Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ellis9
Super User
Super User

Supporters Forum 5th Feb 2019

Post by ellis9 »

Updates here for those interested:

Geordan, can you give us your assessment so far?

"It has been a tough start to the season, obviously with Matt O'Connor leaving after Round 1, and we're all in agreement on that. We've had a mixed bag of results, including a couple of very disappointing results."
"We've been trying to iron out our game as the season has gone and it feels a bit like we're playing catch up on a weekly basis and a bit like we missed a pre-season."
"I see a lot of positives in our game ... I think the league is very competitive. Two or three wins on the bounce will put you in play off contention. We're only going to get better."
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Re: Supporters Forum 5th Feb 2019

Post by ellis9 »

What were the first three things you changed when Matt O'Connor left?

"Matt did a lot of good things ... we didn't throw the baby out with the bathwater."

We've played a bit more conservatively in our own half, with a view to preserve energy. Otherwise, we kept the kit, the balls, the players."

"We needed to get a lot more energy in the group and back up and running after a disappointing first game which players were disappointed after it showed not much had changed in the new season."
Last edited by ellis9 on Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Cheers Ellis9, at least one here 'interested' and reading from afar - much appreciated!
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Why do we seem to kick the ball so much?

"We thought we were expending too much energy and so use it in a bid to preserve that in a better way."

"It's a tactical move ... as we've seen in recent seasons, we haven't been the best at chasing games down towards the end of matches."

"Sometimes our kicking game isn't as good as it should be and we need to improve that. That's my role and that's on me."
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

We're starting to see much more young players come in to the team, is this a policy or are the current crop better than we've seen in recent years?

Geordan: "It's great to see guys coming through, but we have not picked anybody just because they came through the Academy. They have worked hard and deserve the spot."

Ant Allen: "Those young guys have worked very hard and we need to be asking whether they have earned the right to put on the jersey. That's down to their hard work and proving to us that they deserve to be in the team."
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

Cheers Ellis :smt023
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Can you give us an insight in to why we recruit the players, the way we recruit and how we recruit?

Geordan: "To be honest, it has been tricky due to chopping and changing coaches over the last few years and them recruiting in different ways. We have inherited a group."

Geordan: "We meet on a weekly basis, analyse and review potential recruits and then try and fit all of it in under the salary cap - which is a tough thing to do."

Geordan: "For next season, it's nearly there. It's nearly done and we understand it's frustrating for fans who want to know who we are signing."
Last edited by ellis9 on Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Are you simply copy and pasting from Tigers Twitter feed, or do you write the twitter feed?
Flash

Post by Flash »

Thanks for updates Ellis
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

We read about different coaching philosophies and styles, including coaches getting involved at training. Is that something you guys do?

Ant: "Occasionally I'll join in and I don't mind that, it keeps me fit."

Boris: "I'm not very fit anymore, but do try and participate wherever I can. I wouldn't last a warm up these days but on the odd occasion I put myself in there."
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Thanks Ellis, good to see the updates.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

What are the biggest changes since you've seen since returning and what are you doing to improve the defence?

Phil Blake: "I've only been here three weeks. I couldn't say there's been massive ones, except for personnel."

Phil: "We're taking it back to basics and trying to get clarity in your roles and responsibilities. I think we've seen improvements. Moving forward, these extra weeks we have at the moment will show us big improvements."

Phil: "If you don't get clarity in your intent, it's wasted. Once we get that, having been here previously, these boys will bring that. But it needs to be the right intent."
Last edited by ellis9 on Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Fantasy time. Ignore the salary cap for now, who would you bring in if you had the chance to get any player and money was not a problem?

Boris: "I have that player and his name is Dan Cole."
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

With Cohen Glynn not up on the table don't expect any transfer hints.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

ellis9 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:34 pm Fantasy time. Ignore the salary cap for now, who would you bring in if you had the chance to get any player and money was not a problem?

Boris: "I have that player and his name is Dan Cole."
You have to love that
As Good As It Gets