Mark Wilson

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Mark Wilson

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Old Hob wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:38 pm It is increasingly likely that no club will go down this season.
The RFU and Nigel Melville will need to do a complete U-turn for it to happen this season. Irish wouldn't be too happy either :smt002. Them and Ealing have already said they would look to mount a legal challenge.

Next season, though...
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Irish would be the team completing the 13 though? If/when it is ringfenced it won't be 12 teams,it will either be 13 or 14.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
HantsTiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by HantsTiger »

Cagey Tiger wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:12 pm
Old Hob wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:38 pm It is increasingly likely that no club will go down this season.
The RFU and Nigel Melville will need to do a complete U-turn for it to happen this season. Irish wouldn't be too happy either :smt002. Them and Ealing have already said they would look to mount a legal challenge.

Next season, though...
Trailfinders are backed by big money, the issue (like Welsh found out) will be the stadium requirements. I'm sure I read that they would groundshare with Brentford or someone like that.

As champions elect and Prem old guard, I'm sure Irish will be inside the ringfence
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

And dont forget there are 13 shareholders(current GP plus LI) plus LI get a cut of the CVC money too. It looks like it's happening to me.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
HantsTiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by HantsTiger »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:40 pm And dont forget there are 13 shareholders(current GP plus LI) plus LI get a cut of the CVC money too. It looks like it's happening to me.
That's it, shareholders! I knew that LI had a bigger in than just being part of the old guard. Thanks Scott, that's been driving me mad since I answered earlier :smt023
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Dangerous4 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:17 pm I hate the thought that relegation / promotion may end this season. It is totally unfair to deny Championship clubs the opportunity to get promotion. How undemocratic such a dire move would be? :smt018
They shouldn't be changing the rule this season. At the start of the 2018/19 season, clubs were aware that if they finish 12th, they will be relegated and the top placed team in the Championship would secure promotion.

If they change it now, it will be completely wrong!
maire88
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by maire88 »

Ring fencing won’t happen this season for sure.
As a Nottingham fan I hope it doesn’t happen next season either.
I also don’t see why Carnegie should get an automatic pass into the top flight- they picking themselves up a bit now but they’ve been cemented to the bottom of the league most of the season and looked dead certs to drop to National 1.
Why on earth would anyone want a team like that in the top flight?! Given they couldn’t win a game in the Championship most of the season how on earth would they manage in the Prem?!
Just because they rattle round in a big stadium doesn’t mean they’re any good.
Apologies for the rant but it really gets my back up. The Championship is going to become an absolute waste of time and it could spell the death knell for the game below the Premiership.
There might be a ring fenced Prem but if there’s nothing between that and a load of amateurs with one man and his dog on a Saturday afternoon then what’s the good in that?!
Formerly hww27
Proud to have been the Tom Youngs Fan Club since 2010
Rhinos rule :smt002 :smt050
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

maire88 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:56 pm Ring fencing won’t happen this season for sure.
I also don’t see why Carnegie should get an automatic pass into the top flight- they picking themselves up a bit now but they’ve been cemented to the bottom of the league most of the season and looked dead certs to drop to National 1.
Why on earth would anyone want a team like that in the top flight?! Given they couldn’t win a game in the Championship most of the season how on earth would they manage in the Prem?!
Apologies for the rant but it really gets my back up. The Championship is going to become an absolute waste of time and it could spell the death knell for the game below the Premiership.
There might be a ring fenced Prem but if there’s nothing between that and a load of amateurs with one man and his dog on a Saturday afternoon then what’s the good in that?!
Apparently, ring fencing will grow the game!

It won't. It may grow the Premiership but as you say, the Championship and below, will die a death! Therefore, it won't grow the game.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

ellis9 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:20 pm
maire88 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:56 pm Ring fencing won’t happen this season for sure.

It won't. It may grow the Premiership but as you say, the Championship and below, will die a death! Therefore, it won't grow the game.
Not necessarily, no one is seriously suggesting complete ringfencing this year, and the Championship is almost at death’s door regardless because of lack of RFU investiture.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

I believe "The game" may well grow but only in certain parts (Prem) and that at the expense of other parts of the game such as the Championship and the England team; the former for the reasons outlined above and the latter due to the inexorable drift towards a Premier League model of recruiting.

With more money coming into the Prem due to the stability brought about by ring-fencing and the likes of the CVC money I think the Prem teams will increadingly look overseas for players at the expense of home grown talent. I saw a crazy figure not long ago that something like only 25% of Premier League players are England qualified which I think explains the parlous state of English football; I know England did well in the recent Workg Cup but one swallow doesn't make a summer.

I am not really too fussed about football but I do care about rugby and, whilst I would actually priotitise Tigers over England, I woukd like us to be developing local talent - there is something special about watching a Harrison , a Cole, a Genge or a brace of Youngs.
As Good As It Gets
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

JP14 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:44 am
ellis9 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:20 pm

Not necessarily, no one is seriously suggesting complete ringfencing this year, and the Championship is almost at death’s door regardless because of lack of RFU investiture.
I know but regardless of when it happens, it's still wrong. It's wrong this season, next season and in 5 seasons.
Loob19

Post by Loob19 »

Going on current Fissler form - Ben Kay and Manu have liked Wilson on Twitter so he must have signed for us! :smt005
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

More homegrown talent/squad would be used though with ringfencing. Imagine,like our Irish counterparts,being able to rest our top players before/after a big European game instead of having to rush them back in as happens now.
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:38 pm More homegrown talent/squad would be used though with ringfencing. Imagine,like our Irish counterparts,being able to rest our top players before/after a big European game instead of having to rush them back in as happens now.
True, but would reduce the excitement of the league, the teams not going for top 4 or 6 would have little to play for for most of the season, and many of the games would end up with 2nd team squads, which would probably lead to crowd drop off and possibly reduction in sponsorship and TV money. Not sure this would be great for the club game
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

I have something to say but I'm not allowed. It comes to something when I am unable to say something in a country with free speech.

I guess one person on here and a moderator outweigh free speech though.