Hé hasn’t exactly got the best squad . . . . .

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Hé hasn’t exactly got the best squad . . . . .

Post by Scott1 »

If I was a forward I'd be livid! We have got to be the worse kickers in the GP from what I've seen. (I don't watch every game but have seen every team more than once)
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:14 pm If I was a forward I'd be livid! We have got to be the worse kickers in the GP from what I've seen. (I don't watch every game but have seen every team more than once)
One thing I have noticed is that we take the ball up quite often and end up 1 metre out of the 22, then cant kick for touch, why not stop the drive before we exit 22?
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

White is SO FLIPPING SLOW I nearly smashed the TV screen.
He has YBY bloodline.. sell him.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

DeadlyDunc wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:19 am
G.K wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:31 am So the secret of future success is more and more SH players until Tigers are like a NH Super 15 franchise? :smt009
So what would you do G.K. - lots of criticism of what is happening and so it would be good to hear your ideas

Apologies if you’ve expressed them on other threads
Dunc - unfortunately it's too late now but I certainly would not have bought back MoC and I would not have recruited so many average players, especially from the SH.

Going forwards I would:

1) Replace Murphs asap so a new coach has a full pre-season (no I don't know who might be available but I'd be in discussions with whoever was).
2) Clear out the average players at the end of the season, we can all have a view on who they are but there are quite a few of them I'd say.
3) Recruit some decent locks and another hooker and another full back, fly half and centre since if GF away and TV and/or Manu injured we don't have too much in the way of quality backup with aussie Matt T also having left (in spirit if not in body).
4) Stop playing negative Rugby by kicking the ball away and defending for much of the match and speed up ruck ball
5) Replace most of the BoD and the caterinmg contract.

Well you did ask....
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

G.K wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:12 pm
DeadlyDunc wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:19 am
G.K wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:31 am So the secret of future success is more and more SH players until Tigers are like a NH Super 15 franchise? :smt009
So what would you do G.K. - lots of criticism of what is happening and so it would be good to hear your ideas

Apologies if you’ve expressed them on other threads
Dunc - unfortunately it's too late now but I certainly would not have bought back MoC and I would not have recruited so many average players, especially from the SH.

Going forwards I would:

1) Replace Murphs asap so a new coach has a full pre-season (no I don't know who might be available but I'd be in discussions with whoever was).
2) Clear out the average players at the end of the season, we can all have a view on who they are but there are quite a few of them I'd say.
3) Recruit some decent locks and another hooker and another full back, fly half and centre since if GF away and TV and/or Manu injured we don't have too much in the way of quality backup with aussie Matt T also having left (in spirit if not in body).
4) Stop playing negative Rugby by kicking the ball away and defending for much of the match and speed up ruck ball
5) Replace most of the BoD and the caterinmg contract.

Well you did ask....
You will struggle to find sane Tigers supporters who would agree with your 1st point. As for kicking the ball away, it’s not negative rugby necessarily, Tigers aren’t just being intelligent enough.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:14 pm If I was a forward I'd be livid! We have got to be the worse kickers in the GP from what I've seen. (I don't watch every game but have seen every team more than once)
The majority of the kicks were no worse than what Sarries offered up. There were two major differences, firstly our kick chase was rubbish and secondly they benefitted massively from Jonah Holmes positional play.

Sarries scored off the back of a decent kick that Varndell didn't bother chasing properly so Sarries took the ball under no pressure. Of the three forwards chasing up only Dan Cole was in the correct position, Bateman was jogging and not in the line and BOC in a world of his own and didn't notice the large gap to Cole on his left that Gallagher ran through. I imagine Murphy brought in Varndell for his pace and ability to chase kicks. The tactic being your pace merchant applies pressure whilst your forwards come up in a line behind. Simple and should be effective if the players could put it into practice.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

If I was a SH I'd be livid. Our pack fails to give the SH quick ball 95% of the time. They even struggle with simple things like ball placement upon contact.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

sam16111986 wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:29 am
The majority of the kicks were no worse than what Sarries offered up. There were two major differences, firstly our kick chase was rubbish and secondly they benefitted massively from Jonah Holmes positional play.

Sarries scored off the back of a decent kick that Varndell didn't bother chasing properly so Sarries took the ball under no pressure. Of the three forwards chasing up only Dan Cole was in the correct position, Bateman was jogging and not in the line and BOC in a world of his own and didn't notice the large gap to Cole on his left that Gallagher ran through. I imagine Murphy brought in Varndell for his pace and ability to chase kicks. The tactic being your pace merchant applies pressure whilst your forwards come up in a line behind. Simple and should be effective if the players could put it into practice.
Sam you hit the nail on the head "should be effective if the players could put it into practice." All the coaching in the world is to no avail if the players go off plan when they are on the pitch. Varndell and Sarto were injury dispensation signings to cover the likes of Veainu, Tait and Thompstone so I imagine it was a case of who was available at short notice.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

fortysix wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:25 pm White is SO FLIPPING SLOW I nearly smashed the TV screen.
I hope none of Harrison and Simmons or any of the two upcoming U18's are sacrificed for White.
He is not good enough!
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Has Eastmond contributed anything positive in any game? He seems contact shy.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

BFG wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:44 am
fortysix wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:25 pm White is SO FLIPPING SLOW I nearly smashed the TV screen.
I hope none of Harrison and Simmons or any of the two upcoming U18's are sacrificed for White.
He is not good enough!
He is too slow. That seemed to be part of the plan at the weekend though. Slow the tempo of the game down, frustrate Sarries. Worked very well in the first half with Sarries conceding twice the penalties we did.

What annoys me is White is perfectly capable of playing quicker and off the cuff. Against Racing away he was fantastic and was more like a young Ben Youngs. Maybe it's a confidence thing and he'll develop and settle in then we'll see more out of him. To be fair when he did try and inject tempo with the quick tap and go, no one went with him, his 14 team mates stood and watched. Probably why he didn't bother again after that.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Kick chase remains woeful - are we kicking too far or just not chasing? Probably the latter.

Long kicks need to be into space or off the park.

Holmes for an international was OK in attack but caught out of position too many times in defence.

There was a clear example when we lost possession in their 22 and I thought we are thin at the back, however rather than kick immediately Sarries took a couple of phases before kicking - yet Holmes still hadn't got himself back into position.

To be blunt none of our released internationals looked like they were on the ball, be that Cole, Holmes or Kerr when he came on.

Didn't expect a win but after the first half I though it was possible but the capitulation at then end was embarrassing.
Perhaps Geordie will need to use Cocker's hair dryer!
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

Old Hob wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:47 am Has Eastmond contributed anything positive in any game? He seems contact shy.
You were listening to Austin! He did ok for the try and tackled well
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

I could be wrong but I would imagine White was told to play how he did tactically.

We wanted a slow close contact game for the most part.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

It was good to hear Murphy call out Toomua and Holmes yesterday for errors. Obviously it has to be said in the right way but it's good to be frank about our performance. Good players will take it on the chin and try to do better.

Also, good to see Joe Ford benched. Could that be it for him. He's a good Championship player and hopefully can earn a living from the game. But he can't be the future for Leicester Tigers.

As I've said elsewhere, I don't think wholesale changes are needed.