Gordon Banks OBE R.I.P.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Gordon Banks OBE R.I.P.

Post by strawclearer »

I know this is a Rugby Forum but Gordon Banks was so much part of the 'stuff' of Leicester that perhaps we'd like to mark his passing here.

As a boy growing up in Leicester who spent his time flitting between Welford Road and Filbert Street, the news of his passing has truly brought me to tears. I'm sure many on here will have more personal stories. I never met him properly - touched him a couple of times as he signed a programme and I once wore an old yellow jersey of his when I played a match in goal at school. It didn't help - we lost 12-0 - so the magic must have been his rather than his jersey's!

Condolences to all who knew, respected and loved him.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47196017
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Re: Gordon Banks OBE R.I.P.

Post by Mark62 »

Totally agree and right it should be posted.
I remember us getting a colour TV for the 1970 World Cup and that save from Pele feels like it was yesterday. Great commentary too I think from David Coleman
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

A very sad day for football and Leicester. Thoughts are with his family and friends at this time. Thanks for all those memories.
Gordon Banks RIP
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

The greatest save ever is all over the news channels

https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/tvvideo ... vp-BBTtO3L
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

A real gent, I did meet him on a few occasions both socially and later through his business connection with a local company. I remember him coming through as a young player, gradually displacing Dave Maclaren in the City goal, it took some awhile to realise that he rarely needed to make the diving saves his predecessor made as Banksy was already in the right place. I remember on a day when my rugby match was not played for some reason going to St Andrews to watch Birmingham versus Leicester City and standing among the Brummie fans, a wonderful shot from Trevor Hockey was destined for the top corner of the goal I stood behind when Gordon's hand somehow got there and palmed the ball away. The comments from the frustrated Birmingham fans were along the lines of " Its not fair, if you have a goalie like that you should give us a goal start ".
A wonderful player and a lovely man.
Crumblies
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Crumblies »

Gordon Banks was the reason I swapped allegiance/passion from football and Leicester City to Rugby and Leicester Tigers.

Until 1967 I followed the City everywhere home and away, Banks was my hero. To accommodate Peter Shilton Leicester City released him to Stoke for £50 000, a world cup winner and undisputed best Goalkeeper in the World. Can you believe it ? Shilton later left for £365 000. I vowed never to return to Filbert Street.

My memories of him are legion but perhaps the most moving involves the occasions I traveled to Anfield. Invariably when Banks went to his goal at the kop end the whole of the kop 28 000 people would rise in unison to applaud long and loud an opposing player. On one occasion I travelled to Liverpool for an FA cup match City lost 1 - 0. The Liverpool supporters dubbed it Liverpool 1 - Gordon Banks 0. He was all that stood between us and a 6-0 thrashing.

So Yes a sad day.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Crumblies you are correct, Banks against his will was sold to Stoke, he told me that there was a phone call from Liverpool but Matt Gillies rejected their offer because he had already agreed terms with Stoke and he had no intention of entering into an auction. Gordon Banks feelings were of no consequence. Derek Dougan decided to leave Leicester and move to Wolves as the selling of Banks showed that City had no ambition, if only he had waited fifty years!
Jacko27

Post by Jacko27 »

Yes, like you Strawclearer, I used to flit between Filbert Street and Welford Road in the late 50's & early 60's. My Grandfather was an avid City supporter and he used to take me to stand on the terraces at Filbert Street in the Matt Gillies/ Howard Riley/Ken Keyworth/Jimmy Walsh era but of course my boyhood hero was the great, brilliant, athletic but always modest Gordon Banks. I think Matt Gillies took the pragmatic decision to sell Banks to Stoke for the then massive sum of £57,000 as he also had a young, talented (and cheap) replacement in Peter Shilton. I think he played far more games for Leicester than Stoke but perhaps that's why so many of the obituaries seem to focus on his allegiance to Stoke. Eventually my allegiances turned towards rugby & Tigers but I always had a theory that Gordon would have made :censored: good full back!
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Banks was moved on because Shilton basically gave the club an ultimatum, play me or let me leave, I wonder how many other clubs what had 1 of the greatest players in the history of a position immediately replaced by another, without having to buy him in?

The word legend had been prostituted in media but Gordon Banks truly was a legend, may he Rest In Peace
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

One of my earliest sporting heroes. RIP Mr Banks.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

It is widely reported today that he was on the Queens Birthday Honours list for a knighthood in June. This should have happened three years ago, but the papaerwork was « mislaid ».

Let’s hope that someone sees sense and acts against precedence, and that Banks is posthumously given a well earned award.
Valhalla I am coming!
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

fleabane wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:36 pm It is widely reported today that he was on the Queens Birthday Honours list for a knighthood in June. This should have happened three years ago, but the papaerwork was « mislaid ».

Let’s hope that someone sees sense and acts against precedence, and that Banks is posthumously given a well earned award.
can you be knighted posthumously?
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Medals can be awarded posthumously :-)
Valhalla I am coming!
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

fleabane wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:24 pm Medals can be awarded posthumously :-)
Knighthoods expire upon death though
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:25 pm
fleabane wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:24 pm Medals can be awarded posthumously :-)
Knighthoods expire upon death though
Really? I always assumed that, if it's not hereditary, a Knighthood can't be passed down but it still applies to the recipient. In the news at the moment, Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill KG OM CH TD DL FRS RA is still referred to as a 'Sir' thanks to his award in life of the Knight of the Garter honour.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives