Daly off to pastures new...

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Firesafetydave

Daly off to pastures new...

Post by Firesafetydave »

Hi all, not posted in a while as have been working abroad, but the advantage of being in the Middle East is I have seen an article that doesn’t look like it has been commented on in the forum yet:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/47122811

Daly would be on £££ as he is on top of his game right now, so assuming he will get a fair few offers (or have one in the bag already) but would he be a good addition to Tigers if we had the funds? Hell of a boot, very quick and a solid pair of hands at full back or on the wing...

(Edit: sorry, has been mentioned in the transfer on non-tigers thread already...)
Te audire no possum. Musa sapienum fixa est in aura.
Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Daly off to pastures new...

Post by Coops »

Word on the street is that he is going to Saracens.
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Fantastic player but the last thing we need is another high wage England International we won't see for a third of the season. Unless Manu's leaving, in which case he'd be a godsend in our midfield.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Someone has dropped he has signed for us,£1.8m for 3 seasons. I expect it's just a windup,I would be horrified if it were true!!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Class player, i expect the destination to be Sarries.
A likely casualty of Wasps move North.
Not everything is about money, although England regulars don't go short.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:04 pm Someone has dropped he has signed for us,£1.8m for 3 seasons. I expect it's just a windup,I would be horrified if it were true!!
Do you have a link Scott?
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Don't worry,phew! It was fake news,a broken Daily Mail link :smt005 got everyone going though
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

I too have heard he is likely so sign for Saracens. Wasp's member told me this morning. However he said that no deal was underway as yet, just rumours of one.
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Confirmed to Sarries. Either somebody big is leaving or their accountants are at it again.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

CitizenSmiff wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:37 pm Confirmed to Sarries. Either somebody big is leaving or their accountants are at it again.
Pretty sure that Bosch and Strettle are leaving. Whether their combined salaries are less than what they are going to pay Daly I wouldn't know.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

I saw Daly make his debut for Wasps against us , here in Wycombe. He carved holes through us left right and centre.

Yes, he has been confirmed as joining Sarries. How do they get so many big times, with the Salary Cap? Are they adding incentives from outside the game, such as new cars, holidays, schooling for kids, etc. etc.? I suspect they are.
Bristol Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bristol Tiger »

Dangerous4 wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:11 pm Yes, he has been confirmed as joining Sarries. How do they get so many big times, with the Salary Cap? Are they adding incentives from outside the game, such as new cars, holidays, schooling for kids, etc. etc.? I suspect they are.
The salary cap is pretty well managed now, and would take into account any of these gifts. Doesn’t stop wealthy benefactors having a separate relationship with an individual, but this is also policed.

I think Saracens now benefit from the Tigers effect - Cockerill (once upon a time) reckoned we got good players more cheaply as they want to play for a successful club that wins things ... can see Daly having that ambition.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Daly and Singleton are apparently going to Sarries for less than Wasps and Worcester offered to keep them.

For Daly his England payments will make the difference in overall wage minimal. 9 starts in 2018 will have seen him earn £225k on top of his Wasps wages.

Whereas Singleton will be thinking that one injury to George would put him straight in the window for England selection given he would then be starting for Sarries. The Sarries pack will make his set-piece work look great as well.

Kruis supposedly isn't on an enormous contract at Sarries either but playing in that pack lines him up for England appearances that add £25k apiece to his overall earnings.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Can't see that at all tbh,there's no way Daly has gone for less imo.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Scott1 wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:55 pm Can't see that at all tbh,there's no way Daly has gone for less imo.
From what I've heard, Wasps came back to Daly with a higher contract than Sarries offered, Sarries didn't budge in response but Daly chose Sarries. It's a case of being on around £450k a year plus his England payments as opposed to £500k plus the same England payments. Hence the difference in his overall, and still vast, earnings is minimal.

He's apparently decided the lower Sarries contract was worth it for the chance to train and play back in London and playing in a side that are routinely competing for trophies.

I'm not saying that there's nothing suspicious about Sarries recruitment - the same Wasps fan who told me the above about Daly is still pretty angry about the manner in which Billy Vunipola followed Mako to Sarries - but Daly is going there for similar money to what Ben Youngs, George Ford and Manu earn at Tigers.