cup games.

He was pushed out of Bristol, he's 33, didn't set the Scarlets on fire for his brief stint there and failed in France. There is no advantage to playing a temporary, past it IMO, winger over any of the younger ones.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Maxwell Keyes in charge :smt013

Maybe the water boys could try bribing him with lollipops