Proof if proof were needed

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ourla
Super User
Super User

Re: Proof if proof were needed

Post by ourla »

Crumblies wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:18 pm Wonder how often Billy Vunipola, Maro Itoje, Owen Farell, Jamie George, Mako Vunipola etc have attracted similar interest and if not why not?
Err because they are playing in one of the 2 or 3 best teams in Europe. They can't play out of England. They are being very well looked after (other than financially).
Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Coops »

This is a good read too if you have time:

https://d2cx26qpfwuhvu.cloudfront.net/p ... 018-19.pdf

Page 38 - what constitutes a salary in particular

Paragraph 2 on page 41 sets out what is NOT considered as salary - there's your starting point for creative accounting purposes.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

It's interesting to read about Sarries getting slated as THE club re: Salary Cap. I had an ear on the owners / chairs meeting in May 2015 and it was Bath and their charming owner who 'pushed the envelope' most ambitiously on the salary cap. I have no time for Sarries as a club, but to be fair, at least they have developed some fantastic England players. Bath on the other hand have tried to buy the premiership but failed miserably.

That said, in the amateur days Tigers were hardly whiter than white, and used the financial advantages they had, from significantly larger crowds, to offer generous travel expenses. So what goes around.

Salary cap abuses are an excuse and a distraction. The recruitment of players has been beyond abysmal (whatever happened to Jerome Schuster). I have no particular animosity towards Joe Ford, but.............. really? How much money was Cilliers on? We now have a dysfunctional, poorly balanced squad of disinterested journeymen. That has nothing to do with Saracens allegedly abusing the salary cap.

I have been posting the same thing for the last couple of years. There can be no meaningful change until there are changes on the Board level, the CEO and the Head of Rugby Operations. You would think they would have the good grace to walk away. The Published Accounts Statement for 2018 (helpfully dowloaded on another trail) are revealing. Toms writes on an on about the 'challenging business environment'. Is it more challenging for Leicester Tigers than Sale, or Wasps or Northampton or Harlequins or Newcastle or...........If it is so unbelievably challenging, recognise that you might be the problem, step down and let someone with a clearer view do what needs to be done.