Sarries next week

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Sarries next week

Post by Scott1 »

I thought Worth looked good last season outside Simmonds in the LV Cup. You usually get players that are either a 10/12 or 10/15 but Worth to me looks more like a 12/15 which is hard to find a player to compare with. Would he be worth moulding into a 13 ala Henry Slade who also has FB skills?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:01 pm I thought Worth looked good last season outside Simmonds in the LV Cup. You usually get players that are either a 10/12 or 10/15 but Worth to me looks more like a 12/15 which is hard to find a player to compare with. Would he be worth moulding into a 13 ala Henry Slade who also has FB skills?
Agreed, his best position for me is 13 also which is where I think MOC played him. He does have great handling which allows him to unlock defences on the outside.
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stephen18 »

For me yesterday Worth reminded me of the likes of Matt Smith and Tait, in that although he may never be the best in any one position, but cover quite a few and won’t let you down in any of them. Which is a great player to have in the squad and he could go on to be a great club servant, much like the two Matt’s.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Would be a shame to lose him to Wasps.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:23 pm Would be a shame to lose him to Wasps.
He’s in contract next year. Hopefully the Murphy effect will give academy graduates confidence in wanting to stay at the club.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Has this Harrison story got legs too?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:13 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:01 pm I thought Worth looked good last season outside Simmonds in the LV Cup. You usually get players that are either a 10/12 or 10/15 but Worth to me looks more like a 12/15 which is hard to find a player to compare with. Would he be worth moulding into a 13 ala Henry Slade who also has FB skills?
Agreed, his best position for me is 13 also which is where I think MOC played him. He does have great handling which allows him to unlock defences on the outside.
13 could be an option in the future.
Personally I'd start the ball rolling at 10.
I recall many folk scoffing at the idea of Slade as a 13 and look at him now.
Worth is a strong player who could flourish in the right areas.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

BFG wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:39 am
sam16111986 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:26 am
BFG wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:07 am

Worth has always been a strong player, MOC was right and as yesterday proved again he has attacking strength flat to the line and amongst traffic, Worth has a bit of Farrell about him and he should be developing as a 10 in my opinion.
Hardwick has more of the Oli Bryant about him, in my opinion.
Interesting comparisons. Watching Hardwick for the England under 20s reminded me strongly of Farrell at the same age. That massive boot, defensive physicality, short passing game close to the line with the occasional big pass to the winger. Farrell was a very limited player at that age and in some ways still is (he's never had a side step). He had a Sarries team that played to his strengths and benefitted massively from going on a Lions tour with BOD and Sexton.

Worth reminds me more of Vesty. Particularly with that dummy and step yesterday, I always loved the way he seemed to ghost past the first tackler. Whilst he can play 10 I'm not sure his kicking is accurate enough. I certainly thought he should move to 12 in the summer but since Murphy has come in he's become so strong under the high ball I'd keep him at 15. Brown never had the pace but did alright at 15. Plus utility backs are really useful.

I remember Oli Bryant for a great side step and skillful passing game. Didn't have the kicking range to manage a game and wasn't physical enough to move to 12. Then again he didn't get too many chances.
Well we certainly do see things differently.
Brown has very good pace.
Worth has the focus and physical potential for the position that a young Farrell had in my opinion, the rest is development as was the case for Farrell.
There are all different sorts of 10 and combinations and ideas on such, and for me from what I have seen I see potential in a future Simmons/Worth half back pairing, whether others can or can't though is far more important.
I certainly hope Simmons has the same pace he had before injury. Having the competition between him and White in the squad is good for us. All four scrum halfs pushing for places in the 23.

The problem with earmarking Worth as a 10 is that he's unlikely to get much game time there. Ford will play in a large proportion of the games and then for next season we'll have Reid as well as Hardwick and Costelow pushing on in contention. Fullback is an area of relative weakness in comparison and Worth looking increasingly solid under the high ball and improving his positioning with experience is pushing him up to second choice in the pecking order.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

G.K wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:01 pm Maybe I mis-heard it about Harrison but at some point they mentioned someone playing for Barf next season? It could have been a different player and I have my wires crossed?
Commentary mentioned Mike Williams going to Bath which has been known for a while now. No mention of Harrison going.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

To lose Harrison would be awful, but there seems to be nothing in the rumour to substantiate it.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Dangerous4 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:06 pm To lose Harrison would be awful, but there seems to be nothing in the rumour to substantiate it.
I always said that if the club dropped Smith or Harrison it would surely have lost its way.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

