Hé hasn’t exactly got the best squad . . . . .

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Re: Hé hasn’t exactly got the best squad . . . . .

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

MikeR wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:43 am I think the most depressing thing yesterday was the very limited game plan - very little ball of our own so what do we do when we get the ball ? - Ben White time after time takes an absolute age to kick it straight back to Sarries .
And didn't find the seats once, from the fleeting bits I saw
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

I have to say that White had a nightmare of a game. He had no idea what to do with the ball, except for kicking it into the hands of Saracens! :smt017
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

G.K wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:35 pm You really think it will be any better next season? Dream on. I'll call it now - it will be just more of the same and if the other clubs at the bottom find some form I can see the trip down the M1 the season after being to Bedford.

I am sure we will be better next season, so long as we bring in some quality players, that will gel together. We have made a good start with Taufua.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

MikeR wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:43 am I think the most depressing thing yesterday was the very limited game plan - very little ball of our own so what do we do when we get the ball ? - Ben White time after time takes an absolute age to kick it straight back to Sarries .
TBH on the limited view of Simmons thought he was livelier than White. White seemed to be a BY clone of the worse bits.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I can’t see a win at Worcester I’m afraid. That’s not me being doom-mongering it’s just how they ship the ball in contact is better than ours and while our defence is getting better, they will probably still find ways of getting round us on the outside.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Yorkietiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Yorkietiger »

We will not win at Wuss I am afraid, they will have a near full first team out at home, and we will have the same bunch (less Cole and Holmes) we had out yesterday. We will be lucky to come away with a LBP. As for the pests, a 5 pointer away at Bristol yesterday suggests they have turned a corner, we will need a good performance against them to win.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

JP14 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:44 pm I can’t see a win at Worcester I’m afraid. That’s not me being doom-mongering it’s just how they ship the ball in contact is better than ours and while our defence is getting better, they will probably still find ways of getting round us on the outside.
The game last year is a poor comparison. Yep, Holmes went off injured. Yep Toomua played 10. The real difference IMO and that of eldest son (good enough for Bristol squad first time round) was a brilliant game by Shazam. He was fast, gave Toomua time and sniped enough to pin Wuss' defence. White IMO is inferior on most counts, as BY often is on '2nd division' mode.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

jgriffin wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:58 pm
JP14 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:44 pm I can’t see a win at Worcester I’m afraid. That’s not me being doom-mongering it’s just how they ship the ball in contact is better than ours and while our defence is getting better, they will probably still find ways of getting round us on the outside.
The game last year is a poor comparison. Yep, Holmes went off injured. Yep Toomua played 10. The real difference IMO and that of eldest son (good enough for Bristol squad first time round) was a brilliant game by Shazam. He was fast, gave Toomua time and sniped enough to pin Wuss' defence. White IMO is inferior on most counts, as BY often is on '2nd division' mode.
To beat Worcester we actually need to play with intensity and a desire to win. Neither of which was shown against Saracens. Bringing Harrison in will help massively plus the returns of maybe Spencer and Denton.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

chewbacca wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:27 am
jgriffin wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:15 am Two reflections.
Yes there are questions about the BoD, and I am of one mind with Sapajo that BK, RU and GG carry most of the blame along with Cohen, Peter Tom and those 'influential senior players'. I don't expect much change there. Having said that it is IMO 2012 when the first failures to spend started to surface and the failure to add several excellent coaches let alone players.
Given our current situation, internationals and injuries, some of us are realistic enough to know 6th will be an achievement. Sack the lot posts are pointless. You either support or you don't, and although I have been very critical in the past (especially the shyster MOC), I can also see what Smurf is doing. I expect some good signings off the back of significant departures at the end of this season (and retirements from injury and concussion) and the WC (Manu). We will be back.
If one attributes the lions share of blame to those mentioned by Sapajo along with those you mention and you are not expecting any significant changes in the constitution of the board then why would you expect things to improve. We got to this position by either complacency, incompetence or deliberate engineering perhaps with a view to encouraging a change in the structure and/or ownership of the club. The reward for failure is clearly promotion and bonuses.
Apologies for my PLC business naivety, but I cant say I have ever seen a chairman's half, or full, years report in a daily news paper! Does this happen with Tigers, if so are there any "profit" warnings or playing ability statements?
How do you forcibly remove any directors, if we so wish and how did the above players walk onto the board, especially the players who seem to be making our playing decisions? Very sorry to show my lack of business knowledge but hope someone can tell be how, from a PLC, we get rid of some of those useless so and so? I suppose there are not enough outside shareholders?
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

LE18 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:38 pm
chewbacca wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:27 am
jgriffin wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:15 am Two reflections.
Yes there are questions about the BoD, and I am of one mind with Sapajo that BK, RU and GG carry most of the blame along with Cohen, Peter Tom and those 'influential senior players'. I don't expect much change there. Having said that it is IMO 2012 when the first failures to spend started to surface and the failure to add several excellent coaches let alone players.
Given our current situation, internationals and injuries, some of us are realistic enough to know 6th will be an achievement. Sack the lot posts are pointless. You either support or you don't, and although I have been very critical in the past (especially the shyster MOC), I can also see what Smurf is doing. I expect some good signings off the back of significant departures at the end of this season (and retirements from injury and concussion) and the WC (Manu). We will be back.
If one attributes the lions share of blame to those mentioned by Sapajo along with those you mention and you are not expecting any significant changes in the constitution of the board then why would you expect things to improve. We got to this position by either complacency, incompetence or deliberate engineering perhaps with a view to encouraging a change in the structure and/or ownership of the club. The reward for failure is clearly promotion and bonuses.
Apologies for my PLC business naivety, but I cant say I have ever seen a chairman's half, or full, years report in a daily news paper! Does this happen with Tigers, if so are there any "profit" warnings or playing ability statements?
How do you forcibly remove any directors, if we so wish and how did the above players walk onto the board, especially the players who seem to be making our playing decisions? Very sorry to show my lack of business knowledge but hope someone can tell be how, from a PLC, we get rid of some of those useless so and so? I suppose there are not enough outside shareholders?
https://darkroom.leicestertigers.com/or ... -final.pdf
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Dangerous4 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:12 pm I have to say that White had a nightmare of a game. He had no idea what to do with the ball, except for kicking it into the hands of Saracens! :smt017
I am no fan of White, but he was probably under instruction from Murphy, who told those present at the last open supporters forum that " kicking the ball away" is a tactic deployed to avoid exhausting the players having to spend playing to much rugby in our half. Make of that what you may.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Thank you Ellis for providing me with that, its going to take me a lot of reading, especially as a Non Accounts person to try to answer my own questions but from a quick observation there seems to be a huge number of Non Execs who Im sure are not going to resign themselves! There also seems to be a number of Graphs going in the wrong direction and one that I can see in the positive is the increase we receive from RFU.
Still no wiser as to how to get rid!. Thanks again.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

sapajo wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:45 pm
Dangerous4 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:12 pm I have to say that White had a nightmare of a game. He had no idea what to do with the ball, except for kicking it into the hands of Saracens! :smt017
I am no fan of White, but he was probably under instruction from Murphy, who told those present at the last open supporters forum that " kicking the ball away" is a tactic deployed to avoid exhausting the players having to spend playing to much rugby in our half. Make of that what you may.
Trouble is last week you saw England employing that tactic more and more, OK better kick chase, so I guess having been our tactic in the past, this encouraged us to repeat it again and again ad infinitum.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

England's kicking is planned and if off the cuff is done very well,ours is aimless and pointless!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:08 pm England's kicking is planned and if off the cuff is done very well,ours is aimless and pointless!
Exactly.