Use it from Nigel Owens

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Yorkshire man
Top Cat
Top Cat

Use it from Nigel Owens

Post by Yorkshire man »

Well dear old Nigel covered the England France game yesterday and in doing so set a record for reffing the most six nations matches. Congratulations to him. During the game I noted that rather then calling "use it" to players at the base of scrums etc, he started to just shout "use". Now that was all well and good until the England replacement, Hughes, came onto the pitch. I couldn't help but notice that whenever Nigel shouted "use" from that point onward, poor old Hughes looked up from wherever his head was to see what he was doing wrong, which all the time was nothing at all.

Come on Nigel, please be more careful. There may be players out there called "Advantage", or "Penalty", you never know.
PGD
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: Use it from Nigel Owens

Post by PGD »

Yorkshire man wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:08 am Well dear old Nigel covered the England France game yesterday and in doing so set a record for reffing the most six nations matches. Congratulations to him. During the game I noted that rather then calling "use it" to players at the base of scrums etc, he started to just shout "use". Now that was all well and good until the England replacement, Hughes, came onto the pitch. I couldn't help but notice that whenever Nigel shouted "use" from that point onward, poor old Hughes looked up from wherever his head was to see what he was doing wrong, which all the time was nothing at all.

Come on Nigel, please be more careful. There may be players out there called "Advantage", or "Penalty", you never know.
:smt005 :smt005 :smt005
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Very good!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

I thought Nigel Owens refereed that game well, and kept it flowing as best he could. I agree with the "use / use it" comments however. :smt002
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

At the risk of introducing seriousness to the thread, I thought the 'use it' time limit only applies to rucks. So what happens if the ball isn't used from the scrum when Sir shouts?
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

northerntiger wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:34 pm At the risk of introducing seriousness to the thread, I thought the 'use it' time limit only applies to rucks. So what happens if the ball isn't used from the scrum when Sir shouts?
I think that partly it's a way of saying "I'm not giving a penalty or free kick, so get on with it". Don't know the law side of things.
Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Coops »

Most pointless thing in the game - refs shouting use it and players just generally ignore it. Don't think I've ever seen a penalty or free kick given against.
HantsTiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by HantsTiger »

Coops wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:31 pm Most pointless thing in the game - refs shouting use it and players just generally ignore it. Don't think I've ever seen a penalty or free kick given against.
He had to tell Lenny twice at the same breakdown in the first 30s, as England were busy lengthening the ruck to get more protection. I was sure he'd ping us once he'd asked once.
Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Coops »

HantsTiger wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:41 pm
Coops wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:31 pm Most pointless thing in the game - refs shouting use it and players just generally ignore it. Don't think I've ever seen a penalty or free kick given against.
He had to tell Lenny twice at the same breakdown in the first 30s, as England were busy lengthening the ruck to get more protection. I was sure he'd ping us once he'd asked once.
True, thats a joke as well, lengthening the ruck - seems at times there'd be 7-8 players making it longer!!!!
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

You can't give a pen or free kick from not using it from the scrum. I tend to think when they shout it means 'use it or we re set'