Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Re: Gordon Banks OBE R.I.P.

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

strawclearer wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:21 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:25 pm
fleabane wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:24 pm Medals can be awarded posthumously :-)
Knighthoods expire upon death though
Really? I always assumed that, if it's not hereditary, a Knighthood can't be passed down but it still applies to the recipient. In the news at the moment, Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill KG OM CH TD DL FRS RA is still referred to as a 'Sir' thanks to his award in life of the Knight of the Garter honour.
they still refer to him as that but officially they expire upon death, that's why Jimmy Saville couldn't be stripped of his
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Crumblies wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:37 pm Gordon Banks was the reason I swapped allegiance/passion from football and Leicester City to Rugby and Leicester Tigers.

Until 1967 I followed the City everywhere home and away, Banks was my hero. To accommodate Peter Shilton Leicester City released him to Stoke for £50 000, a world cup winner and undisputed best Goalkeeper in the World. Can you believe it ? Shilton later left for £365 000. I vowed never to return to Filbert Street.

My memories of him are legion but perhaps the most moving involves the occasions I traveled to Anfield. Invariably when Banks went to his goal at the kop end the whole of the kop 28 000 people would rise in unison to applaud long and loud an opposing player. On one occasion I travelled to Liverpool for an FA cup match City lost 1 - 0. The Liverpool supporters dubbed it Liverpool 1 - Gordon Banks 0. He was all that stood between us and a 6-0 thrashing.

So Yes a sad day.
I too was moved to tears as he has been my idol since I first saw him play in 1960 at White Hart Lane, where City were the first team to win there in over a year. His passing has left me devastated, and as I post now, there are tears in my eyes.

Gordon was indeed a truly lovely man, gentle and kind, as well as being the greatest goalkeeper the world has ever seen. His amazing understanding of where the ball would need to be stopped was uncanny, and his unbelievable ability to save "certain" goals was an experience that will forever remain firmly instilled in my memory; just so many magical moments.

The city of Leicester should have erected a statue of him long ago, and should still do so.

I feel very empty inside at this sad time, as if a part of me has died. God bless you Gordon, and thank you for so many wonderful memories.----R.I.P.
newport tiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by newport tiger »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:39 pm
fleabane wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:36 pm It is widely reported today that he was on the Queens Birthday Honours list for a knighthood in June. This should have happened three years ago, but the papaerwork was « mislaid ».

Let’s hope that someone sees sense and acts against precedence, and that Banks is posthumously given a well earned award.
can you be knighted posthumously?
I find the whole idea of knighthoods a total farce, you have Sir Rod Stewart & Sir Mick Jagger both of whom live outside of the UK for most of the year to avoid paying their taxes. Within sporting circles there is Sir Trevor Brooking who was capped 47 times and won 2 FA cups. Martin Johnson was capped 84 times, winning almost everything on the domestic front as well as being the captain of the world cup winning team but is only deemed worthy of a CBE. Gordon Banks was loved by football fans throughout the game and that is a very rare commodity RIP.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Knighthoods of themselves are not hereditary. It is only for that reason they expire after death. If a baronetsy, the recipient is addressed as « Sir », and the title is hereditary.

Banks’ award would not have been a hereditary award, but he would still (have) been addressed as Sir Gordon Banks.
Valhalla I am coming!