I was disappointed at the result yesterday. It was certainly not a fair reflection of the game.We all know that AP is a dreadful place to go and that damn plastic pitch gave them two tries at least. (The bounce is NOT the same as on a proper grass field).
However, we won the first half, despite an obviously weaker squad and the try just before half time was a joy to see.
The conversation at half time over a coffee and pie was Clark. He was up to his dirty tricks again with off the ball cheap shots and yet never once got pinged. I was also in line with numerous occasions when the home team's back line were a yard off side and the ref kept missing them. This was even worse in the second half .
Home opinion was that the Saffacens bench was all they needed in the second half and their salary cap cheating was duly writ large. They clearly cannot be spending the same money as the rest of us to maintain a squad that big and experienced. It defies all logic. The home fans were reluctant to concede this, of course and made me want to ram their program where the sun won't shine. They really are a phoney, despicable plastic club. Plastic in every way and they are buying the premiership as surely as Manchester City will buy the wendyball titles.
Come the end of the game there was a classic blocking move which went unseen on the field and not even commented on by the TV commentators. We all called it at the ground.
Watching a game live and then watching the replay later you see even more officiating mistakes. On the ground we thought that "sir" had missed a lot and greatly to our disadvantage in the second half especially. Watching the game on TV later on, it was obvious. Rush defences can't be that close unless they are offside at the off. I am not a happy bunny today.
A life long Tiger
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Smudge wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:10 pm I was disappointed at the result yesterday. It was certainly not a fair reflection of the game.We all know that AP is a dreadful place to go and that damn plastic pitch gave them two tries at least. (The bounce is NOT the same as on a proper grass field).
However, we won the first half, despite an obviously weaker squad and the try just before half time was a joy to see.
The conversation at half time over a coffee and pie was Clark. He was up to his dirty tricks again with off the ball cheap shots and yet never once got pinged. I was also in line with numerous occasions when the home team's back line were a yard off side and the ref kept missing them. This was even worse in the second half .
Home opinion was that the Saffacens bench was all they needed in the second half and their salary cap cheating was duly writ large. They clearly cannot be spending the same money as the rest of us to maintain a squad that big and experienced. It defies all logic. The home fans were reluctant to concede this, of course and made me want to ram their program where the sun won't shine. They really are a phoney, despicable plastic club. Plastic in every way and they are buying the premiership as surely as Manchester City will buy the wendyball titles.
Come the end of the game there was a classic blocking move which went unseen on the field and not even commented on by the TV commentators. We all called it at the ground.
Watching a game live and then watching the replay later you see even more officiating mistakes. On the ground we thought that "sir" had missed a lot and greatly to our disadvantage in the second half especially. Watching the game on TV later on, it was obvious. Rush defences can't be that close unless they are offside at the off. I am not a happy bunny today.
Tigers should have taken my advice and gone to Leicester Forest last week, keep booting the ball in the air like Wigglesworth and Spencer and pracitised for the bad ball bounces. We are away on another plastic pitch next week, will they learn?
Earlier I mentioned the blocking, especially at kick chase, not defending Varndell, but no one could get to the ball, everytime we were blocked out.
Agree with the offsides!
Regarding the final kicks through, our back 3 were not deep enough for that wind, bad bounces and fumbles on a plaggy pitch did for us, but we were slow to get back and the rucking was half hearted!
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

LE18 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:56 pm
Smudge wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:10 pm I was disappointed at the result yesterday. It was certainly not a fair reflection of the game.We all know that AP is a dreadful place to go and that damn plastic pitch gave them two tries at least. (The bounce is NOT the same as on a proper grass field).
Tigers should have taken my advice and gone to Leicester Forest last week, keep booting the ball in the air like Wigglesworth and Spencer and pracitised for the bad ball bounces. We are away on another plastic pitch next week, will they learn?
Earlier I mentioned the blocking, especially at kick chase, not defending Varndell, but no one could get to the ball, everytime we were blocked out.
Agree with the offsides!
Regarding the final kicks through, our back 3 were not deep enough for that wind, bad bounces and fumbles on a plaggy pitch did for us, but we were slow to get back and the rucking was half hearted!
They don't need to go to Leicester Forest. They've got a 3G pitch at Oval Park.

Did you attend any training sessions this week? I doubt you did so I'm not sure how you know what Tigers did and didn't practice.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

ellis9 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:01 pm
LE18 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:56 pm
Agree with the offsides!
They don't need to go to Leicester Forest. They've got a 3G pitch at Oval Park.

Did you attend any training sessions this week? I doubt you did so I'm not sure how you know what Tigers did and didn't practice.
His point still stands.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni