Manu to Racing 92? No! - Re-signed for Tigers!!!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Manu to Racing 92?

Post by Dangerous4 »

Well, I am of the belief that nothing is certain until "The Fat Lady Sings". However, my gut feeling is that Manu will be off to France come the end of the season, but I wouldn't put money on it.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Dangerous4 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:53 pm Well, I am of the belief that nothing is certain until "The Fat Lady Sings". However, my gut feeling is that Manu will be off to France come the end of the season, but I wouldn't put money on it.
Not sure if that is 3 idioms or 2. Either way you have done well to get them into 4 (and a bit) very short lines. :smt038
As Good As It Gets
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Ben Kayinteresting on tv for Glaws v Sarries match. Seemed resigned to Manu going, but saying that Fords contract ends next season, and that there has to be something in the pot for him, with flyhalves being so important in today’s game. He implied that if you don’t have the 10, what is the point of having your marquee players in the rest of the backs.
Valhalla I am coming!
Coleshillad
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Coleshillad »

fleabane wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:38 pm Ben Kayinteresting on tv for Glaws v Sarries match. Seemed resigned to Manu going, but saying that Fords contract ends next season, and that there has to be something in the pot for him, with flyhalves being so important in today’s game. He implied that if you don’t have the 10, what is the point of having your marquee players in the rest of the backs.
I can see the logic in this. GF is a class act, in a position that can be built around. It's an opportunity to perhap give GM a chance to impose his own vision on the future of the Tigers three quarter line, without the pressure of playing Manu in the role that everyone, including opposition teams expect.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

fleabane wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:38 pm Ben Kayinteresting on tv for Glaws v Sarries match. Seemed resigned to Manu going, but saying that Fords contract ends next season, and that there has to be something in the pot for him, with flyhalves being so important in today’s game. He implied that if you don’t have the 10, what is the point of having your marquee players in the rest of the backs.
Sounded like Manu has a decision to make but Kay rightly pointing out that we can't put all our eggs in a Manu sized basket. We all want him to stay but the wage cap means there's only so much you can spend on a centre and still build a title winning side.
JGT57

Post by JGT57 »

Did Eddie just say ‘former Leicester player’?
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

JGT57 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:51 pm Did Eddie just say ‘former Leicester player’?
Either way he can't be former as he is still our player, until the end of the season at least - typical Butler.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:02 pm
JGT57 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:51 pm Did Eddie just say ‘former Leicester player’?
Either way he can't be former as he is still our player, until the end of the season at least - typical Butler.
I thought that, but rewound and he said “the Leicester player”
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Yet again, Austin Healey has just spoken complete sense in regards to Manu.

The money Racing are offering compared to Tigers and England, although more, doesn't really make much difference when you're already on a very good amount.
Ashurstwoodtiger

Post by Ashurstwoodtiger »

And after today's performance who could blame him?
norfolkexpat
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by norfolkexpat »

For five years ,all Tigers hopes have been on this player. And where has it got us ?? Best to get rid now if he wants to go and start planning for a life without him.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

norfolkexpat wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:21 am For five years ,all Tigers hopes have been on this player. And where has it got us ?? Best to get rid now if he wants to go and start planning for a life without him.
Absolutely. I sense a bit of the schoolboy rugby mentality when I played years ago; if you had a big or quick player it was "Get it to ...(Manu)". It hasn't done us any good and England also need to heed the warning.
As Good As It Gets
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Another angle to look at this, is if Manu joins Racing but wants to play in the World Cup, he will have to be unattached from 1st July through to the end of November. This means he won't be getting paid.

On the figures rumoured, Manu will be paid 1 million euros a year, so 3 million euros based on a 3 year contract. With Tigers and England, he will be on £600k a year, so £1.8 million in total.

Baring in mind he will be unattached for 5 months, if Racing pro rata the wage, Manu would miss out on £417k. This means, Manu will be paid 2.5 million euros over 3 years. Compare this with what he will earn from Tigers and England, he will get £1.8 million over 3 years.

If you break these numbers down per month, over 36 months, Racing would be paying Manu just under £72k a month whereas Tigers would be paying him £50k a month.

When you look at it this way, it isn't a huge difference, especially if you are willing to and can afford to have no income for 5 months.

If you can afford to not be paid for 5 months, then I'm sure you can afford to get £22k a month less for the next 3 years.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

He has got to be fit and actually be selected in the first place to earn England money.
Some folk seem to be assuming that he'll play ten England matches a season after Japan and I just can't see it playing out that way to be honest.
He hasn't even been selected for the World Cup yet.
How are ten extra matches working for Itoje or Lawes and so on!
Plus if he has a young family then ten extra matches is more time away.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

ellis9 wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:47 pm Another angle to look at this, is if Manu joins Racing but wants to play in the World Cup, he will have to be unattached from 1st July through to the end of November. This means he won't be getting paid.

On the figures rumoured, Manu will be paid 1 million euros a year, so 3 million euros based on a 3 year contract. With Tigers and England, he will be on £600k a year, so £1.8 million in total.

Baring in mind he will be unattached for 5 months, if Racing pro rata the wage, Manu would miss out on £417k. This means, Manu will be paid 2.5 million euros over 3 years. Compare this with what he will earn from Tigers and England, he will get £1.8 million over 3 years.

If you break these numbers down per month, over 36 months, Racing would be paying Manu just under £72k a month whereas Tigers would be paying him £50k a month.

When you look at it this way, it isn't a huge difference, especially if you are willing to and can afford to have no income for 5 months.

If you can afford to not be paid for 5 months, then I'm sure you can afford to get £22k a month less for the next 3 years.
The Racing offer is apparently £2.5 million contract from the completion of the RWC until the end of the 2021/22 season. He would technically be unattached from the completion of his Tigers contract until the Racing one begins after the RWC but he will still earn £2.5 million from the end of the RWC to the end of 2021/22. He won't lose money 'pro rata'.

If he plays the RWC he won't be unpaid for 5 months either as he'll be getting £25k per England appearance.

The most significant difference in wage comes if he suffers another injury setback. In that circumstance he would still be earning the full £2.5 million at Racing but would miss out of England payments were he at Tigers.

The rumoured Tigers offer is £560k as well from what I've heard.

It's a big decision for him but I hope he stays at Tigers and plays more international rugby.