Hé hasn’t exactly got the best squad . . . . .

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Hé hasn’t exactly got the best squad . . . . .

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

CitizenSmiff wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:46 am To return to the topic at hand our squad is very far from the best and we're carrying an awful lot of dead weight, but in Taufua Taute and Reid it looks like we're finally embracing the Chiefs model of talented non-internationals that don't disappear for half the season. Add in the promising youngsters like Kerr and if we can keep Evans and spend Manu's wages on another SH midfield ball carrier I'd say we're looking pretty good for next season.
Yes hopefully we’ll be looking stronger for next season. But the problem is, so will lots of other teams like Bristol, Sale, Harlequins etc. There really is no easy fix.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Two reflections.
Yes there are questions about the BoD, and I am of one mind with Sapajo that BK, RU and GG carry most of the blame along with Cohen, Peter Tom and those 'influential senior players'. I don't expect much change there. Having said that it is IMO 2012 when the first failures to spend started to surface and the failure to add several excellent coaches let alone players.
Given our current situation, internationals and injuries, some of us are realistic enough to know 6th will be an achievement. Sack the lot posts are pointless. You either support or you don't, and although I have been very critical in the past (especially the shyster MOC), I can also see what Smurf is doing. I expect some good signings off the back of significant departures at the end of this season (and retirements from injury and concussion) and the WC (Manu). We will be back.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

jgriffin wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:15 am Two reflections.
Yes there are questions about the BoD, and I am of one mind with Sapajo that BK, RU and GG carry most of the blame along with Cohen, Peter Tom and those 'influential senior players'. I don't expect much change there. Having said that it is IMO 2012 when the first failures to spend started to surface and the failure to add several excellent coaches let alone players.
Given our current situation, internationals and injuries, some of us are realistic enough to know 6th will be an achievement. Sack the lot posts are pointless. You either support or you don't, and although I have been very critical in the past (especially the shyster MOC), I can also see what Smurf is doing. I expect some good signings off the back of significant departures at the end of this season (and retirements from injury and concussion) and the WC (Manu). We will be back.
If one attributes the lions share of blame to those mentioned by Sapajo along with those you mention and you are not expecting any significant changes in the constitution of the board then why would you expect things to improve. We got to this position by either complacency, incompetence or deliberate engineering perhaps with a view to encouraging a change in the structure and/or ownership of the club. The reward for failure is clearly promotion and bonuses.
I'm not cynical just experienced
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

The Prem is more competitive than at any time since its formation. Which is great for Rugby.
Teams are now pooling elite players and enhancing with Academy. Players are no longer going to the so called big clubs.
Again great for rugby. The present and future lies with bigger squads on a salary cap which you either breach or are economical with the truth of values.
Two notes of worth...
1) We as a club were not very astute with signings because of our slow decline in fortunes.
2) Are there too many competitions in the present game?

Until these are resolved all clubs have players missing for injuries suspensions rotation or Int duties - so the playing level is equal.
How you manage the squads is the fine line for success.
Players supporting the cause should be a given and too many have been absent when selected. This is not acceptable.
GM must be given the tools to do the Job and the proof of the pudding.........
The signs of recovery are there if you choose to see them.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

wellstiger wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:38 am The signs of recovery are there if you choose to see them.
Absolutely there are. Hopefully things will begin to become clearer once we're aware of some of the other me signings and who, ultimately, will be going.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:51 am
wellstiger wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:38 am The signs of recovery are there if you choose to see them.
Absolutely there are. Hopefully things will begin to become clearer once we're aware of some of the other me signings and who, ultimately, will be going.
Sadly as I am struggling to see the signs of recovery you have elluded to, can you please tell me what these signs are? Thank you.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

Wasn't someone keeping a relative points based on the fixtures to last season that was looking rosier than would be expected?
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Crofty wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:02 am
Wasn't someone keeping a relative points based on the fixtures to last season that was looking rosier than would be expected?
Exeter (A) 0 v 0 (-)
Falcons (H) 1 v 5 (+4)
Wasps (A) 1 v 2 (+5)
Worcester (H) 1 v 2 (+6)
Sale (H) 5 v 4 (+5)
Saints (A) 0 v 4 (+9)
Gloucester (A) 0 v 0 (+9)
Saracens (H) 0 v 1 (+10)
Irish/Bristol (A) 4 v 0 (+6)
Quins (H) 4 v 5 (+7)
Gloucester (H) 4 v 5 (+8)
Saracens (A) 5 v 0 (+3)

So we are still 3 points up on our last season prem games.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

How did we do at Wuss last season?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:12 am How did we do at Wuss last season?
TBP win I believe.
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:14 am
Scott1 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:12 am How did we do at Wuss last season?
TBP win I believe.
Mar 4, 2018 3pm
Worcester
5-34
Leicester Tigers
Faosiliva (23')
Holmes (12'), Bateman (36'), Veainu (69', 80'), Tuilagi (78')

Also thank you RB for providing the comparison :smt023
Last edited by Crofty on Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Yeah 34-5 and I don't see that bring repeated so we could be down on last season very soon.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Could well be.
We could also still be up.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I'm going for a LBP then a tight win over the pests. I did say 6 points out of this block of 3 games but now looks like 5 sadly.
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

I think the most depressing thing yesterday was the very limited game plan - very little ball of our own so what do we do when we get the ball ? - Ben White time after time takes an absolute age to kick it straight back to Sarries .