Daly off to pastures new...

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Daly off to pastures new...

Post by Scott1 »

I see what you mean. I thought you meant he went for less than his existing contract,which I guess to be around 300k if Launchbury is on 270k,my mistake.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Saracens have a reputation for rotating their players. Players that sign there know they will get chances to start (Singleton knows he'll have a chance to compete for George's place) and they know because of that rotation their workload will be managed (Daly knows he won't have to play every game and will be more likely to be fresher and fitter for the big games).

The Sarries players tend to end up playing for England which is also a draw.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Scott1 wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:26 pm I see what you mean. I thought you meant he went for less than his existing contract,which I guess to be around 300k if Launchbury is on 270k,my mistake.
Ah I see. No, apparently Wasps significant upped their contract after Sarries made a big offer but Daly had made his mind up.

There are a few players who signed longer contracts just before wages really exploded who are on surprisingly low salaries currently. Wages have increased so quickly that everything is worryingly distorted in terms of sustainability. Itoje is another like Launchbury who is currently on much less than you would expect because his current contract was signed in 2016. Next year Itoje will be one of the most expensive marquee players in the league however.

I've heard from a reliable Falcons fan that George McGuigan is on more than £300k. Given he's sat on the bench behind Kyle Cooper it's pretty ludicrous if he's on more than Launchbury but it's a sign of the times.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

ABClub wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:37 pm
Scott1 wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:26 pm I see what you mean. I thought you meant he went for less than his existing contract,which I guess to be around 300k if Launchbury is on 270k,my mistake.
Ah I see. No, apparently Wasps significant upped their contract after Sarries made a big offer but Daly had made his mind up.

There are a few players who signed longer contracts just before wages really exploded who are on surprisingly low salaries currently. Wages have increased so quickly that everything is worryingly distorted in terms of sustainability. Itoje is another like Launchbury who is currently on much less than you would expect because his current contract was signed in 2016. Next year Itoje will be one of the most expensive marquee players in the league however.

I've heard from a reliable Falcons fan that George McGuigan is on more than £300k. Given he's sat on the bench behind Kyle Cooper it's pretty ludicrous if he's on more than Launchbury but it's a sign of the times.
Itoje cannot be a marquee player. If he's on mega money next season then it'll come out of Saracens 'salary cap'
Last edited by ellis9 on Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

ellis9 wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:46 pm

Itoje cannot be a marquee player. Olof he's on mega money next season then it'll come out if Saracens 'salary cap'
Under what grounds?
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

ABClub wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:50 pm
ellis9 wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:46 pm

Itoje cannot be a marquee player. Olof he's on mega money next season then it'll come out if Saracens 'salary cap'
Under what grounds?
Apologies. My mistake. I was getting confused around Premiership clubs signing other Premiership clubs players for which they cannot be a marquee player.