The Six Nations 2019

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Coleshillad
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: The Six Nations 2019

Post by Coleshillad »

#1. 10 is the most important position on the field so you must play your best flyhalf there irrespective of axes or centres or 'strategies' or whatever.

#2. Ford is England's best flyhalf.

Er...that's it!
[/quote]

Cipriani is undoubtedly England's best 10 and has been for many years!
His omission is symptomatic of the face fitting that is often rugby union, and I suspect that he is so knowledgable and talented that it makes limited coaches uncomfortable, which is not uncommon in my experience.
We saw a similar scenario with England and Flood, in my opinion.
[/quote]

Ford and Cips to go to Japan. Contrasting styles. Both dynamic and innovative, and perfectly adequate with boot. Farrell is good, or thought by some to be better than he actually is, but he's been the no. 1 choice for too long with minimum progression. Captain? Definitely not. Do we need him in Japan? Yes, because he could be used at 10, or 12, but still a liability in defence. The no.9 shirt, I fear, is going to be a problem.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

BFG wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:33 am
strawclearer wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:07 am
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:00 am Have no idea what the backline lineup for England will be now for the World Cup. As good as Daly is, he isn’t a fullback so maybe the perfect no.23 player as he can cover multiple positions.

Watson or Brown to play 15. Do we also revert back to the Ford/Farrell axis or stick to the centres in the Six Nations?
Both these views are debatable, of course, but imho...

#1. 10 is the most important position on the field so you must play your best flyhalf there irrespective of axes or centres or 'strategies' or whatever.

Er...that's it!
His omission is symptomatic of the face fitting that is often rugby union, and I suspect that he is so knowledgable and talented that it makes limited coaches uncomfortable, which is not uncommon in my experience.
I thought Farrell was excellent in the first half vs Scotland. Pulling the strings, varying his play, bringing runners in, decoying...superb. Cipriani on the front foot is up there, but if the pack in front of him don't get the go-forward, he struggles, to the point where he'll get frustrated and try the miracle pass/kick, which invariably gets his side into trouble. Farrell is far and away better defensively than him.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

biffer wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:42 pm Didn’t notice this during the game but Tuialgi is lucky it wasn’t picked up. Close to being a straight red

https://twitter.com/markpalmerst/status ... 12580?s=21
Yes, he was very lucky the ref. didn't see that, or he would have walked!
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

Far too quick to see what really happened there
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

westwinds31 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:45 pm
BFG wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:33 am
strawclearer wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:07 am
Both these views are debatable, of course, but imho...

Er...that's it!
I thought Farrell was excellent in the first half vs Scotland. Pulling the strings, varying his play, bringing runners in, decoying...superb. Cipriani on the front foot is up there, but if the pack in front of him don't get the go-forward, he struggles, to the point where he'll get frustrated and try the miracle pass/kick, which invariably gets his side into trouble. Farrell is far and away better defensively than him.
I think this six nations has proved that England are forced to kick the ball away under pressure, they haven't the nous or creativity for anything else.
Against Scotland it started with 9 and 10 being put under the same pressure at the breakdown and the line rush that were the Welsh tactics, possession is too important to be kicking away and especially against these sides that will carve you open on the kick return.
England are back to square one in my opinion.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Dangerous4 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:06 pm
biffer wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:42 pm Didn’t notice this during the game but Tuialgi is lucky it wasn’t picked up. Close to being a straight red

Not so sure - look where Tuillagi's arms were - well below his own shoulders and the Scotland player dips a long way down to try and evade the tackle.

Making the game safer has to include the player being tackled and if you dip down that far it's almost certain any tackler will contact your head or be forced to tackle your knees.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

mol2 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:14 pm
Dangerous4 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:06 pm

Not so sure - look where Tuillagi's arms were - well below his own shoulders and the Scotland player dips a long way down to try and evade the tackle.

Making the game safer has to include the player being tackled and if you dip down that far it's almost certain any tackler will contact your head or be forced to tackle your knees.
It’s the responsibility of the tackler to make sure he doesn’t make contact with the head neck area. Johnson sees it coming and ducks - that’s why he doesn’t get decapitated. It’s disgraceful for the games administrators to not take action on things like this. All this player safety nonsense they come out with is window dressing. Same applies to Farrell and his use of the shoulder.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

LE18 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:39 pm I've just enjoyed watching our Women win their GS, Ok it was very one sided today but England sure do have some exciting women players, including our own brilliant Emily. :smt045 :smt038 :smt038
It was so one sided that I got bored with it and stopped watching.
There was a massive difference in fitness levels with England being the full time players.
I foresee other sides creating their own competition if it continues for too long.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

England were shown up in the second half for their lack of tactics. Farrell may be a good player, but lacks the intelligence to cope with them when the going gets tough. Unable to make important decisions, he is just not good enough to captain England. :smt009
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Dangerous4 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:38 pm England were shown up in the second half for their lack of tactics. Farrell may be a good player, but lacks the intelligence to cope with them when the going gets tough. Unable to make important decisions, he is just not good enough to captain England. :smt009
He stuttered against Italy and I go back to my previous thread as Sam Warburton said, Ford/Farrell is a winning combination. IMO George has the 'eyes' to see what is and what is not 'on'. Cips is, IMO, the only other English qualified 10 that does the same and is good enough? If England cannot take the pressure at 6N level then I do not see them qualifying in Japan for the finals. Their opposition will plan on this weakness?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

TigerCam wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:33 pm
Dangerous4 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:38 pm England were shown up in the second half for their lack of tactics. Farrell may be a good player, but lacks the intelligence to cope with them when the going gets tough. Unable to make important decisions, he is just not good enough to captain England. :smt009
He stuttered against Italy and I go back to my previous thread as Sam Warburton said, Ford/Farrell is a winning combination. IMO George has the 'eyes' to see what is and what is not 'on'. Cips is, IMO, the only other English qualified 10 that does the same and is good enough? If England cannot take the pressure at 6N level then I do not see them qualifying in Japan for the finals. Their opposition will plan on this weakness?
Just watched the Ben Youngs interview. He put it well when comparing the two halves...

"From ruthless to toothless."

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/dean-ric ... s-solution
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

strawclearer wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:36 pm
TigerCam wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:33 pm

Ben states that we need to start building on England's weaknesses, but for goodness sake, how are we going to do that, with the World Cup just around the corner? :smt017
Just watched the Ben Youngs interview. He put it well when comparing the two halves...

"From ruthless to toothless."

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/dean-ric ... s-solution