The Six Nations 2019

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: The Six Nations 2019

Post by BigDan50 »

Not sure I would have picked Young on his form of late, Robson has a quicker service and is quicker at sniping so I would have given him a start, Launchbury is unlucky not to be picked as well as I consider him to be the best lock in England, apart from those selections I think Eddie has got it right.
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

Well done Kerr! Hopefully he makes his debut.

I'm very surprised that Launchbury isn't in the squad at all.
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

Will S wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:00 pm
chewbacca wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:32 pm Would have preferred Manu at 13 but good luck to our Tigers.
Manu and Slade will switch around a fair bit I would guess
Do you mean swap from inside to outside, or left to right?
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

When you think of our young players getting representative starts, it does bode well for Tigers future. I just hope we hang on to Genge - a prospect I didn't expect to occur after Cockers sacking.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Will S wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:00 pm
chewbacca wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:32 pm Would have preferred Manu at 13 but good luck to our Tigers.
Manu and Slade will switch around a fair bit I would guess
Yes I can see Manu standing at 13 when we are defending first phase scrums/lineouts.
Soggypitch
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

happywomble wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:46 am England starting XV (485 caps)
15 Elliot Daly (Wasps, 25 caps), 14 Jonny May (Leicester Tigers, 40 caps), 13 Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs, 17 caps), 12 Manu Tuiagi (Leicester Tigers, 27 caps), 11 Jack Nowell (Exeter Chiefs, 29 caps), 10 Owen Farrell (Saracens, 65 caps), 9 Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers, 80 caps); 1 Mako Vunipola (Saracens, 51 caps), 2 Jamie George (Saracens, 32 caps), 3 Kyle Sinckler (Harlequins, 17 caps), 4 Maro Itoje (Saracens, 26 caps), 5 George Kruis (Saracens, 27 caps), 6 Mark Wilson (Newcastle Falcons, 8 caps), 7 Tom Curry (Sale Sharks, 5 caps), 8 Billy Vunipola (Saracens, 36 caps).

Finishers (206 caps)
16 Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs, 7 caps), 17 Ellis Genge (Leicester Tigers, 5 caps), 18 Harry Williams (Exeter Chiefs, 15 caps), 19 Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints, 68 caps), 20 Nathan Hughes (Wasps, 18 caps), 21 Dan Robson (Wasps, uncapped), 22 George Ford (Leicester Tigers, 51 caps), 23 Chris Ashton (Sale Sharks, 42 caps).
I don't know what I expected and I am not even sure who I would have picked, but it seems a team that does not excite me compared to the Irish team
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Launchbury is our best lock around the field but doesn't call the lineout ,that's the only thing that goes against him sadly.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

Ireland: Henshaw; Earls, Ringrose, Aki, Stockdale; Sexton, Murray; Healy, Best (capt), Furlong; Toner, James Ryan; O'Mahony, van der Flier, Stander.

Replacements: Cronin, Kilcoyne, Porter, Roux, O'Brien, Cooney, Carbery, Larmour.

Henshaw at full back???
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Henshaw has played there before and is very good under the high ball due to his GAA background (he is actually picked up for restarts during a game!) ,doesn't mean we won't be able to manipulate him though if we kick well. We need to turn Stockdale around too when possible.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I'll make the bold claim that if we swapped halfbacks we would win this game!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Congratulations Kerr for making Scotland bench,well done!
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

I don't see much wrong with the selection. We have a fair bit of depth to choose from so lots of good options and no doubt the WC was much in his thoughts as indeed it should be.

Not a surprise either that Dan doesn't feature despite his recent good form for Tigers. He 'has the tea shirt' so you know what you are going to get should need arise.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Worries for me are Slade,missed a ridiculous amount of tackles in SA and in the AI and hasn't shown much going forward as well as throwing passes straight into touch and Daly who is gonna get bombarded throughout! I think the better balanced MF would've been F and F with Manu outside and I would've started Brown but I see Eddie's reasoning.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Kruis is picked to dismantle the Irish at the lineout... the problem is however is no where near playing his best form at the moment, and adds nothing to the England team other than in the lineout at the moment and had a fairly 💩 game last year versus Ireland. Also Kruis struggles to get in the 1st team at the moment for Sarries and faces fierce competition from Kpoku and Skelton for the 5 jersey. The Lawes/Itoje partnership in the autumn was underrated and destructive.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I think if I were playing for Ireland I'd drop plenty of knock ons and half the England front row will have visited the bin by half time!

As for calling Manu a like for like replacement for Teo. Was Jones winding Manu up just being insulting!