Mark Wilson

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Mark Wilson

Post by fortysix »

If Newcastle get relegated, have Tigers made provisions to sign this gem ??

And if not, why not ?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Mark Wilson

Post by Scott1 »

I expect a queue!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

I've heard from a Falcons fan that Wilson has committed regardless, i.e. no release clause. His view being that there's no prem rugby between the RWC starting and end of this season so if he's making the RWC squad, which he surely will, then Falcons being relegated would have no impact on it.

He's settled in Newcastle, gets very well paid by Falcons and because he's recently broken through with England he views his significant match fees as a bonus rather than a right - which some England players have come to do apparently.

Worst case scenario, he's confident Falcons would come straight back-up and then he'd still be in the England frame with how he's playing.

I believe Tigers have chased Wilson a few times to no avail. Obviously I'd take him in a heartbeat if available though.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Huge respect to him then,another Pennell,a dying breed!!!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

He's also 29. I'm sure Falcons have put a long term deal in front of him then that should look after him. He's a fan favourite at his local club why change and take a risk if Falcons are going to secure his financial future.

Obviously most clubs in the country would love to have him and I'm sure his agent fielded plenty of offers.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Good that he's got some loyalty and his agent isn't ruling his every move
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:09 am Good that he's got some loyalty and his agent isn't ruling his every move
I thought players were right to chase the cash though as they have very short careers?

Whenever I mention players leaving Tigers for more money shows where their priorities lie, I get told that you can't blame players for moving for more money due to their short careers.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

ellis9 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:08 am
longlivethecrumbie wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:09 am Good that he's got some loyalty and his agent isn't ruling his every move
I thought players were right to chase the cash though as they have very short careers?

Whenever I mention players leaving Tigers for more money shows where their priorities lie, I get told that you can't blame players for moving for more money due to their short careers.
Both statements are correct. Players do have short careers and going elsewhere for more game time and cash is perfectly understandable. However, Wilson staying loyal is nice to see, regardless of the ££££ extra that he could earn elsewhere.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Wilson will be on very good money at Falcons. I doubt he'd get a big raise by going anywhere else in the Prem and if he moved to France he'd get flogged and likely shorten his career. Plus in France he wouldn't have earned £150,000 from England performances so far this season.

For some players being loyal and getting well paid can come hand-in-hand. For others no longer fitting into coaches plans, changes in personal life or just an unexpected offer from another club can force their hand.

Falcons aren't a huge playing budget but the players Deano identifies as key get good wages.

When McGuigan went back to Falcons he got a comparable pay rise to what Thacker got going to Bristol. That's for a guy who's now sat on the bench behind Kyle Cooper as well.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

It is increasingly likely that no club will go down this season.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

That's my thinking too,next season will be a 13 team league and the sooner the better for me!
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

I hate the thought that relegation / promotion may end this season. It is totally unfair to deny Championship clubs the opportunity to get promotion. How undemocratic such a dire move would be? :smt018
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Dangerous4 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:17 pm I hate the thought that relegation / promotion may end this season. It is totally unfair to deny Championship clubs the opportunity to get promotion. How undemocratic such a dire move would be? :smt018
Since when has rugby been democratic, shall we have another referendum?

To be fair an expanded league with Leeds and Irish makes sense. No other championship club financially really has a chance coming up, London Welsh tried and went bust for their efforts.

We could also scrap the meaningless premiership shield or cup whatever it’s called and have 4 more games that count for something.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Probably needs another thread but a 13 team league makes no sense to me as every week there will be one club without a game. Go to 14?
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

That's the point,bin the PRC and the season is long enough for a team to have a bye every week. Good for player welfare.