The Six Nations 2019

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

WildGoose
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: The Six Nations 2019

Post by WildGoose »

Not sure if I missed this but has everyone seen the face scratch (and let's face it, where the French pack is concerned, there's always a risk he was going for the eyes) by the French lad first? Quite obviously that doesn't absolve Sinckler (who one imagines will eventually pay a heavy price for this sort of stupidity) but does at least provide some context.

On the other side of the scrum, I think Genge should be the automatic first pick "finisher" behind Mako (or indeed Moon). Can you imagine being a tired defender and seeing the baby rhino trotting on... Can't see that having Moon as the sub makes a lot of sense unless the oppo scrum is truly monstrous (i.e. not the insipid imitation we saw on the weekend)
biffer wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:14 pm
BFG wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:15 pm
Chobbsy wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:31 pm

I thought that also, the hit on the head deserved a penalty, but another ref would have shown the yellow card for the head guard pull as per directive, thanks Nigel !!!
There have been directives for everything, how about the things that actually matter!
Pulling a scrum cap is like pulling hair, it's pathetic stuff that is not worth the fuss other than Owens appropriately putting it down on the spot in my opinion.
Big hard prop pulls hair protector, numpty! :smt005
Sinckler was a lucky boy, a number of refs might well have considered that a blow to the head rather than pulling a scrum cap.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

England have broken Genge again!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Thought to be withdrawn from training as a precaution for a sore ankle. Expected to be fit to train next week and play still against Wales. No replacement had been called up.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:35 pm Thought to be withdrawn from training as a precaution for a sore ankle. Expected to be fit to train next week and play still against Wales. No replacement had been called up.
Phew!!
Soggypitch
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Close shave...
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

WildGoose wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:33 am Not sure if I missed this but has everyone seen the face scratch (and let's face it, where the French pack is concerned, there's always a risk he was going for the eyes) by the French lad first?
I haven’t seen it. Is there a video somewhere?
WildGoose
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by WildGoose »

So i saw one doing the rounds on Twitter that is much more close up but this is the French footage which doesn’t show much. But Sinckler sounded pretty adamant he hadn’t started it.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x725yy0

Obviously he shouldn’t be getting suckered into this sort of thing but I kind of get it.

I also liked that the other England players piled in immediately - a good sign of unity I think

teds wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:15 pm
WildGoose wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:33 am Not sure if I missed this but has everyone seen the face scratch (and let's face it, where the French pack is concerned, there's always a risk he was going for the eyes) by the French lad first?
I haven’t seen it. Is there a video somewhere?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Interesting that Laidlaw starts for Clermont today v BB
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

WildGoose wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:54 am So i saw one doing the rounds on Twitter that is much more close up but this is the French footage which doesn’t show much. But Sinckler sounded pretty adamant he hadn’t started it.
Whether he started it or not is hardly relevant, but he shouldn't have slapped Iturria on the head and grabbing his scrum cap like that. With experience, he'll pick his moment better to "let his feelings known" to an opponent instead of doing it in full view everyone.
I recognise a lot of potential in Sinckler but he's still very raw and the England scrum coach Hatley will be having a word in his ear.
Semper in excretia
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Robespierre wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:58 pm
WildGoose wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:54 am So i saw one doing the rounds on Twitter that is much more close up but this is the French footage which doesn’t show much. But Sinckler sounded pretty adamant he hadn’t started it.
Whether he started it or not is hardly relevant, but he shouldn't have slapped Iturria on the head and grabbing his scrum cap like that. With experience, he'll pick his moment better to "let his feelings known" to an opponent instead of doing it in full view everyone.
I recognise a lot of potential in Sinckler but he's still very raw and the England scrum coach Hatley will be having a word in his ear.
Yes Sinckler and Genge will both need to be careful next Saturday, the Welsh players and crowd will be doing their very best to wind them up. Clear and accurate thinking is called for, plus the usual brute force and aggression obviously!!!

Robes - I told you we'd stuff the French didn't I!! :smt002
Soggypitch
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Soggypitch wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:17 pm
Robes - I told you we'd stuff the French didn't I!! :smt002
Yep, you certainly did!!!
I thought the French would lose, but not by that much!!!!
Semper in excretia
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Many say that the French national side is affected by the amount of foreign players in the Top14.

In today's match between Montpellier and Perpignan, of Montpellier's starting XV there were 5 French, 2 Georgians and a staggering 8 South Africans (of which 3 du Plessis!!).
In comparison, Perpignan had 10 French, 3 from NZ, 1 each from Tonga and Samoa.
I'm pleased to say that Perpignan won their first match of the season, and convincingly by 28-10!! However, they are still 9 points from Agen in 13th place, although the gap's likely to broaden because Agen are currently leading Toulon by 16-3.
Incidentally, both Agen and Toulon have 8 French in their starting XVs.

There must be a message, loud and clear to the FFR to impose restrictions on the number of foreign players in Top14 matchday squads. If not, French rugby will have a hard time getting back to where it belongs on the world stage, and also bearing in mind that the 2023 World Cup will be held in France, they won't want to risk the ignominy of being eliminated after the group stage - and we all remember the last World Cup, don't we?
Semper in excretia
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Robespierre wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:54 pm Many say that the French national side is affected by the amount of foreign players in the Top14.

In today's match between Montpellier and Perpignan, of Montpellier's starting XV there were 5 French, 2 Georgians and a staggering 8 South Africans (of which 3 du Plessis!!).
In comparison, Perpignan had 10 French, 3 from NZ, 1 each from Tonga and Samoa.
I'm pleased to say that Perpignan won their first match of the season, and convincingly by 28-10!! However, they are still 9 points from Agen in 13th place, although the gap's likely to broaden because Agen are currently leading Toulon by 16-3.
Incidentally, both Agen and Toulon have 8 French in their starting XVs.

There must be a message, loud and clear to the FFR to impose restrictions on the number of foreign players in Top14 matchday squads. If not, French rugby will have a hard time getting back to where it belongs on the world stage, and also bearing in mind that the 2023 World Cup will be held in France, they won't want to risk the ignominy of being eliminated after the group stage - and we all remember the last World Cup, don't we?

I am sure that the French national side is weaker because of the high influx of foreign players. It stands to reason.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Ashton ruled out of Wales game. Brown or Big Joe?
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

For those who may not be aware, Guy Noves, the former Stade Toulouse and then France coach, who was sacked to make way for the current gang, is suing the French Rugby Federation (ffr):

« Ils m'ont fait mal, ils ont bafoué mon travail et mon honneur»

(They have done me ill, they have traduced my work and my honour).

Only in 🇫🇷 France
Valhalla I am coming!