CHALKIE WHITE. A TRUE LEGEND

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

CHALKIE WHITE. A TRUE LEGEND

Post by Dangerous4 »

I noticed in the Tiger's news columns, a very old piece of team selection, in 1979, from the then coach Chalkie White.

Of course, he was the man who took us to being the top side in the country, a position we have held for many years, until recently. He was a truly remarkable man, quiet and gentle. For many years I corresponded with him, until he passed away. We even dined together on a couple of occasions, and a kinder man you will never meet.

I remember asking him how he had managed to make Tigers so successful. He smiled, and quietly said that he picked players who played with their hearts in the game. I realized, and still do, that that was so true.

Thank you Chalkie, for so many happy memories.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: CHALKIE WHITE. A TRUE LEGEND

Post by Dangerous4 »

I guess for most supporters it was before their time, but trust me, Chalkie was instrumental in laying the foundations for the great Leicester teams that were to follow.

He should have a statue erected outside the ground. No kidding!
nasher

Post by nasher »

A true gentleman and inspirational coach. He inspired all his players and many others with values and aspirations not seen today. God bless!
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Did Chalkie play any part in coaching England? I used to stay a lot at the Petersham hotel in Richmond late eighties / early nineties. The England team stayed there before games at Twickenham and we'd often chat to them in the bar. I have a vivid recollection of Messrs Wade, Ackford and Richards being sent to bed at 10pm by a diminutive coach who brooked no argument! I'm wondering if this might have been Chalkie...
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

strawclearer wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:53 pm Did Chalkie play any part in coaching England? I used to stay a lot at the Petersham hotel in Richmond late eighties / early nineties. The England team stayed there before games at Twickenham and we'd often chat to them in the bar. I have a vivid recollection of Messrs Wade, Ackford and Richards being sent to bed at 10pm by a diminutive coach who brooked no argument! I'm wondering if this might have been Chalkie...

I don't recall it, but if he did he never mentioned it to me.

I stayed at that hotel myself on two occasions, prior to John Player Cup finals, and made an early start at the Orange Tree in Richmond, before moving on to the Cabbage Patch, opposite Twickenham station.

Ah, happy days.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Dangerous4 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:16 pm
strawclearer wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:53 pm Did Chalkie play any part in coaching England? I used to stay a lot at the Petersham hotel in Richmond late eighties / early nineties. The England team stayed there before games at Twickenham and we'd often chat to them in the bar. I have a vivid recollection of Messrs Wade, Ackford and Richards being sent to bed at 10pm by a diminutive coach who brooked no argument! I'm wondering if this might have been Chalkie...

I don't recall it, but if he did he never mentioned it to me.

I stayed at that hotel myself on two occasions, prior to John Player Cup finals, and made an early start at the Orange Tree in Richmond, before moving on to the Cabbage Patch, opposite Twickenham station.

Ah, happy days.
They certainly were!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Obviously none of the above posters had a PE class or a CCF fitness session taken by him! Quiet and gentle?
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Old Hob wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:05 pm Obviously none of the above posters had a PE class or a CCF fitness session taken by him! Quiet and gentle?

I was referring to Chalkie outside of the game. He was certainly not quiet and gentle as a coach .Far from it, but the real Chalkie was a true gentlemen
mothy
Tiger Cub

Post by mothy »

Chalkie was my PE teacher at school and started my love for the Tigers from a very early age! I remember school trips back in the late 60's ! A brilliant man and a kind understanding individual who always brought out the best in everyone.